Do you fear God?

The bible tells us…

Proverbs 1
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Not only that, but Jesus was also feared…

Luke 8
37Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear.

Yet…

1 John 4:8
8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

How can a God of love induce and/or require fear? And do you fear your God?

My understanding is that the word fear was used rather interchangeably with “awe.” It was meant to denote reverence, not fright.

wordvirus power!!!
is bible respect and belief.

Do you understand the nature of the universe?

Even the most learned of quantum physicists don’t understand why the two worlds work together… the world of the “small” quantum, electrive, magnetic… with the world of the large “newtonian” style physics…

Scientists try their hardest to say nothing was at the big bang…

Atheists try their hardest to say nothing exists outside of the realm of definable science. It’s comforting.

Fear is uncomfortable, some people want to know, others are comfortable not knowing.

They are comfortable with their fear.

fear is pointless,wisdom overpowers knowledge,it is in fact the control of knowledge,for knowledge is power,and i know everything i need 2.

Yeah, but what about the people who asked Jesus to leave. If they were awestruck surely they would want him to stay.

So are you saying that you personally are in awe of God but don’t fear him?
And what about the people who asked Jesus to leave. If they were awestruck surely they would want him to stay?

Can you repost your comment in a more intelligible format?

I’m not sure I understand your point here.

I like your connection between fear and discomfort, I hadn’t really thought about it in those terms. Maybe a related question would be, are we comfortable or uncomfortable with our God? And which would be better? Seems like many of us work towards developing a faith that we can be comfortable with. Maybe we would be better off with an uncomfortable faith?

Fear requires danger.

Donnie Darko Fan:

Shouldn’t this read: for knowledge is power, and i know everything, i need 4

cheers,
gemty

knowledge is an illusion.

power doubly so.

:wink:

The atheist is no different than a theist.

The atheist proclaims comfort in understanding the nature of the universe through science, but no more understands the flow of an electron, than the theist who proclaims understanding the universe through god. the science of the atheist doesn’t explain why we’re here, and the theism of the theist, doesn’t explain how the universe works.

Both claim they “know what they need to know”.

like a puzzle piece, the two work better together…

Think of it more in terms of comfort through fear. The atheist finds comfort in thinking he knows how the universe works and ignores the fact that he doesn’t know why, or why he’s here.

The theist takes comfort in knowing why (god of course!) but not knowing how.

The theist accepts this through fear, and admitting humility of not knowing how.

Fear isn’t dangerous… Fear is not knowing, and being in awe of.

It’s like the people who become deathly afraid of life, because they can’t know what’s going to happen. They could walk outside and be struck by a meoteorite.

Part of living is accepting fear. riding fear.

Let fear be apart of you.

I believe by the fear of god people express their insecurity with the universe and themselves as well. They need something to be constant in the world of confusion and change. And god is constant, he never changes. And so the way of getting along with him is constant. And if you do as he said, you’ll find comfort, not here, but in the sky. The fear is the way which pleases many humans, so it should please god too.

Let’s say this is what fear is, then you said

Would it be possible for a human being to set fear apart? Can we not be in awe of something, can we ever know everything? No, I suppose. So we can accept the fear, but we can’t be free of it, as far as we can’t be free of ourselves.

Hello F(r)iends,

I think god should fear me…

-Thirst

The bible like all things in this world is tainted by satan.

Do you really think you have to fear your father, “what for” why fear love.

Satan’s hold on the world really depends on people fearing god, making people question if god is good, and once you have asked yourself that question you can then begin to doubt god’s existance.

Once one has determined somthing to be bad we wish it didn’t exist.

I personaly can’t wait for arrmagedden, it’s going to be awesome, i hope it’s within my lifetime.

God is love and forgiveness or he doesn’t exist. Either way there is nothing to fear. Some of the crazies who follow God I’m not so sure about.

Correct. I am in awe and do not fear.

I can’t speak as to the motivations behind people asking Jesus to leave.

If the God you believe in is true, then you’re on the right track, Mullfa!

How old are you, anyways?
Information technology is growing expotentially, at a predictable rate, and if you’r young then you’ll probably see some of these in your life time:
*AI that surpasses the human brain,
*molecular construction
*gene-therapy that removes old age and sickness.

I know what it feels like to want God’s will, I can relate…
But an armagedden doesn’t make sense. Armagedden means destroy instead of re-direct and purify the misguided masses of people. Destruction could be instant, but redirection and purification could take a very long time and be tedious.

During the flood, [biblical] ‘God’ promised to never do that sort of thing again…
Imagine that? If ‘He’ promised to never cause a flood-like global distruction again, and if ‘God’ can’t lie, then perhaps even armageddon was misunderstood or warped by ‘Satan’?
What if armageddon was a technological revolution that cured our Adamic [genetic] imperfection, and destroyed false religion by means of “the truth” – scientifically disproving it?
In biblical history it was claimed, at times, that ‘God’ used nations like tools to destroy evil. Is God using science now?.. to someday cure genetic imperfection, and destroy all false-religion?

gemtry,
4 is the supreme number of the universe.

Can you uphold the power of TimeCube? apparently not.