Stand on your desks

STAND ON YOUR DESKS by Mick
Remember that great scene in Dead Poets Society where Robin Williams tells his class to rip out and throw away the preface in their poetry books about how to write poetry, and tells them poetry can’t be taught by rules, it has to come from the heart?
That applies to Jesus too,we can’t reach him by following rules like robots, it has to be done through our hearts -
“The epistle of Christ,written not in stone,but in the heart” (2 Cor 3:3)
Then there’s that final powerful scene in the film where as a gesture of support for Williams, his pupils stand on their desks to symbolically tower above above the yukky ways of the world.
Christians too stand on desks all the time -
“Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord, I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters” (2 Cor 6:17/18 )

You’re wrong. The scientologists made that movie in support of their beliefs, not yours. Plus, they didn’t have desks in the year 0.[/i]

TheZeus18 quote - You’re wrong. The scientologists made that movie in support of their beliefs, not yours

Ah, but Christianity pre-dates scientology by 2000 years, so they pinched a few ideas for themselves :wink:
Incidentally is the “18” in your name your age or I.Q?
(Sorry couldn’t resist it) :wink:

SCIENTOLOGISTS by Mick
I was stopped by a young Scientologist chap while passing their Plymouth UK office and he said “Would you like to take a stress test?” I replied it sounds fun,so we went inside and he gave me an electrode to hold in each hand wired to a dial.
He then told me “think of something that makes you angry” The needle never moved. A few of his colleagues came over to help him twiddle with the knobs,because they thought the machine had packed up.
He asked me the same question again. Still no movement!
I had to explain to him that there was nothing wrong with his machine,and that because I’m a Christian,I’m cool and laidback and chilled all the time and NOTHING annoys me!
Him and his mates then tried to have a friendly theological argument with me,but I wiped the floor with 'em!
They tried to say Scientology was the answer to the worlds problems,to which I replied “But why then do you reject Jesus who preached love and compassion and peace? How can scientology be better than him?”
They couldn’t answer. Huh!
I made to leave and they said “oh, take one of our books with you, its only £5”.
I politely declined and toddled off…

Mick as an ex pat here in the USA its nice to read some English!!

Cheers mate from Los Angeles

miiiiiiick…did this every really happen?

Yromem quote [re scientology] - miiiiiiick…did this every really happen?

What school of philosophy do you belong to mate the “I’m not paranoid but everybody’s a liar” cult?
In fact the local scientology group here in Plymouth are regularly seen pushing their new mobile stall around town offering that “free stress test” to bewildered passersby…
Incidentally they call themselves “The Church of Scientology”, ha ha ha, its a church where the lame stay lame, the blind stay blind, and the dead stay dead :wink:

first note mick…you can press qoute on the right hand corner of the topic list and it will do it for you.

and in regards to you’re story.

i’ve heard numerous stories that sound almost identicle to you’res. Im not debating wheter or not representatives from the church of scientology
stand around out side preaching their beliefs (i know i’ve seen them)

im doubting wheter you’re little stated “adventure” every took place.

so basically according to you (and dont get me wrote im a devout christian/theospohist)

now im not saying scientology is correct. Im not here to judge. Me and XENU dont “hang” and i dont exactly have $6,000 to blow.

but according to you, you’re belief in jesus christ AKA christianity has allowed you to reach and altered state of consciousness where

i really dont see how chiristianity (as opposed to any other normal frame of mind) would allow you to bypass a BS instrument (tone scale) that is designed to show everyone similar results.

then you preceded to…

i’ll just go back to my "

that we like to call planet earth