question for the atheists

You are AlQaeda’s hostage and Zarqawi’s replacement is about to chop off your head. Your knowledge of their method of execution is slow painful death (think Nick Berg). You have fear in your eyes and mind. Would you call on God to perform a miracle or ask for forgiveness? Since you do not believe in God, what would be your last thought, your regrets?

a variation of the “no atheists in a fox hole” argument?

I would not call on God to perform a miracle since I do not believe in god.

I would not ask forgiveness from god since I do not believe in god, and believe that although I’m about as far from perfect as you can get, I do not need anyone’s forgiveness for being human.

My regrets might be that I was about to die far from my family far earlier than I had expected.

I don’t think that I can imagine exactly what my last thought would be.

cheers,
gemty

Miracles appear in fairy tales. Life is what it is, and ends as it shall.

I do believe in Death before dishonor and would plead to no one. Although I do admit ignorance to the afterlife etc. because I am a flawed human.

My last thoughts would be calm and serene since I believe that from our first breath we are dying. And have been preparing for this moment my entire life. BTW I am a huge fan of Hagakure, The Five Rings etc. so this is why I have my mentality.

My only regret would be of not being able to punish those who were going to kill me.

My last thought would be survival, how to.

God is for the weak.

I would probably be thinking of how to get out of this situation, even if I did believe in God I don’t think I would assume he could get me outta of this situation.

I would probably say to myself, “Well, looks like I’m gonna die, hope it doesn’t hurt to much, lets see what happens next.”

I’d probably be tempted to chant the namu but I’d like to think that I’m beyond that sort of thing.

I think I’d devote most of my energies into trying to figure out what to say, in case they decide to film the act. There are some people I would like to be able to say goodbye to. Even if I would be unable to actually voice these things, it would help me let go and accept the situation.

I had one near death experience; I knew I was going to die. I thought about the things I’ve always wanted to do, but never did, and it didn’t really matter. I thought about what I’ve done with my life, the friends I’ve hurt, the assholes I’ve helped, and the God I didn’t believe existed. Pascals wager argument kept goign through my mind, and being a devout athiest at the time, I was supprised when I found myself speaking to God. I shouted “FUCK” at the top of my lungs, spat on the ground, told God to get fucked, and that was that. We shivered ourselves to sleep shortly afterword, and awoke the next morning alive and well, much to our supprise.

I like to think I handled that situation well :confused:

[EDIT]I was 19 at the time, I would probably handle it a bit different these days[/EDIT]

We get one chance to “bond” with Jesus, but happily that chance lasts our lifetimes… It doesn’t matter whether you bond early in your life or in your final hours, just BOND !
Here’s a little tale I’ve woven around a bible incident involving a man we’ll call Rufus…

RUFUS by Mick
Rufus could feel death creeping up on him.
His heart pounded painfully as he struggled for breath, and in his final minutes he closed his eyes and looked back over his life.
Born in the slums to a prostitute mother who gave him away at birth, and an unknown Roman soldier father, he grew up constantly getting in trouble, his philosophy was dog eat dog in this world and all that matters is looking after number one, because nobody else will, that’s for sure,and he did it all, lying,stealing,mugging,burglary,extortion,blackmail,deception,fraud,violence…
Now he knew his dead body would be thrown into an unmarked grave before the day was out, and that he’d quickly fade from human memory,unremembered and forgotten as if he’d never existed, having never done a single good thing for anybody in his life nor given anybody reason to lament his passing…
The thought of entering that black void of death made him shiver deep in his soul,and he felt a cold clammy fear like he’d never known before. He opened his eyes,and pulling against the nails in his hands and feet, he turned to the young man on the cross next to him and said with sobbing panicking repentance in his voice “Jesus remember me…”
And Jesus replied “Today you’ll be with me in Paradise…”

(Luke 23:41)

Ha ! I’ve got you, you’re a Presbyterian. Or a Calvinist, nonetheless.

Anyway, that was a nice story, Mick.

Here’s one of my own, related to an actual death experience. It is from Leon Daudet’s memories about the medic Potain, whose pupil he had been.

During visiting hours, Potain had come in a ward where a man who’d suffered a toracic surgery was lying. Some time when the doctor was in the ward, a strong hemoragy occurred with this man, with blood spilling out the mouth, nose, and through the chest bandages. Terrified, the patient rose on top of his bones. Potain realised that there was nothing he could do medically, so he went up to the patient and clutched him in his arms and held him tight until it was clear that the poor old man had passed away.

Medics, students, nurses in the ward gathered around the incongruent pair and gaped at Potain firmly holding the wretched patient and how his white doctor’s coat covered in blood.

It’s pretty hard to know what one would do in that situation unless it happened. I would like to think I’d go down fighting, though. Attempting to kill as many of your captors would be far more effective than pleading for mercy from sadistic killers or imaginary dieties.

so you’re calling all theists weak? if not, then please tell me what you meant by that. if you did mean that, then you are sadly mistaken. some of the strongest people, in spirit, mind, and body, are theists, most with a combination thereof. don’t label a group unless you are absolutely sure - otherwise it is a spiteful and unnecessary remark.

I would be wishing for a miracle alright, but it would be of my own making.

That is what most people don’t realize, when ‘miracles’ happen it -is- because of their belief – but not in a god – simply in that something will happen. If you are without doubt, at the the most fundamental level, you can do anything.

‘Anything’ is impossible but it requires literally tinkering with your genetic memory to the point of obliteration in the human sense. The point here is that I do not need to get down on my knees and pray to some thingy because I am my own God, and I’ve performed many more miracles for myself than any god has.

For sotori’s belief in miracles only existing in “fairy tells”…obviously you only think fairy tells are things that can’t be explain or defy our laws. I only can look at you as an African who has seen his first Jet…for him that was a miracle.

Well most of you could just be bluffing…and then some may be telling the truth, but I can assure you that many of you have made an attempt to talk to God at least once in your life. I guess the beauty of God giving us free will is we’re allowed to make the choice, just don’t be so sure you’re making the right one. :slight_smile:

Many Christians could just be bluffing, too. For all your faith, how many Christians wouldn’t tell their captors they worshipped Allah if they thought it would save their lives? How many of you who profess faith really trust God when the rubber meets the road?

I assert that nearly all people who claim a faith in God have awakened in the night at least once and realized deep down that God is imaginary.

I had to say the Lord’s prayer every day for over a decade while at school and repetition like that sticks with you for a long time. It often comes into my head in moments when I am mortally scared (unfortunately I have had alot of these moments) even though I am far from a person of faith.

I too have faced death a couple of times.

Once I on the ground and my head was in postition to see the car tire coming at my head to crush it, Thoughts in my head? Well, the word Shit screamed out of my lungs and the only real thought was the equivelent to hoping my death was quick. you have to realize the entire incedent took place in about 10 sec. or less.

Next incedent :guns were pointing at me. You hear the safeties go off and snicks and clicks as the weapons readied for firing, Your body just wants to expell any body waste and anything in your stomach at the same time,because fear is overwhelming, no thoughts no regrets just frigging utter fear, your mind is a plethora of jumbled incoherent thoughts, your adrenalin is pumping so hard and so fast you are totally on automatic. you aint’ got but one coherent thought in your head because thats all there is room for and that depends upon the person what it is. Mine was OH SHIT over and over and over again.This incedent lasted about a minute or two. No real coherent thoughts could come out of adrenalin, fear and the urge to purge and unconciously or maybe consciencley fighting that urge to purge. did you know that you can actually taste all of that fear and adrenalin? wierd and I hope never again

by the way Yes Iam nonreligious.

That’s interesting. The mechanism of religion, embedded within the psyche. Prayers become a reflex, like me sneezing in bright sunlight.

Did it ever help ?

No, not that I can tell. Then again, maybe it’s the reason I am still alive!

well I’m one of the few outside the “nearly all people” you’re mentioning. everyday, He’s just as real to me as anyone else. but that’s just me. I somewhat understand where you’re coming from, but it’s not happened to me. ever. well, whatever.

Uh oh, I feel a bit of an athiest statement coming on with this metaphor.
Ready? Here it is. What the African is seeing is a creation of man, just like GOD! If by miracles you mean nature being manipulated by man…sure you call it miracles I will call it science.

Funny, I was gonna say the same thing to you in regards to your faith. I accept I may be wrong but do you?