Uccisore's Service

Amber lights have this curious property, and I can’t be the only one who’s noticed it. Sometime, look at your shadow cast by a bright amber light, especially in wet grass. You’ll see the crispness of the shadow, but you’ll also see a nimbus, especially about the head of your shadow- where the light is actually brighter than it is in the surrounding area. It’s faint, and you almost can’t see if it you’re not walking, but it’s certainly there.

Since I moved back with my folks, I find myself living within a short walk of the Church in which I grew up. You won’t find me there on Sunday mornings, or any other morning (not even Christmas, I’m afraid). But lately, about once a week or so, I take a walk down there round about midnight. There’s a playground right across the street from the Church, with a clear view of the whole building, and that’s where I have my little service.

There’s always the Doxology, and a hymn as best I can remember- sometimes just thought, more often hummed or sung, depending on how much I want to break the silence. Then I always pray. The details are different each time, but the general theme is there- Always pray for sun, always thank God for the constant rain (delivered in His wisdom, amen). It’s always best I steady myself with the Lord’s Prayer before getting into my own particulars. That system works well for me.
When I’m all prayed out, I always end up thinking about the building itself. The Church. You can tell from the outside that it was built one chunk at a time, expanded as needed- the roofs don’t line up, windows that are useful seem a little out of place when taken as a whole. Some might say it looks sloppy or chaotic, but to me, it’s just organic.
The outside of the Church gives me that wonderful feeling of old, used-up belonging. Like walking into your old 1st grade classroom, perhaps. It’s not the fact that the colors are all too bright, or the smell of crackers and crayons, it’s not precisely any of those things, but a nice sensation that comes along with them. The kind of sensation I could bask in all night.
Then I reflect on myself, and how I relate to the Church. Last time, I even thought about this post that I would right the following afternoon, right down to this very sentence, in a bit of pre-meditated deja vu. You like that? ‘Pre-meditated deja vu’? Phrase caught my mental eye, and the chance to write it down was really one of the big motivations towards bothering with the whole thing, so I hope it works. Thinking about me and the Church always leads to me thinking about inside the Church, and not just the building itself. Reflecting on the inside of the Church gives me a slightly different feeling. A sad tugging, that doesn’t tug in any direction. If you can’t picture tugging without a direction, imagine perhaps looking at a happy photo of your dead spouse. Tug. Some of you may feel the urge to jump into the page and start swimming through the colors, some of you may feel the urge to crumple the picture up and eat it, but really, what you want is to go, to follow where the sensation leads, but of course, there’s nowhere for it to lead.
Of course, it’s always night, it’s always locked, it’s always empty- that’s how we plan it. So that’s the reason for the tugging without a direction. Sometimes, then, I make plans, count the days till Sunday, and resolve to take that morning off work. Invariably, though, I always remember the Thing that sunk it’s fangs in me and took me away from that place to begin with. I’m sad for a moment. But then I look at the stars, and the steeple, and decide that’s close enough for me, and resolve to make the most out my private service that I can.

This should be in Creative Writing. It’s beautiful.

Well done.

What was that?

1.) That would be telling. People who need to know, know.

2.) You can come up with a dozen Things that fit the bill, I reckon, to give the story general context.

3.) Leaving the Thing unknown makes the story abstract, a collection of attitudes and themes, rather than a diatribe specifically about this. That’s how we like it.

But thank you for asking, Dan~, and thank you more for the bump!

EDIT: Oh, jeez, and thanks a lot rainey for the kind words. I considered like 3 different places for this one, and ultimately decided on the Religion forum based on who was likely to read it, and the kind of response it would get here. If someone wants to bump it to Creative Writing, or Mundane Babble (the other likely places), I wouldn’t complain to either. :slight_smile:

Superb writing Uccisore. Beautiful and thought inspiring. Thank you! :slight_smile: passion

I’ll have to remember amber–then I can have my premeditated deja vu when I run into it.

Great post, although I think I would also have asked why you cannot follow your tug if Dan~ hadn’t. Perhaps the lack of closure is more impressionable to the reader in the end anyway.

i simply want to ask if these fangs would prevent you from ever hearing or attending any other kind of religous service again.i dont go to church ether.

i’m also impressed you revealed this to us. courage.grace.

I have to agree. Beautiful story telling. Great description. I give you an A+ on this post.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think it’s interesting that people whom I’ve never talked to before have sprouted up to comment on this thread. :slight_smile:

Alun- I knew people would ask about the fangs, how could they not? It’s all part of the game.

Drift- Nope, and they haven’t. I’ve been to the occaisional Church service. It’s just not quite the same as it used to be, and especially not the same in my home church. And courage? I don’t feel like I revealed much at all. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the good grade, theonefroberg. Since I’ll finally be doing a little college in the fall, I’ll need all I can get.

Hi Ucc,

Like rainey suggested, this is something for creative writing, and I could move it, but I won’t. Sometimes the religious forum needs a reminder of faith and you’ve shown us that. Thank you.

JT

The idea that we have to answer to someone for everything; the idea that everything we have ever done is seen… That’s a scary idea & I think that’s semitic-faith-in-God’s biggest turn-off. What could ever be more frightening then absolute honesty?