Hindu term confusion?

Can someone tell me, what is is difference in the Hindu religion between
“Brahma” and “Brahman”? It it some sort of Sanskrit declension?

Much thanks in advance,
mrn

Brahma is part of the trinity in the Hindu system. Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Brahma is the creator, Vishnu is the preserver and Shiva is the destroyer. Although seen as separate gods, they are really all one and the same but with different attributes. Brahma is what is referred to as God.

The word Brahman originally meant “power” in Sanscrit and specifically referred to the power of prayer or sacrifice to bring about change in the world (hence the word brahmin for priest), so that Brahman seems to refer to the power that brings about and changes the physical universe. In the Upanishads , Brahman is not only the principle and creator of all there is, but is also the sum totality of the universe and its phenomena. Brahman is what Lao Tse called Tao or what the Holy Bible refers to as the Word.

A

All commentary; verbal, written or digitally transmitted; by this poster is expressly a matter of personal opinion, individual belief, personal experience, and is not intended to purport necessity of change(s), implied/perceived, to other posters; physical, mental or emotional. Any attempt to treat this post in a manner contradictory to what has been thusly stated, is erroneous, and is the fault, entirely, of the reader of said post.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyy

Oooooooooooopaaaaannnnnniiiiiiiissssssshhhhhaaaaaaaddddddsssss …

It’s like a spiritual delicacy.

One question: Why no mention of Kalimah? Is she not worthy of mention? She is kind of important in the context of mentioning Shiva …

How do you mean? Is my explanation incorrect?

A

Maybe he is feeling like critisizing instead of adding-to and repairing the subject?

Trying on his new skin?

Thanks LA.

All commentary; verbal, written or digitally transmitted; by this poster is expressly a matter of personal opinion, individual belief, personal experience, and is not intended to purport necessity of change(s), implied/perceived, to other posters; physical, mental or emotional. Any attempt to treat this post in a manner contradictory to what has been thusly stated, is erroneous, and is the fault, entirely, of the reader of said post.

Not at all angelic one, no criticism at all.

It was merely a playful addition, because my department at work has about two hundred Eastern Indians, so I have spent some time in discourse with them about their beliefs and texts.

Not all, but a number of them describe Kalimah as the other face of Shiva, she who clears away for the creator God to refurbish.

Dan, you can have your pettiness, I have no need of it … was just having fun because this is another area that liquidangel and I share some common interest, and it entertains my mind to see it actually brought out and discoursed of, intelligently.

In India there are three hundred and fifty six languages, comprising sixteen hundred and fifty two dialectics … and virtually every religion is displayed and accepted there.

Plethoric interpretations are guaranteed, so “being correct” isn’t an issue, it’s all perspective and understanding.

Mastriani,

Kalimah is a declaration of faith in the Islamic tradition.

Perhaps you are referring to Kali, which is one of Shiva’s Shaktis (or could be interpreted as consorts). Shakti is the divine force, manifesting to destroy demonic forces and restore balance. Every God has his Shakti without which they have no power. Lakshmi is the energy of Vishnu. Parvati is energy of Shiva. Shakti is also called Devi or Mahadevi, assuming different roles as Sati, Parvati, Durga and Kali.

Brahma, in order to create the world and produce the human race, created a goddess out of himself, one half woman and the other half man. Brahma called the woman Gayatri, but she also became known by many other names such as Saraswati.

A