If you believed in God would you live your life different?

I think if I believed in God perhaps I would be far less inquizical (sp) I might find myself more content but less educated not to say that God fearing people aren’t intelligent. Just I would have stopped my pursuits.

Knowledge has a way of expanding the quality of opinion.

Learning facts about science or any real god – naturally changes a person. It adds to the mind a more well-informed condition.

Most – if not all ignorance – is the source of human evils.

Awareness of some being or species that is far superior to a human – would be a learning experience which would naturally improve the one knowing of it.

~

On the other hand, a tulpian godform would not add to a person’s sanity. It would instead be misunderstood and either be called “fantacy” or be taken literally. Either way, it would be misunderstood & irritate the natural human ignorance about the subject.

~

I know of many gods, and yes, it has changed me.

Many gods should be avoided. They only got so powerful through agression, and are eager to exploit lesser forms.

Human spirits are naturally tempted to join spirit societies, even at the risk of an eventual, complete loss of freedom.

Of course. If I believed in iod(s)/dess(es)[/i] I’d get down with the sickness.

Like the buddha , I don’t believe in anything.

Nor do I believe what I believe is true.

PG-

Hell yeah! I would grovel it his feet. Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do?

faust,

Groveling??? I thought that was only at the restaurant… :laughing:

Wouldn’t one’s behavior be highly dependent on their definition of God?

Oh, yeah - sure. I was thinking of White-Robe Guy. I guess. Shot from the hip. I’m sure you can come up 'most any kind of god you want. Sure.

Yeah… I’d prolly like… pray and stuff.

Only retarded gods want you to grovel at their feet.
^
Groveling is a sign of submission. Why would that god need you to submit if it did not want to control your life, and if it was all-powerful anyways?

The sorts of gods which expect groveling are often the ancient tulpian mutants which want more human spirits as servants.

Prayer isn’t very useful. It’s often useless.
For real communication with metaphysical beings one must learn how to project and use metaphysical telepathy.

I know… that’s why I’m not religious :smiley: , at least not in the sense being talked about here.

I’d probably feel ways about stuff. :laughing:

PG

I think of God as “Meaning” The highest expression of God’s meaning we can experience is what Buddhism calls the dharma or the objective interaction of universal laws. These interactions create what we subjectively experience with our inner life as external life and provide the impetus to live. Food, water, air, and a myriad of other qualities, all possess what we interpret as meaning. They are all just fractions of higher meaning which are in turn fractions of still higher meaning all finally initiating with the source of meaning.

So from this perspective, it would be impossible for me not to believe in God since it would require disbelieving in “meaning” and I cannot imagine such a life without even the mechanical impetus to live

Dan~

Dude, you’re killin’ me. I’m sittin’ here laughing like a fuckin’ idiot.

I just have no answer to that. How do you answer that?

Seriously though.

Let’s just assume for a second there is a driving force in a multidimensional universe that is the real ‘God’ but that there are basically omnipotent (in our universe) interdimensional beings that early man mistook for ‘God’.

I would suspect only the retarded or just flat out fucking loser god entities would be the ones wanting humans to ‘pray’ to them. Can’t get laid by the chick gods so they gotta make Mary appear on some dude’s headboard while he’s bangin a prostitute he picked up at a Denny’s parking lot. Sure the guy becomes religious but by that time the entity has lost interest and has moved to the next Denny’s parking lot.

Well, Gobbo, I take Dan~'s point very seriously. I have said this before, and I will say it now - Dan~ is arguably the best philosopher on these boards.

As I am sure you know, there seems to have been several gods in the Old Testament to choose from. The Christians might just have inherited the wrong one.

For what it is worth, I have both thanked and cursed a god I do not believe in for the very existence of Denny’s.

That’s a bold claim, and I like it.

faust wrote:

It’s only a simple misunderstanding from getting your gods and goddesses confused.

I remember this party for example where this genuine goddess wearing striking high boots demanded groveling and she definitely wasn’t retarded.

If I truly believed in (the Christian) God I would be devastated that He was a god that demanded the religious, and not philosophic, life. Then, as Winston Smith did in 1984, I would endure an existence of concealed thought, forever in fear of ‘the party’ and torture for my vile, inquisitive mind. My aim, my purpose, and my reward?..eternal unison with this master whom I must love! But would such a heaven only ever be hell for us repulsive thinkers?
Better to debate with the devil than follow the lord, I would hope to think.

Which god are you referring to? Allah? Jehovah? Jesus? Zeus? Apollo?

A believer must be a god-intoxicated man. He needs endless LSD.

Laughing, singing and dancing!