What is God?

Is he a being?
Is he just nature?
Atoms, elements, all that is dealt with fate and chance?

People have a concept of God as this Zeus like being.
Some have God to be is this unknown thing, that unfolds himself, perhaps a monad.

Why would you believe the concept of God, is it not you have been persuaded by other people, and they been persuaded by another intelligent person, and him persuaded by his own ideas?

So tell me what is God, if you believe it so much. But do not tell me he is the creator, he is a person. Tell me what he is.
I believe he is just a word, that lives only in the moral heart.

deleted

God…the only way it is possible under my logic, is that…
God is the universe and everything it consist of.

so you might as well drop the capital ‘G’ and the ‘o’ and the ‘d’ and just start calling it the ‘universe’.

cause the only way you can ever understand ‘God’ is to understand our universe, this is done through pragmatism not idealism.

How do you know he’s a person???

If you’ve seen him, you should ask him… :wink:

“God” eats life,don’t bother asking that tyrant anything.

Is he a being?

Yes.

Is he just nature?

No.

Atoms, elements, all that is dealt with fate and chance?

No.

Why would you believe the concept of God, is it not you have been persuaded by other people, and they been persuaded by another intelligent person, and him persuaded by his own ideas?

Have you considered the possibility that others could be correct? Persuasion is not wrong if someone else leads you to the truth.

So tell me what is God, if you believe it so much. But do not tell me he is the creator, he is a person. Tell me what he is.

Sounds like you only want to know my opinion if it conforms to your own.

I believe he is just a word, that lives only in the moral heart.

And I believe that you are wrong

A question I have is… does it really matter?
Does God have to actually exist for his words to have any meaning or relevance?

I think the answer to that depends on God’s character, his expectations, and most importantly his power. Whether he is evil or good is an issue. And he has any expectations or demands to make of me is also relevant. But ultimately the main issue is whether he has any kind of power over my life or fate. Then I’d maybe take his words more seriously.

I don’t believe in a predestination. Perhaps one can track a probable path, but no future is set in stone for us.

My point is, say take the teachings of Christ, generally he’s about generosity, peace, and goodwill. Now whether or not he was litterally the Son of God or a son of god it doesn’t diminish the importance of his Words.

no

no,humanity has used words to change history,God is just a word that caused all this nonsense by being made by academic liars.

I disagree with your generalization about the teachings of Christ.

Matthew 10:34
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Jesus teachings are not about goodwill or peace at all. In many repects they are actually much more severe than the Old Testament law. For example …

Matthew 5
21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

I think Jesus’ teachings point to fact that God’s standards are very, very, very high, so high that God cares about our intent and our thinking rather than just our actions. Now if we get back to the question of power. If he has the power to judge us, based on this standard, then we have a problem…

Why don’t you use periods and why don’t you put spaces after commas? Its kinda driving me nuts.

The way I figure it is this, most folks live doing the best they can. I think God knows and understands this. I find it hard to believe that anyone can be condemed by God eternally. I refuse to fear the God who supposedly has infinite love. I won’t believe that God has less potential for forgiveness than humanity.

Besides, how can an infinite being be so vain that he needs us to worship Him?

Plus, what if Christianity is just plain wrong? What if it isn’t? In the world Christianity is becoming a minority which would mean that most of the world isn’t saved and they risk eternal punishment.

The case, I feel, is different than that. I’ve always heard that the true will of God cannot be fully comprehended by humanity, and while the Bible is written about the Word of God it was penned by mortals with flawed vision. That would mean that there are clues to the path of a righteous life to be found in the Bible, but that is not the only path to Truth, it is simply one path.

“Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.” Joseph Campbell

I agree that this seems to make sense. However, I’m not sure it is correct. If we are honest with ourselves I think we all realize that we have a tendancy towards evil. I teach my kids to tell the truth but I don’t need to teach them to lie, they do it naturally. There has to be an answer to this problem (sin), we can’t just ignore it and hope that God will understand.

I believe that God has tremendous potential for forgiveness. But there is a difference between forgiveness and tolerance. I believe that God will forgive our faults if we ask, but he is incapable of tolerating them if we don’t. I’m not saying I fully understand this process or why, but I am convinced that God’s patience is finite and that he will send many people to a place of endless torment if we do not accept his forgivenss and follow his ways. I’m not saying that to frighten you, you are obviously free to dismiss my opinion as some religious crazy man. And I don’t count myself as “safe” either, the prospect of hell is something I think about a lot for myself. I fear hell.

Good question. Don’t know the answer.

Everyone makes a choice. I have chosen to accept the Christian life. It doesn’t make sense sometimes but I am convinced it is the correct way. And I agree with you, as I understand it most of the world will go to hell.

I disagree. I think it is the only way. But your opinion makes a lot of sense.

don’t mind my mistakes,as long as you can read the words nothing is wrong.