Why is God male?

The word god does not belong to just Christianity. Christianity is not just based upon what was written many generations ago. Christianity has many different branches, Christ is the trunk and his teachings brought forth many full and diverse branches.

The bible may be interpreted many ways. God created the species of man in its image, it does not state male. The physical body of man was never a great thought it was the creation of man’s mind that was the true creation and image. The physical body is just the cough choke giggle package *giggle
For a godly creature to have a gender that would lead to an opposite gender meaning there would be more then one god and or baby gods. and frankly the way things are going I could almost believe God is being distracted by a nagging mate. :slight_smile:

not quite… i never said i KNOW i have no business with god… and i certainly wouldn’t emphasise it…
i should add ‘i think’ to every sentence i write or speak… i do this often, but it gets a bit annoying so i don’t always :slight_smile:

patience and faith with an abstract, irrelevant concept? sorry…
i prefer life down here on earth with people who - i’m almost certain - are worthy of patience, faith and respect

I believe we all are wanting to live life down here with people that are worth of those things. Its what makes life good. My only question is that if you think you do not know why not go and seek the answers instead of commenting on that you do not know?

If you have a question about something I will be happy to help if I can, or at least someone here hopefully will have your answer! But by all means do not… NOT ask the question!

Remember, to hold the position of not knowing and then maintaining that God is unknowable is a paradox! If you dont know… then how may you know that God is unknowable? I wanted to put that out there because I have heard this many times from some (not all) agnostics.

I have found in many cases that because of some kind of reasoning people make such statements so that they have an excuse to avoid a confrontation!

sigh

like i said… i don’t ‘know’

Dont feel so glum… I was stating a generalization about my dealings and reasonings with other agnostics. It was not directed at you. Everyone will be reading these posts. I generaly try to make statements in a broader sense rather than just limiting to the person I am replying to. Kinda like… if another agnostic wishes to jump in the fray they already have some of my comments handy to work with.

Its all good. I am a debating spirit myself, and I often come off as aggressive and rude. But I am call it like I see it kinda guy.

How do you know if God is male or not? God has no name. Jesus was a male, Jesus was God. Yet, God is the great “I am”. If God were a male, how can a male create a female? God is both male and femle, and He is neither. :smiley:

There is no other option that God is a male.

The Holy Father right ? I have never heard any body say the Holy Mother

Strange enough: we are talking about Mother Earth?

The only logical reason for me is that God is as well the creator of the world as the leader and the one who makes the desicions. A male is biological more capable of leading than a female.

Females are the ones who give birht and make new life. Thats why, in my view, we talk about mother Earth

Even though many people like to attribute God as being male because of all the chauvanistic people down here, it is still very short sighted to consider that God is anything other than Male.

You apparently think that God has shortchanged himself and failed to make it known what gender He is, when in fact there is a great deal of information available regarding Gods gender. He is male… He is not both. You keep letting your mind wander to be clouded by the earthly concept of male and female. God transcends this petty concept! This concept of male and female is an earthly thing and will not be the same when we pass to the Next life!

God is the creator of ALL things and He doesn’t require a female for anything. Only men on earth need females. God created women for the glory of man and as a Helpmeet. Assigning God some attribute of a man’s need is absolutely off par!

God is male… people just need to get over it!

Actually in Chinese it is said ‘Ming Ming Shang Di’ or ‘Bright Bright Shining Light’ or God is referred to as ‘Holy Mother’.

A

What does male mean, anyway? I don’t understand how an incorporeal, unique Being that’s existed since the beginning could have qualities that make It male or female. Forgetting for now the actuall question of if God IS male or female, I want to know if the question even makes any sense at all. What would it mean for a Being without a body to be male?

A very valid question. We as human assign male based on anatomical properties. While it would not be surprising if God did not possess all the properties a human male does, there secondary idelogical application of what a male is then applies.

Being male in other aspects is not exclusive to anotomy, but also to personality. Because Gods personality is NON Submissive and Commandeering His personality is male. A female personality is typically submissive and non-commandeering. And before someone goes grape-nuts these are only the general rule and not the absolute!

We assigne the name TomBoy to girls that are physically active and does more boy like activities in youth. This is not really a big bad thing in society… but when a Boy does more girlish things it is generally not looked upon very well. Boys are more or less required to behave manish where girls are allowed much greater latitude in behavior.

Because of the often associated views of being male are mainly part of personality and not just wholesale physical characteristics!

In this Fashion We know that God is most certainly Male!

Astral,

As an agnostic of the first water, let me splain something. There is a distinct difference between being aware of something and knowing about that something. Many or all have experienced “something”, and we can give that something any name we wish, but it does not follow that we now know anything other than the fact that we have experienced “something”. We can say “God is like…” until we run out of words, and it does absolutely nothing to help us know anything.

To suggest God is this or that is anthropomorphizing. We attempt to explain “God” in our terms. The experiencing of that which we call God is beyond our puny attempts to contain all that name is in words.

To suggest that God is male or female is past ridiculous. It is nothing more than human attempts to assign attributes to that which they may not know. Experience God? Yes. KNOW God? Foolishness.

The agnostic has spoken.

I am going to try and break you of your Agnosticism. The true meaning of Agnostic is admittance of NOT KNOWING!

Now that we have established that you admit that you do not know, How can you come back to try and correct me? It is like the blind thinking they can lead someone who sees!

It is very fundamental that as an Agnostic that you do not bother to try and correct anyone and imply that they are wrong. The best you can do is to ask how can I know this when so many others do not! And that my friend is a very very valid question. You would do well to seek that answer for yourself, instead of sitting around and avodcating that people should never bother to learn because you in all your admitted ignorance believe that people cannot know God.

You are being the very symbol of a paradox has nothing to base your position on because it breaks against itself!

Astral,

You are not reading or if you are, you are reading into. Not knowing does not mean not experiencing. Perhaps this is lost on you, but read it again about 10 times and think about it.

Not knowing does not mean not experiencing.

The ‘true’ meaning of agnosticism is whatever I say it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

I’ll ignore the derisive tone of your statement - this time.

1. I don’t sit around.
  2. I don’t advocate people should not bother to learn
  3. I admit no ignorance of God.

It seems rather obvious that you are having problems with understanding the difference between experiencing and knowing. There is absolutely nothing paradoxical about that statement.

It might be a good idea to let go of a little bit of certainty. That others have a different viewpoint doesn’t make them wrong.

Astral-

Is there a difference between being male, and being 'like' a male?  For example, the famous nude Statue of David.  Is that statue really [i]male[/i] or is it a genderless lump of stone that represents a male?
In the case of God, I agree he posesses personality traits that make Him easier to compare to a human male than a female. I disagree, though, that this makes it technically correct to say "God is male".

It is apparent that people are on the hard ball road to make things out to be as they wish them to be.

in a quote from tenetive.

The ‘true’ meaning of agnosticism is whatever I say it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Since your the progenitor of this word I should defer to “whatever YOU say it is”. I dont think so.

Word History: An agnostic does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist. The term agnostic was fittingly coined by the 19th-century British scientist Thomas H. Huxley, who believed that only material phenomena were objects of exact knowledge. He made up the word from the prefix a-, meaning “without, not,” as in amoral, and the noun Gnostic. Gnostic is related to the Greek word gnsis, “knowledge,” which was used by early Christian writers to mean “higher, esoteric knowledge of spiritual things” hence, Gnostic referred to those with such knowledge. In coining the term agnostic, Huxley was considering as “Gnostics” a group of his fellow intellectuals“ists,” as he called themwho had eagerly embraced various doctrines or theories that explained the world to their satisfaction. Because he was a “man without a rag of a label to cover himself with,” Huxley coined the term agnostic for himself, its first published use being in 1870.

Now that we know the word is an adaptation from what etymology states is GNSIS which is knowlege the very meaning of Huxley’s usage is to claim ignorance*.

This label plainly states that experience means nothing because under that statement no amount of experience yeilds knowledge as such knowledge is UNKNOWABLE.

So again. How can you, being an admitted ignorant*, claim to know what you know?

*if you wish to take the term ignorant as an insult then you misunderstand its meaning.

What purpose does muddling the water with complete abstract comments such as these serve?

Everywhere I go I see people trying to blur the lines everywhere I go. I can only think that something is offensive to them for some reason and just cannot stand the way things are.

God refers to Himself as Male. Why is it that people just cant Believe God? Is someone implying God is a liar?

People back in the day who Experienced God had no mistakes about it, its only with all this new age psycobabble that is causing peopel this kind of distress. This is not to imply that this question has not been discussed in the past, but psycology certainly helps to make the issue worse!

And the people today who have recieved the Holy Spirit likewise have no uncertain questions about it. There has always been a resounding GOD is Male reply when the question is asked!

Muddying the water? It seemed like a pretty straightforward question to me. You said that God is a male because His personality is more like a male than a female. I was simply asking if that’s enough- statues, paintings, trees, all sorts of things can share qualities that we think of as male or female, without actually BEING either one.

I’m a Christian, and you really are preaching to the choir here- no, I don’t think God is a male, because I think to be male, He’d have to be a physical creature, an animal. But you can define the word any way you want. I would just suggest that “Anything that seems non-submissive and comandeering” might be a little too broad of a definition for ‘male’, and may get you into trouble down the road.

Astral,

It is obvious that you place a great deal of faith in definitions, as if somehow those definitions are reality. So go ahead and let the words be the reality. It isn’t an uncommon position to take.

Male first thought