What is the jewel that we all have, but hidden?

What is the allegorical interpretation?

There was two person , a rich man and a poor man. The poor man gave everything to the rich man, one day the poor man was sleeping, the rich man sneak a rich gem into the poor man pockets. The poor man never checked his pockets, he continue his poverty. Few years after, the rich man went and visit how is the poor man doing. The poor man recognize him, and seize him, and threatening him to pay back what he owes. The rich man said I did. Did you check your pockets. The poor man discover a rich gem, and was full of joy.

Lotus Sutra

I took it as intelligence and wisdom. But how could it be that simple. There must be something else, hidden from thoughts and my pockets.
Who is the poor man? the people who are not buddhas.
Who is the rich man? The teacher of buddha.
What is the pocket?
What is the Jewel?

If hardly no one replies, it means no one knows buddhism, nor world culturally cultivated. yet.

Dan

I’m in transit now having completed one job and on the way to the next. I cannot go into depth but if you read the following classic called “Footprints in the Sand” it may clear it up for you.

llerrah.com/footprints.htm

In your story the poor man is trying for union with the higher and understanding and his efforts appear for naught putting him into a deeper spiritual sleep than even the norm. Then he is “Carried.”

But here he is given something for his being, a form of help, “gem,” that he is unaware of since it is locked and distorted in his personality. “pockets” Once he experiences it in his essential self, he “understands.”

I thank thou.
I am sorry that I made the thread a hard question. How unusal.

Dan, this is not sarcastic, but I think the poor man would deck the rich man. In my world at least. What the rich man did was game playing and egotistical. He had the power to be honest, he was not. Payment or no payment, the poor guy would have punched the rich guy’s nose for making him suffer for a year or two. Because obviously the rich guy knew the poor guy rarely looked in his pockets. It was an obvious control thing.

It is irrelevant what the gem or the pocket represents. Because honesty was abused for ego reasons. Sneaking is not honest, that is control.

Been drinking tonight, dan020350? :slight_smile:

What you mean? :^o