Dennett on religion

WTF?

Am I missing something? The whole fucking video the guy was leaving huge gaps in his explanations. He kept saying we could get to this or to that but didn’t actually get there.

-Thirst

Yep.

Well, at least it made perfect sense to me.

Then again I’m… me.

I should go out and get high then…

-Thirst

We are suppost to believe him because he has ‘good’ credentials.

I think you should all watch the video at TED by Rick Warren. Warren also does something similar as Dennet, but it is much more entertaining to watch. Warren isnt as arrogant.

That’s an erroneous statement.

Just because we all are affected by the selfish gene to a degree doesn’t mean an Athiest can’t truly care for someone. That’s absurd.[/quote

How so? If you would read I said but what reason would an atheist have to care? And both Christians and atheist are selfish and most of us “do” good deeds to help ourselves…

Do you still need help comprehending that? I don’t believe I EVER said an atheist couldn’t truly care for someone did I. READ PLEASE.

Their moral code?

Dim the lights, girls, here it comes:

~Dan’s ultimate anti-thesis of faith~

If I believe in Ronald Mc.Donald, is that the only way I can get a cheese burger? :laughing:

=D>

News flash:

Breathing is selfish.

Warning:

Breathing is arguably good.

Giving God joy is the aim-of-the-game? Doesn’t God have a TV-set?

Both selfish and self-sacrificing people are morally equals, but each of them operate on different moral-systems. One code produces different results then the other. Selfishness does not need to be non-compassionate, and hurting people isn’t any fun anyways. Love is funner.

A+

Maybe you should have just told Rounder that then…I figured we’d be talking about a Christian moral system. I’m pretty sure that’s what he meant anyhow.

Giving God joy isn’t the aim, and it isn’t a game. It’s a lifestyle. Christians who love God should want to please him even though they don’t have to. Our job and aim is to tell others about Christ.

Either way optimum happiness isn’t achieved by doing things for yourself because that will run dry.

As I said it would have been better to reply to Rounder as well since he’s the one who brought it up. Go ahead and tell him it all depends on what moral system you are using.

As far as your Ronald Mcdonald analogy…what exactly are you implying here? It seems very unstable.

Where did they get their moral code?

Family , Genetic structure , history , learning capacity , etc.

:laughing:

Family , Genetic structure , history , learning capacity , etc.[/quote

True caring can come from those but I think the moral code is seperate. And in today’s time most people, christians and atheist alike, are caught up in themselves. Christians have good reason not to be, but on the other hand most atheist are humanistic and believe in exhalting themselves and self pride. An Christian can change his behavior with God’s grace and from what the bible says. On the other hand an athiest doesn’t have these, so what does an atheist have? Well I think you mentioned most of it in your last sentence…but then the question asks, where did those get the reason to care for someone?

You could have just said well they know in their conscious that caring/helping someone is right. But since you used those…where did they get the idea from? Besides genetic structure/learning capacity, because those can effect anything from a good person to a insane psycho killer.

By the way I like donnie darko…sweet movie.

A :laughing: doesn’t help answer the question. Either you can’t answer it and you know it doesn’t make sense. Or you do understand but rather than letting me in on it you’d rather sit back with your pride and laugh at a analogy that can mean many different things.

Comon don’t be afraid danny.

You’re right… I didn’t get it from God so it must not be a real one.

club29

Him/her -self and the enviroment placed before them (i’m not talking about other people , the location itself).

The “holy” Bible is one possibility.then there is the problems of missing scriptures and other concerns that believer’s haven’t noticed.

the internal brain and mind.

I’m going to learn the purpose of my death that i already caused :astonished: :laughing:

DDF

The location? You’re not implying where you live determines what base of morals you have are you? Because that location also must get that base of morals from something other than itself.

True, the bible is a big possibility. The bible is what America’s laws have been founded from, as I’m sure you knew. Missing Scriptures? Like what? I wanna discuss this.

Internal Brain? So our ancestors had a moral law that just magically appeared in their brain? If you’ve taken psychology…you should know we cannot imagine anything we have never experienced. Something had to tell these people, group or individual, that what they believed was correct…it would have to be a leader perhaps? Popularized morals must have a majority agreement and it needs to be set by an outside standard that they believe knows more than they do, does it not? Shouldn’t this group agree with morals from someone or something they trust and have faith in? Take Hitler for instance. To many he was wrong, but to many others he was right. For what reason would anyone have to believe he was wrong? Well it’d have to be an outside standard. If not for, lets just say…the bible…Who could tell him he was wrong? Another set of rules perhaps? And for what reason would he be? I’m just saying morals need base, a moral law, if they don’t, they’re just opinions and then morals cease to exist.

It’s like asking someone what’s good and what’s evil. They cannot know what evil is unless they know what good is. And then you have to ask, what determines this? Well, it’d have to be a foundation of morals, a standard moral law.

You could even take the movie Donnie Darko, donnie commits many crimes…but ultimately it’s for a greater good. But it’s only a greater good because it’s good to a moral law.

Just curious, what did you find fascinating about the movie? I thought it was a good movie, but I’m still having trouble seeing how it was a great movie. I felt like it still needed more…I don’t know.

You said it, not me.

Hey you should change your name to Socrates.

Oh would that make you love me?

Club 29

so your suggesting war is a neccessity for the highest known morals?
yes i was exactly implying that where some lives there are different morals , they do not spread very far but the propogation isn’t that hard either.

yes i’m aware that America’s laws havebeen founded from the “holy” bible.missing scriptures has a great variety on google search engine but i’m not sure if you use another one so best of luck :wink: maybe come back with something iv’e been clueless about lol.

I did not say anything relative to magic.
moral law came through moral agreement
not a top hat with bunnies inside.

Independent thought , rebellion , anarchy , and the like.

I’m not against you at all , me agree ^^ .

well populated civilization with personal rights and restrictions :sunglasses: ,
or standard moral law.

He only commited the crimes in the tangent universe not the primary.
yes it was for the greater good , his death supplied the life of his friends and family and other people he saved the world at the cost of his own physical death.

The main character himself , when he argues with the teachers he doesn’t mean to but they won’t rationalize everything he has said so they ignore him and bring his parents into the events set forth before them.he had a purpose , he was looking for answers and found them before sending the plane engine back into through the wormhole/blackhole along with himself returning to bed successfully understanding why he would have died.
i was really fascinated by Donnie Darko himself more than anything else.

It wasn’t missing anything , it had an ending and a starting point.
rather it may seem you needed to find understanding with the character more than just seeing it as a mere movie , put yourself in Darko’s shoes let his feet take you or put yourself in control either way you’ve only missed something of a neccessity for yourself instead of a simple want.

DDF