Televangelists and other fanatical Christians are hyping up the fear of the End of Days with a bullshit calendar date. Let’s be frank here, assuming the Devil were to exist; are we to believe that he would conform to a man-made dating system: the Gregorian Calendar?

Okay… I blew some steam on that. Now to get to the real topic.

Why 666? (Why not 392?) What is the esoteric meaning of 666? Last I recall, it symbolizes the Christian Unholy Trinity, opposing the Holy Trinity symbolized by 777. Of course, that leads to more questions. Why 777, and what is the esoteric meaning of that, even? (Don’t quote Aleister Crowley, please.)

Yet, this leads to even more questions… what is 555, 444, 333, 222, 111, and 000? Even that, what could be 888 and 999? Such numbers must have significance if reknowned numbers as 666 and 777 are to be labeled as such. There must be a systemic hierarchy! What could it be?

Thanks for pointing out the date :slight_smile:

(Not that it means anything…)

This date is actually very usefull evidence for anti-christians. If nothing sinister happens today, it’s one step closer to proving Christianity is a load of crap… to put it bluntly.

Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.

• Revelation, 13:18

The universe is made up of numbers in it’s physical structure, it is mathematical in nature.

In numerology and indeed in sacred geometry the number 6 has always been associated with woman and with vision (feminine or yin). The number 3 is associated with children and creativity. The number 9 is associated with man and (hu)man (masculine or yang). Yin represents the body or the earth, yang represents the spirit or the heavens. (6x3=9 or 6+6+6=18 [1+8=9]). The number 9 is also, in numerology, the number of Christ, Buddha etc if one looks at the Kabbalah where each number from 1 - 9 holds a position or a value. So the number 9 is the highest potential in mankind - it is the spiritual nature (aligned with the heavens) or in this context the Christ nature.

In Buddhism there is a beautiful explanation - a perspectival difference.

Desire for forms and all the rest
Make up a list of six desires;
And each of these is then perceived
To triply manifest itself.

• The Visuddhi-Magga, chapter xvii

The 6 desires are; desires for forms, desires for sounds, desires for odors, desires for tastes, desires for things tangible and desires for ideas. Each of these desires corresponds to the 6 senses, the eyes, the ears, the nose, taste, touch and mind and through these six senses the six desires become the six consciousnesses.

I believe that whatever perspective is ours - this particular issue is hinting at overcoming that which is physical (the beast) in order to attain that which is spiritual. Nothing superstitious or evil about it.

Since sky and earth are mindless,
They last forever.
What has mind has limits.
A person who has attained
The Path is like this too.
In the midst of no activity,
She carries out her activities,
Accepting all unfavorable
And favorable circumstances
With a compassionate heart.

• Yunmen (864-949)

A

Thank you so much for that brief and insightive explaination Angel; no other spirit on this site could possibly match your blessed purity.

I’d like to shoot for 9, and hope the rest of humanity wishes to also!

What would make you think that hardline conservative Christians wouldn’t “make” something bad happen and then use it to corroborate the existence of ultimate evil?

Sage asks,

They don’t need to make something bad happen as there is always something “bad” happening somewhere depending on one’s perspective. Remember, these same people are capable of knowing that a hurricane or a tsunami or earthquake or a… is God’s punishment for our wicked ways.

Whether it is numerology, reading tea leaves, or auguring the entrails of a sacrificial animal, the answers are always found in the questions. Of course, we’re far more sophisticated now. In our modern existence we augur words, which is obviously much more efficacious. :unamused:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

I honestly don’t see the point of arguing over a date that is before and after my birth right day , pointless and inhuman.
we all have better things to do , numbers construct and contradict themselves as a motion for our reactions and pains/pleasures.
666 like all other numbers has a simultaneous goal that is used every day either faded in wich you think it’s not there or exposed in the sense of fear and caution of any situation we put ourselves in.

Education and spiritual “phenomena” should not be placed in the same room with avarice the results are cataclysmic and yet we remain paralyzed with disagreements but safe by the deaths of others , it’s a mad world after all.
Sagesound by making this post i’m not for or against anyone except myself unless of course you would like to play a game with Lyseract and me , that would be nice.
Liquidangel you make your expressions clear and pure , well explains the liquid part =D> .

6 is an old number which means to cut.

It stands for man cutting off all ties and connections with God.

I haven’t heard any Televangelist hype up 666 at all.

You’re all most likely wrong. Two days ago there were several historians on NPR ( I think it was that station) and they were talking about how Christians in the time of John refered to political leaders, especially Roman ones, with numbers. It’s more likely that 666, the running beast of Hell is actually a refrence to the emperor who was feeding lions 3 square meals of fresh Christian per day.

Read the first paragraph of this link

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

“…whereas some scholars, such as Dr. Delbert Hillers and the editors of the Oxford & Harper Collins translations, contend that the number is a code for the Roman Emperor Nero,[1] a view that is also supported by the Roman Catholic Church.[2][3]”

Apoc 13: 18

“Here is wisdom. he who has understanding, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: and it’s number is six hundred and sixty-six”

Which brings into play what Disgruntled Human has stated.

So we’re refering to a man who name adds up to 666. Oddly enough the Pope is refered to as a Vicarius Filii Dei (meaning “son of God”) and even odder the name adds up to 666. The connection was first made by Andreas Helwig in 1612 in his book “The Roman Antichrist”.

I think it’s more to the point that the number is refered to “any man who does evil”.

Incidently “Hell” was a dump on the outskirts of Jerusalem in Hinnom Valley (GEHENNA). Every day they would “burn the rubbish”. And parents (as parents often do) used to tell their children that if they were naughty they would be sent to "burn in “hell”

how on earth does it prove anything if nothing happens? like he said, it’s not as though beelzebub is gonna go “hey! it’s 6/6/06! i should kill people today! haha!”

it’s just as stupid as god deciding to end the world when the ball fell on the new millenium. who’s to say it’ll all end at 12:00 midnight in my time zone?

Well, if we all died at 12 midnight in our own timezones, we wouldn’t know that anything was wrong becuase everyone would be dead so we wouldn’t know!

Hey, wanna know something cool?

If you say ‘six’ a bunch of times really fast it sounds like sex.

Susie Goldman has cooties too!

If the world’s ending tonite it better fucking hurry up. Almost there.

Ah, yes, what a great day, like children leaving home and becoming independent.

“I admit that my visions can never mean to other men as much as they do to me. I do not regret this. All I ask is that my results should convince seekers after truth that there is beyond doubt something worth while seeking, attainable by methods more or less like mine. I do not want to father a flock, to be the fetish of fools and fanatics, or the founder of a faith whose followers are content to echo my opinions. I want each man to cut his own way through the jungle.”
Source: The Confessions of Aleister Crowley^

I thought 666 had been discreditied?

From a previous post:
ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … 37b6227625

Thank you Dan, for providing me with a very hearty laugh as it was my intent to stoke someone into posting something of Crowley by merely saying not to. Not that Crowley should be taken seriously, but it is humorous that someone would ever willfully claim themselves as the “Beast,” and I’m not talking about Hank McCoy. The “wickedest” man ever to live? Hah! Hitler, maybe, but Crowley?

I said it in a joking manner really, and I said one step closer to proving, not just proving, that the devil doesn’t exist. Meh.

Howd’ya know that, did Beelzebub pop in and tell you?