Silancing theists:

Greetings.

I am bored and have some time now.

Please post your lies here, or, as you would rather word it:
“Enlighten” [me] about “the grace of God, and the sacred truth.”
Then I can ask a few questions.

Good luck with the results Dan~ :wink: .

lo. :laughing:

Proving God is about as hard as asking him to save your dad’s life when he’s terminally ill.

OK, I’ll start with the the most obvious question that a disbeliever would ask;

I’ve never seen, heard, nor felt God, nor has anyone I know, and all the claims that God has done something has not been 100% proven. Could you give indisputable proof that God exists?

Dan

Only the boring are bored.

Hello F(r)iends,

Amen.

-Thirst

IMO, we all slip into boredom here and there, but “the boring” are the ones who stay like that, whereas “the interesting” soon find a way out of it. If by means of this thread Dan escapes his boredom, then that would suggest he belongs to the latter category :slight_smile:

What would that prove? … That the tail wags the dog? No, I don’t think you will ever find that sort of proof.

Speaking of lies,

Dan~, I can’t help but notice that your thread title and your opening message have completely opposite connotations! Assuming I’m guileless for the moment, what is it you really want from this thread? Once a theist knew what you really wanted, could you expect them to participate?

I’m tiered of people liein’.
So I’d like for people such as iman to come here and show me how right they are instead of posting it on other threads.

It’s like:
“Keep the God-crap here, on this thread, and out of schools, etc”.

Also I’m not contradicting myself in my thread title and replies, because I am not taking the pro-God stance of the argument. What made you think I was pro-God?

Yes, we need iman here - this discussion is crying out for clarity :smiley:

It’s actually a good sign if no-one here yet is a theist.

Gee, why don’t you ask a question for which any answer is beyond words? Then we could blah blah blah for several pages worth…

Silence away…

No.

First I’d like to actually define what I mean when I say “God” so that I can effectively be silenced without quirky misunderstandings for me to weasel through. The universe is everything that exists; God made that (virtually every monotheistic view holds this) and is that. So, everything that exists is part of God; God is imminent. God isn’t just the universe though; at the very least, He’s a set of constant principles that govern the way the universe operates. In this respect, God is also transcendent. By being both the rule and ruled of the universe–by being everything and that which defines everything–God unifies existence; God is one entity, and, therefore, so is existence.

Okay; why would anyone bother believing in metaphysics like that? For me, taking away God, assuming God does not exist, is basically assuming there is no order, pattern, or continuity to existence. Without this constancy, we can’t justify anything; we don’t know the effects of our actions, or know if our actions are real or purposeful. It would seem pragmatic to assume things are ordered: If we contrarily assume we don’t have any purpose for doing anything, then even assuming we don’t have any purpose would be meaningless.

Dan~

Well, you have to start somewhere, I suppose. Isn’t that a rather low bar though, even for you?

Well, your opening post is about trying to get theists to speak up and enlighten you. Your thread title is about trying to get them to shut up. See the difference there? A cynical person could read that to mean that you think you're hot-shit compared to all the theists here, and just want to humiliate them into stunned silence with your cutting prose. Or, conversely, that you aren't going to actually listen to anything that's said, and just look for opportunities to take cheap shots. 
 These are my concerns, Dude.

Hi Ucc,

You aren’t suggesting this thread is a bit of a troll are you? I would never have guessed. :wink: I’m amazed that with three or four threads and about a half dozen pages of getting past all the ‘knowing’ of the ineffable, that here we are ‘proving’ God once again…

JT

Well you know, and I know, but some people think they’re being clever!

Not me! You won’t see me casting any pearls in this wallow of a thread, not without a lot more convincing. Though, now that you mention it, I think I do have a pretty sweet argument against the Ineffable brewing!

If you are an atheist, I guess proof of God would be nice but that is not how it works. because that would taked away our freedom. Our choice to act morally or not because lets face it we’d feel kinda obliged! What we have to do is what Kierkegaard called a leap of faith. While Im in no way condoning religous dogma. And Dan maybe those are the guys u have a problem with, the guys who KNOW god exists and force their value system on others but having faith in God is compatible with a philsophical mind and having uncertainty. But i do believe religious belief should be derived after philosophical inquiry if it is to be authentic

Uccisore proffers:

Oooh! Oooh! Bring it on! =D>

I’m too stupid to understand this…