Fasting:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting

I’ve just been reading this and I found it interesting.

I will try to personally do the fast, the way that these mice had done it. Not eat one day, eat doubble the next day, etc. I want to see what the health benifites are.

There are even more “religious” fasting practices and reasons then listed within the wikipedia entry, and I think that the reason why fasting appears to be so “spiritual”–is a complex reason.

IMO, this may be a form of gnosis if done correctly, in that the mind-body enters a new state in which new things can be realized that were previously unknown.

I suggest for anyone interested in “spirituality” or their own physical health, and if medically able, should try a 1 day fast [starting when you wake up, ending when the sun sets]. Don’t even eat one potatoe-chip, this may ruine the effect, as the body state chances as soon as solids enter the stomach. Drink lots of water at this time also. This is just my suggestion, becuase I am remembering the methods of medical [alternative health care] fasting practice, totally foodless with much water.

I do not think the no-food & no-water fasts are a “good idea”.

I was attempting to do a two day fast today and yesterday. I made it all the way through the first day and today, actually now yesterday, I fucked up and ate a piece of chocolate. It sparked the hell outta my urges to eat and the rationalization began to ensue. I fucked up. Oh well. As far as reaching a higher state of consciousness. By the end of the night (I work a night job) of the first day, it was really easy for me to slip into meditation. I mean it was like my head was permanently there. I feel like if I had gone longer, I might have reached a higher state of consciousness for a while. Try it out Dan and let me know what happens.

Great! Thanks for the feed back!

I am only aiming for one day, though. =)

Fasting should never be attempted without the proper preparation and research. One day of eating too much and one day of eating nothing at all is not a beneficial method for any reason.

The thing about fasting that helps you to slip into meditation is because the body is pure. When the body is pure the mind is pure and one is more easily able to focus and clarity is the result. Fasting is used in many schools of thought as a healing tool from the psychological to the physical. However, for spiritual reasons, merely fasting is not enough, one has to train one’s mind also.

A

LA,

“Fasting should never be attempted without the proper preparation and research.”

You’re right. water-fasts can’t be done by a person who has a very bad sort of blood sugar problem, for example.

~

Personally.

I’ve been fasting for 8 1/2 hours now, and I had not eaten anything during the time at night in which I sleeped. I sleeped for many hours.

The “self control” issue for me is very easy to deal with here, as regards the hunger. I cooked some fantastic batch of pasta in my spair time. I think when I am hungery, I can imagine taste more clearly and understand how to satisfy a desire more accurately. But I did not eat it yet, I just made all of it for later.

I plan on eating before I go to bed, so that I have done a 24hour water-fast.

I suggest anyone who is able should try this, as an exersize of self control, and also as a healthy practice.

L.A., you and me both know the validity of heopathics, sista.
:wink:

Dan,

You really shouldn’t break a fast with pasta. Fresh fruit and veggetables preferrably raw is the appropriate way for the body to absorb nutrients. Also never eat before going to sleep, it causes the system to become sluggish.

Sincerely,
A

She wants to change my wicked ways. :laughing:

Well I cannot sleep when I am hungery, it’s just the way that I am.

There were veggetables in my pasta here, but what made you suggest avoiding the high carbohydrate meal at the end of the fast?

Fasting as a method to enter a “higher consciousness” can be done, but it is hard on the body. It isn’t about ‘cleansing’ or ‘purifying’ anything. What you are doing is deliberately upsetting chemical balances in the body - including the brain. In effect, you are stressing the cells of the body in order to produce an altered state of consciousness. It is a practice almost as old as man and is merely a ‘short cut’. The use of drugs for the same purpose is just as old. The results of such efforts to short-circuit normal brain activity are questionable. A higher consciousness or just a greater desire for a Twinkie?

There are other ways to still the mind, and they are much less stressful, and because they are in concert with the body, more likely to produce lasting experiences.

By all means, pay attention to a reasonable and balanced diet, but starving the cells of the body is a chemistry experiment, and any “insight” from such practice says more about chemistry than any trancendent state of consciousness.

brother tentative,

I don’t completely agree with you here. I, (personally, in my opinion, with no intent of purporting what is best for others, of my own mind, of individual belief, of personal experience), am known to fast entirely for the reasons of:

1.) Allowing the digestive system a respite.

2.) Allowing my entire system to be free to use only water and detoxifying herbs to cleanse.

Fasting for enlightenment, I will agree, (personally, in my opinion, with no intent of purporting what is best for others, of my own mind, of individual belief, of personal experience), is creating an unnecessary/unnatural stress on the system, which can be achieved through more balanced esoteric methods.

I’ve read too many good things about the health-factors behind fasting to ignore it.

I’m fasting again today. :smiley:

tentative:
Have you read about fasting clynics and what they are good for yet?
As in, a medical practice–not about mind-altering-stress, but about specific healing factors?

Dan asks,

The little I’ve read about fasting clinics suggest that there are a few who are qualified to do the necessary testing that would be of benefit. There are many others that are either unqualified to prescribe a fasting regimen or are of the “fad” variety.

There can be many benefits to fasting for a number of specific body ailments. Because we are talking about altering body chemistry, one shouldn’t just guess what is going to be beneficial. Unless one has an up to date metabolic test series run, the ‘condition of your condition’ isn’t known in any but the most vague guestimate. Further, unless you are very well trained in knowing how fasting affects body chemistry as well as being highly skilled in interpreting metabolic tests, prescribing any particular fasting regimen is questionable.

Still, many will attempt to tell you do this or do that based on their ‘seasoned’ judgement. If it makes you feel good, then by all means, do it. Just know that there is no basis for knowing the effects other than placebo guestimating.