Which brand of chrisitianity is the best? Why?

Here is a list of what I know, protestant, judaism, roman catholic, morman new latter day of saints, and angelician, and I think there are many more left.

Roman catholic has the most followers, and the mormons is the latest and new sect of christianity and is growing rapidly I think.
I see people or is it just babies are being force to be converts by their parents, and when they grow up they know nothing about the bible. So how can they be call true chrisitians? And if one sect continues to have strife, how can chrisitians be united still?

For me I am no christian, but I am looking forward to become one , I am just lazy.

Dan

There is only one Christianity. There are a great many societal expressions of man made interpretations of Christianity called Christendom. The best form of Christendom can only be a personal decision based on personal interests.

Best belief is your own, baby.

the first step would be to decide if you understand the concept of Jesus’s beliefs not christianity. Then you move on to which interpretations suit you. And really you do not have to attend any church to be christian. You can be christian without affiliating yourself to a particular church or belief.

This is the question that fired me up to study things in the first place.

A couple of hundred years ago, when I was just a small boy, I became aware of the religious diversity within my own family, which rocked my cradle and dropped me into an ocean of doubt. All this ideological buffonery seemed to me quite inconceivable because, well, duh, they all said the Bible was just one. Then there were the “literal” and the “metaphorical” interpretations of the Book, so it became more and more obvious that there are more Bibles than one.

That is not to say that I decided to spread out myself. I opted to seek unity of ideas, which has brought me today at the fringes of Christian society, a sort of alfresco figure murmuring recondite cerebrations.

Anyway, the confusing fact and the one one must understand and accept is that Christianity has a history and that is the cause of most problems. Of course, it would be ideal if it didn’t, if it were the pristine, incontrovertible set of ideas that await embodyment, but reality unveiles a Christianity that sticks to the carpet of history like lint to a velcro rug. And history means social change, political influence, fluctuation, error. History is also endlessly debatable and discouragingly obscure.

The point in finding an equipoise in this maelstrom isn’t to try and figure out history or expiate Christianity from history, but to annihilate it altogether. The historical backdrop is nothing more than disturbing background music. In order to eschew it, one must focus away from it. There’s no point in trying to derive conclusions about Christianity from its protean shapeshifts. These are nothing but skins, which will eventually be shed. I think now that the outer form of a cult is not right or wrong in relation to another’s, as long as the essence remains intact. It is more a proof that man can flex his interpretation muscle.

You’ll be fine, you’ll see.

So one should not be chrisitian, for you would just have many problems, and everyone will be at you?

Is it not what Jesus say, this would happen? Why are chrisitians do not know other chrisitians?

Charles Darwin never believe in christianity nor God, but in his near death he believe and was baptised.

No form of christianity is the best as it is just a waste of everybodys time. god doesnt exist, jesus was a con man and the bible was the ancient equivalent of the National Enquirer!!

Then what is not a waste of time?

“Eastern” Orthodoxy.

Meaning, the Eastern churches and their descendants after the schism of 1054 in which Rome broke away from the other four Patriarchs of the Church.

The Eastern Church has held to the apostolic tradition for two thousand years… taking much care to add no novelties, nor to detract from any piece of the tradition handed down to them.

What does this mean? We can trace all of our teachings back to the apostles, the scriptures, and the universal councils of the Church. Novelties of men (eg: Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, and all of the 20,000 different protestant sects each claiming a new twist on Christianity) are simply unthinkable in Orthodoxy.

Your statements about “not attending Church and being a Christian” are contrary to a) The Bible b) The Church Fathers c) The essence of Christianity - which is Theosis through the communal participation in the sacraments and diakonia (which is loving service to one’s neighbor).

Christianity is not a private religion. However, I am guessing you have held to the ideas begun by the Reformers and further pushed by Kierkegaard and Western Individualists that Christianity is a mere matter of choice and it is up to YOU to determine what is True and how to derive Truth from the Bible (or even gnostic texts if you so choose).

The historical, ancient, apostolic, catholic Christianity has always affirmed the Apostolic Tradition (which includes the Scriptures) as the proper interpretation not “what suits you.” It ends up turning into nothing more than religious relativism, and nullifies the whole purpose of the gospel and Christ’s Incarnation.

[i]St. Paul
“Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.” -Hebrews 10:25

Ignatuis of Antioch
Be not deceived, my brethren: If anyone follows a maker of schism [i.e., is a schismatic], he does not inherit the kingdom of God; if anyone walks in strange doctrine [i.e., is a heretic], he has no part in the Passion [of Christ]. Take care, then, to use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God: For there is one flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ, and one cup in the union of his blood; one altar, as there is one bishop, with the presbytery and my fellow servants, the deacons (Letter to the Philadelphians 3:3-4:1 [A.D. 110]).

Iraneus
In the Church God has placed apostles, prophets, teachers, and every other working of the Spirit, of whom none of those are sharers who do not conform to the Church, but who defraud themselves of life by an evil mind and even worse way of acting. Where the Church is, there is the Spirit of God; where the Spirit of God is, there is the Church and all grace (Against Heresies 3:24:1 [A.D. 189]).

Origen
If someone from this people wants to be saved, let him come into to this house so that he may be able to attain his salvation. . . . Let no one, then, be persuaded otherwise, nor let anyone deceive himself: Outside of this house, that is, outside of the Church, no one is saved; for, if anyone should go out of it, he is guilty of his own death (Homilies on Joshua 3:5 [A.D. 250]).

Cyprian of Carthage
Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress [a schismatic church] is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he that forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ. He is an alien, a worldling, and an enemy. He cannot have God for his Father who has not the Church for his mother (The Unity of the Catholic Church 6, 1st ed. [A.D. 251]).

Let them not think that the way of life or salvation exists for them, if they have refused to obey the bishops and priests, since the Lord says in the book of Deuteronomy: “And any man who has the insolence to refuse to listen to the priest or judge, whoever he may be in those days, that man shall die” [Deut. 17:12-13]. And then, indeed, they were killed with the sword . . . but now the proud and insolent are killed with the sword of the Spirit, when they are cast out from the Church. For they cannot live outside, since there is only one house of God, and there can be no salvation for anyone except in the Church (Letters 61[4]:4 [A.D. 253]).

Augustine of Hippo
We believe also in the holy Church, that is, the Catholic Church. For heretics violate the faith itself by a false opinion about God; schismatics, however, withdraw from fraternal love by hostile separations, although they believe the same things we do. Consequently, neither heretics nor schismatics belong to the Catholic Church; not heretics, because the Church loves God; and not schismatics, because the Church loves neighbor (Faith and the Creed 10:21 [A.D. 393]).

Fulgentius of Ruspe
Anyone who receives the sacrament of baptism, whether in the Catholic Church or in a heretical or schismatic one, receives the whole sacrament; but salvation, which is the strength of the sacrament, he will not have, if he has had the sacrament outside the Catholic Church. He must therefore return to the Church, not so that he might receive again the sacrament of baptism, which no one dare repeat in any baptized person, but so that he may receive eternal life in Catholic society, for the obtaining of which no one is suited who, even with the sacrament of baptism, remains estranged from the Catholic Church (The Rule of Faith 43 [A.D. 524]).

[/i]

Of course, you could argue whether or not those statements are true, but that those statements reflect the belief of ancient, catholic Christianity (as contrasted with the many innovations introduced into the faith since the Protestant “Reformation”) there is no reason to doubt.

There is so much ground to cover in explaining all the various implications of the statement that one does not need the Church, but I offer the previous statements merely to present the case that the belief that the Church (as differentiated from goin’ to church, meaning any ol’ church apart from the apostolic, catholic Church) is not necessary to being a Christian has no grounds in what Christians of the first five hundred years believed.

All sources are saints who in their day and even to today were a) apostles b) disciples of apostles c) prominent bishops d) respected theologians e) some combination of the above.

Hi Samuel

I agree with you as to the value of the Church but I’ve come to question if the exoteric church or that which exists in society is capable of its purposes such as theosis.

I’ve come to notice that there is great need for the Church as an expression of something “authentic,” but it doesn’t exist for them. It has devolved into a religion of power, consolation, and politics which, for example, completely denies theosis.

It’s not a matter of whose fault it is but unfortunately, I believe, such devolutions of spiritual quality are natural for fallen human nature. From this perspective, it is natural that there should be so many forms of Christendom

agree that human factors like politics have influenced the variations from the norm of the Church…

but the Church itself (meaning the Orthodox/Catholic Church) has remained faithful to its apostolic heritage. Besides, without the Mysteries (in the West, Sacraments) how can one expect to be strengthened for the journey to theosis, and apart from the Church, how is one to receive the Mysteries?

When I say Church, I do not mean the multitude of Protestant churches but am refering the Church established by Christ and maintained by the bishops.

While I will not deny that some Protestant churches contain a measure of the Truth, they have erred in some respects as a result of bringing in the inventions and novelties of man, and in carelessly disregarding the apostolic Tradition (by which they get their very own canon - the Bible).

With Catholicism you get a cookie. It’s pretty plain tasting but it’s something.

This is a philosophy board, not a theology board. If you’re going to make statements, works twords your end, not from it.

Christianity is the belief and trust of Jesus’s teachings his philosophies and faiths, which is not found just in a book nor by someone interpreting this book for you. The different title of churches just follow different interpretations. Fellowship and following are the only reasons to attend churches. Worship or prayers can be accomplished anywhere for a Christian. Jesus was not about the bible, his was so much more then following words, his teachings were about following good and growth of humanity. Not leading people blindly down a path of specific faith. When the churches turned christianity into orginizations they removed much of the meanings behind Jesus’s words.

Kris

You seem to be describing a sort of New Age Christendom based on consolation, fellowship, and inspirational thoughts.

There is nothing wrong with this for those that are content with it. But this man made creation cannot be considered Christianity for those needing the experience of its initial purpose.

Lets see, Jesus’s philosophys and beliefs are not Christian? Then what are they? Where in the Bible did Jesus say; OK these books are consolidated together and you must follow all the words? Its not at the end nor is it at the beginning of the bible. Gods words as translated by man are powerful. But I think listening to jesus makes more sense then some guy saying he wrote the book as God told him to write it.
Jesus used his own words and thoughts rarely claiming God’s words. He specified God’s intentions and wishes and that was it.

But is not Christianity based upon Jesus Christ. It does not say God Christ because that would not make sense would it? Jesus Christ is followed by Christians of all believers of Jesus, they just translate different.

What is so hertical about only following Jesus’s philosophys and not the bible’s words? What is so blasphemous to His father?

And how is what I said become:New Age Christendom based on consolation, fellowship, and inspirational thoughts. and not the initial purpose.

Why don’t you tell me what Christianity’s initial purpose was? I kind believed that it was educating right from wrong (just to keep it simple). I kind of thought the 10 commandments and the deadly sins sort covered everything simply, and the rest of the book was examples.

Hell I could be wrong. I am not a Christian anyway I don’t follow the bible nor the faith nor any faith. I just think the 10 commandements and the 7 sins are pretty much all you need to believe in to grow as far as religious rules. Well except for the one that says thou shalt have no other god before me, that one I find shows god has a hell of a sense of humor.

Having read the bible I do find it very interesting historically and anthropologically interesting. but, thats it.

Another important theological question for all beliefs is; If you are so intent on listening to words from the past how are you going to hear the future communications? or the present ones? It kind of is like the ostrich burying its head in the sand. Don’t you think?

Hi Kris

Many would think what Simone is saying is naive and just the utterances of a dreamer. I don’t believe so simply because she was so reality oriented

All I can do is explain why I believe that Christianity is far more than consolation, fellowship, and inspirational thoughts.

The purpose of Christianitie’s appearance and actualization by Jesus, as I’ve come to appreciate it, was to provide the opportunity of re-birth for those open to it. Rather than consoling people, its purpose was to awaken people to the meaninglessness of life on earth for Man who was created for a greater purpose than that of the rest of organic life on earth…

This is a very vivid inner experience that is separate from attempts at consolation, fellowship, or inspirational thoughts of the future. It is from this conscious inner experience of “carrying ones cross” that the incentive comes to sacrifice life’s attachments for the purpose of re-birth.

But the Bible is a psychological rather than historical text referring to the psychology of the human condition itself.

Many people believe that it is through new ideas that people grow spiritually. I believe it is the opposite and real growth comes through remembering what has been forgotten. While empirical knowledge can be new, human psychology was always known and our task is to remember. The more one remembers through spiritual work, the more the ancient ideas begin to make sense.

I know this is hard to swallow but if you are interested, read this following link on esoteric Christianity and see if it makes any sense to you.

hermes-press.com/Perennial_T … ianity.htm

If you agree that Jesus spoke in parables and why he did so, you can see how hard it is to take the teaching literally. it must be absorbed psychologically.

Obviously, as explained in the article, the tendency becomes to secularize it and make it a source of power for authorities. This is the great harm of Christendom.

I believe there is a science to re-birth as indicated by Atwood but it is only for those with the need otherwise it appears ludicrous and does more harm than good. The exoteric church is unaware of such things. It is even striking that they no longer teach how to pray. It even seems odd to suggest such a thing.

So, if you’d like, read the article and feel free to question. But the more you see in it, the more, I believe, you will see the difference between Christianity (re-birth) and the secular callings with emphasis on “good and bad” during ones secular life related to heaven and hell and its many expressions as Christendom.

Pretty much what I said just in more detail and different words I think you might be a tad defensive about it. You see my phrases as ones that seperate it not pull it together. So I find those teachings in a different light or thought it does not mean that it is different. And may I repeat I do not am not a Christian. Not in any sense of the word. That I can see differing positions does not make me a believer. Just a JOAT.

There are 7 types of churches spoken of in Revelations. It looks like only 2 out of the 7 will be saved and the rest destroyed. This will tell you that most of the Christians will be wrong at the end of times.

I can tell you one church that will be destroyed. The Catholic Church is labeled as the Great Harlot in the Book of Revelations and will be Destroyed. The Bible identifies this Church with great detail. Its Scary they with all those people in that religion they cant even figure it out. But the Bible does say that if possible the very elect shall be deceived and the truth revealed unto the babes.

If your a Christian… then your a Christian… as far as I can tell all of the denominations stray from Christ in one fashion or another. Some worse than others… find the one that strays the least!