Technology as a religion

felix.openflows.org/html/kurzweil.html

Technology as a religion?

Would you put your faith in it?
Could it save you from death and meaninglessness?

This memetics/strong AI movement is full of assumptions, some of which don’t make sense (eg. that the advance of technology will become faster as technology becomes more complex and thus more difficult to improve). It’s overly optimistic. And my computer’s kind of nice, but I could never worship it or pray to it.

No. Atomic science did advance last century, but it created 1) a kickass source of electicity 2) killing machines that could destroy cities and potentially eliminate life on earth. Technology in itself is not good or bad (or beneficial even, if one wants to use relativistic terms), it all depends on how humans use it. So I don’t think blindly putting my faith in AI computers is a very good idea (caused A LOT of problems in The Matrix and/or 2001: A Space Odyssey).

I don’t think so.

Technological change needs to be accompanied by greater wisdom and critical thinking in humans, not a sense of wonder and awe for robots.

I wouldnt put my faith in technology because it is not greater than myself. Technology is not greater than its inventors and its engineers. I would rather worship the scientists that made it. I would rather serve the designer religiously than the product of design.

I have a similar philosophy about religious beliefs regarding the origins of the universe. If the universe never really originated, then the universe would be eternal. If the universe is eternal, then it becomes a god. I prefer the idea of a God who is capable of design, rather than the idea that the only god is matter and energy itself.

I would not put my faith in it. I think death can only be fought by living. and meaningless by meaning. (each person has to define that themselves of course, but machines can’t do that for people, at least not yet)

I do love many aspects of tehnology. I think it is just important to keep your eye open for when technology actually does things that make life “less” meaningful, like do all the physical work for us. I think physical work actually is good for not just the body, but the mind . . . and maybe even sanity.

What do you think Dan? . . . interesting idea