Ten Horns

The article says 3 to 12 :astonished:… Not that I encourage such politics.

Being able to kill allot of people counts as a form of politics?
I thought so, but correct me if I’m wrong, because the government was meant to save the people from dangers.

Dan quote - NORAD is so incredibly advanced right now, that if enough laster satlites were in the sky – any nuke could be spotted and shot-down in mid-flight

That’s just comfort-blanket propaganda fed to the masses by the government mate, don’t swallow it…
Star Wars technology is still a long way off, current lasers barely have the power to fry an egg let alone shoot down missiles :wink:

You’re making me depressed.

Can you prove that, or did you just say it because you were bored?

Uh, actually, the Air Force is currently developing a plane with a laser capable of targeting and destroying an incoming warhead from dozens of miles away.

Also, there’s good old MADD theory. Everyone knows that the consequences for launching a nuclear attack against a nation means complete and utter devastation, so no one will do it.

Right now, the economy is globablizing so well and with so much productivity, that no one really wants a great big giant apocalyptic showdown with their arch enemy. They want to instead sell their arch enemy microchips and underwear.

People who own BMW’s don’t like wars very much. Bullets tend to be very bad for nice paint jobs.

Mick is right

About which?

This post reminds me(and off target) about the fact that
the religious right wing is so excited about the
current middle east war because they think its
about to create the end of the world as in the bible.
Talk about obsessed with death. Excited that the war
in lebanon which is killing hundreds is the beginning of the
rapture and one step closer to god. UMMMM, wait
until they find out there is no god, won’t they
be disappointed.

Kropotkin

Actually, there is a “god” somewhere, if the infinite realm of potentiality exists and can be entered into selectively…

But not here on earth.

On earth people need to take responsability for their own futures, because they wont be saved from themselves.

“Talk about obsessed with death.”
Okay.

I want God so much because he’s just so great, but I only get to see him if I’m dead. Here comes the wrecklessness. But wait, I have to fallow a moral code before I get into heaven. I’ll just wrecklessly try to be good.

Theonefroberg quote -Also, there’s good old MADD theory. Everyone knows that the consequences for launching a nuclear attack against a nation means complete and utter devastation, so no one will do it.

Yes, for 40 years Russia and the West faced off to each other with their massive nuclear arsenals but at least they had the brains not to pull the trigger :wink:
North Korea too, despite her recent rocket tests is not dumb enough to fire them at anybody because they know they’d be bombed back into the stone age by the massive Japan/US response.
However, its the mad dogs of Islam who we have to watch out for, because the instant they get their hands on nukes, their suicide bombers will take out Tel-Aviv without hesitation and without a thought for the consequences.
Then they’ll hit London, New York etc , it’ll be so easy for them, all they need do is sail an old tramp steamer to within a few miles of the Statue of Liberty then detonate a nuke bomb in the hold, letting the resulting tsunami wipe out NY or any other coastal city…

Guess how many tons a Nuclear bomb weighs?

How do you expect to smuggle that across the boarder?

And would any terrorist cell have the technology to launch and control/direct a missile?

I doubt it.

Dan’s right. He’s gotten very good at refuting you.

Yes, we do have to worry about a nuclear terrorist attack. But 1) It’s hard to get a nuke that big. Really hard 2) We do have a Navy and a Coast Guard that are quite good at stopping rogue ships in New York harbor. 3) Tsunamis, the kind that destroy entire coastal regions are caused by large displacements of seabed, great big undersea rockslides that occur when earthquakes or volcanoes wreak havoc. They don’t happen when Osama and his buddies try to blow up a ship in NY harbor. 4) The real threat comes from terrorists blowing up “dirty bombs”, small nuclear devises that spread radioactive material over a radius of a few miles. 5) The US probably wouldn’t try to nuke innocent civilians back to the stoneage if that happened. 6) Even if the US did nuke a nation back to the stoneage, that nation probably wouldn’t have the ICMBs to hit us back. So the world wouldn’t end either.

Oh, btw, let’s not forget the mad dogs of Christianity, who pour billions of dollars into the coffers of Islamic fundamentalist governments a year in the form of oil money. If those genius Christians would wake up and realize that oil A) is killing the planet via global warming B) funding terrorism and what pretty much amounts to facism, and develop alternative sources of energy, radical Islam would vanish in a decade or two. Countries that have few valuable resources (Coastal China, or India, or Poland) have tended to settle down and focus on integrating to the world economy. They’ve begun to become very wealthy. The Middle East is just a pile of sand without oil. If the rest of the world stopped using oil, Middle Eastern countries would do the same; they’d become relatively stable democracies, heavily competing in the capitalist, technology-dominant economy. They’d be too busy building suburbs and developing new software to blow anything up.

If you want an example of this change, look at Bahrain. They were just like most other Muslim theocracies, until they ran out of oil. They’ve since started to use their oil wealth to build new, 21st century infrastructure, develop ties with global corporations, and have become a relatively free society. It will happen to every other radical Middle Eastern nation when/if oil stops powering the world.

Oh, and not all Muslims are “mad dogs”. Some are, most aren’t. Not all Christians are saints either. Some are “mad dogs”. To label an entire religion like that is unfair, and downright simple minded.

He’s right.

FSM = Mad dog free!

Dan quote - Guess how many tons a Nuclear bomb weighs?
How do you expect to smuggle that across the boarder?

Ever hear of “suitcase nukes” mate?
They’re mini-nuclear bombs and can be carried in a suitcase, rucksack or stuffed up your jumper…
Not as lethal as big bombs because they can only create a crater a few hundred yards wide, but still enough to make your eyes water…

Theonefroberg quote - Oh, btw, let’s not forget the mad dogs of Christianity, who pour billions of dollars into the coffers of Islamic fundamentalist governments a year in the form of oil money. If those genius Christians would wake up and realize that oil A) is killing the planet via global warming B) funding terrorism and what pretty much amounts to facism, and develop alternative sources of energy, radical Islam would vanish in a decade or two.

Do you drive a car mate?
I don’t :wink:
There, I think I just seized the moral high ground in this debate :slight_smile:

How can you, an imperfect Mick in England, criticise and/or argue with a perfect being?

What if there are no morals, mate?

Yeah, and you know what the type of argument you just made is called? It’s an ad hominem. You know what it is? A logical fallacy. [-X

Great, I give you the moral high ground. It’s the intellectual high ground I’m more concerned about. That you haven’t taken yet :sunglasses:

No, I believe what Mick was doing was showing how you contradicted yourself. What you did was sidestep effectively and focus on the one wrong thing he said, the word moral.

Theonefroberg quote - Great, I give you the moral high ground. It’s the intellectual high ground I’m more concerned about. That you haven’t taken yet

I ask you for the second time mate, are you a motorist?
If you are, you’re (in your own words) contributing to -
“…pouring billions of dollars into the coffers of Islamic fundamentalist governments a year in the form of oil money… oil is killing the planet via global warming and funding terrorism and what pretty much amounts to facism, and develop alternative sources of energy, radical Islam would vanish in a decade or two”

In fact, I don’t have a driver’s license, LOL.

So no, I am not.