Community

Look. There was one who was enlightened with the sound of a bamboo being struck and another who clarified his mind upon seeing peach blossoms. Is the bamboo bright or dull, deluded or enlightened? Are peach blossoms shallow or deep, wise or foolish? Although flowers blossom year after year, not everyone who sees them is enlightened. When a bamboo cracks, not everyone who hears it realizes the way.

Enlightenment and clarity of the mind occur only in response to the sustained effort of study and practice. Endeavoring in the way ripens the conditions of your practice. It is not that the sound of the bamboo is sharp or the color of the blossoms is vivid. Although the sound of the bamboo is wondrous, it is heard at the moment when it’s hit by a pebble. Although the color of the blossoms is beautiful, they do not open by themselves but unfold in the light of springtime. Studying the way is like this. You attain the way when conditions come together. Although you have your own capacity, you practice the way with the combined strength of the community. So you should practice and search with one mind with others.

• Dogen (1200-1253)

A

There is community of mind. There is practice to find and dwell in our center. Bamboo and peach blossoms are but turning words that await our transformation. In a hut at the base of a mountain or in the crowded streets of a city, community is found in heart/mind. It is and always has been so.

Very nice angelic one, very poignant with the conversations of late.

Do you perceive it is errant to seek more to one’s self?

Do you perceive other minds help us complete the walk, or is the author speaking euphemistically?

Mastriani,

Nobody else can do it for you.

I have been thinking about this community thing. Oh how wonderful to encounter one other who cultivates spiritually and with whom one can discuss the scenery along the way (sigh). But I think that Dogen is referring to the mirror of the community.

A

Explain further please.

Well that we need others of like mindedness help us to encourage ourselves. It is easy to be still when there is no-one around. It is only in the presence of others that we begin to observe our own behaviour. How we are affected by each other is a direct indication of where we are truly at. How we behave in the presence of others. We need the community on so many levels. All really in an effort to grow. Not just ourselves but to grow within a community. To increase the awareness of the whole.

A

But as we too often see, even here in the ambiguous and imaginary “community” of ILP …

We have a greater tendency to lead one another off, than to solidify our person’s as a unified collective of progressive learning and thought.

Or am I wrong again?

Mas,

Could it possibly be that both community and solitude are benficial to our growth? I spoke of the turning word with purpose. Even here one cannot know whether or which word leads to new insight. So whether knee-to-knee contact, or in ephemeral internet ‘connections’ the potential of community is of benefit. To be sure, our ability to be led astray is always there and one must remain mindful of that, but in solitude does not our introspection become our teacher once again?

I guess it really depends on the individual. I know what I want.

I wasn’t necessarily referring to ILP, I think I was referring to the unity of the community that exists without boundaries. Again, how we see the world and and ourselves in it is key to (if we are so inclined) understanding who we are.

A

Thank you both, but apparently I am daft and befuddled … and remain I as I, I island.

Community has never been well understood by me, nor has it seemed to be overly beneficial.

Introspection on the other is where, in my perception, growth occurs, at its’ own rate of course.

Oh well, nothing wrong with being freakishly antisocial …

Not to get off topic but what do you mean by a community without boundaries? how is this achieved? There must be a boundary some where or you have Total Anarchy.

Interesting this…I was thinking… and I remain I as eye.

A

I am sorry, I have a tendancy not to speak plainly when trying to communicate certain ideas, which leaves some feeling confused. Two reasons, one because there are those who understand me (and it is the way that my mind works) and two because it leaves the room for exploration.

In the realm of spirituality, there are no boundaries. When it comes to cultivating spirituality, of course there are boundaries, but boundaries are for flesh and blood.

A

Only if the “eye” you are speaking of is the diadem of the spirit?

Or, Mastriani is just an idiot?

The valley spirit never dies… - Tao Te Ching

What else would I be speaking of brother?

A

I see… so you believe more or less all religions are either just lost humans seeking or that they all inexorably lead to God? Or There is no God and that we will all just join the great spirit path in the sky or where ever?

Just so you know I am not mocking. I am sincerely inquisitive. I am a Christian but I still collect “other” thoughts to learn.

How do you come to these ‘possible’ conclusions as to what I may or may not believe? Forgive me but it appears that you have already made up your mind about me.

A

I know I have … definitely. Then again, not too many alternative conclusions one can attain, when faced with an angel.

Mas, you are too kind.

A

Mas,

You have a family. You have co-workers. You live in a neighborhood, inside a town or city. In each place you interact with others. Each experience brings new affective and cognitive information - not just about others, but about yourself as well. There is also a special community each of us cultivates. We collect around us those who are on a similar path. Those who intuitively “understand” (a little) where and who we are.

“Birds of a feather flock together”.

From these interactions comes the learning experiences. It is true that most of us consider these experiences in after-the-fact introspection, but that is simply another part of process - the watercourse way.

Some may choose a hermetic existence and that is always an alternative. Sociability can cloud our Way, but most choose social contact. Consider the small number of people who have understanding of this thread. It is a small community indeed.