Quotes from the Bible

I am not a christian. There i said it!..Nor do i hold any hatred for those that are. However there is something i would like to bring up. I have noticed a theme running through alot of threads and that is alot of the religiously orientated (Christian) folk on this site mostly seem to argue their points with quotations from the Bible.

I can see how this can be used to argue a point, however it would be nice to see them articulate their side of the argument using the good ol’ Queens English.

Dont get me wrong i am not saying using Bible quotations is a bad thing, its just seems to be relied a little to heavily on to make a point.

Sorry if this upsets anyone of a religious nature, but i have just come from a argument with a Jehovahs Witness at my door who was spouting quotations every other sentance. I won the argument by asking him to talk to me for 2 minutes without quotations…he couldnt do it!

Christians quote the bible because it is the authoritative source material. The “queen’s english” on its own is simply your own ideas. Personally I quote the bible because it’s important to me that my thinking be biblical. Plus, many people around here make statements about Christianity that are patently untrue.

The JWs are not as good with their bible as they’d like to think they are, but I agree that all the quoting can get tiresome when they come to the door. Simply because they can be so academic I find the best tactic to take with them is to shift gears completely and start talking about their “experience” of God or “relationship” with God. If you probe in this general direction 2 things usually happen, (1) they go away, (2) they never come back. But it requires a little effort at the outset…

Another way to win arguments, oldphil: Typing up something two lines long and insulting as hell in a thread, then never returning to it.

personally i think christians should worry less about the bibly and more about following the fundamentals of crhistianity.

i think if the good lord to came back hed be sicusted wit hwhat a mess we’ve made of christianity.

for instance.

why are there only four gospels i nteh “bible”. *BECAUSE THE REST WERE EDITED OUT!!!

why are those four the shortest?

where does the bible say stand up here, sit down here make this sign now. it dosent!

what it does say is that god dosent like repetiotion of prayer.

but what it does say is to love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek.

so why dont you focus on doing that.
focus on loving everybody eh?

i think you should learn to type properly…or is it that you just cant spell!!

Old Phil quote - i have just come from a argument with a Jehovahs Witness at my door…

You mean there are still people who open their doors to JW’s??

Yes mick…just so i can win arguments with them and watch them as they realise they have just wasted their time completely.

Your right, but not for the reasons you are offering below!

You can thank the unholy Catholic Church for some of that. It is on record in Prophecy as the great harlot and will be destroyed.

Is there someone saying it does?

You did, in fact, get this completely wrong. Bible says to pray without ceasing. Christ also prayed for great lengths of time. You are really all wet on this one.

There are calls to judgement and to cry out when we see evil. We do turn the other cheek more often than God would like. I think we have focused on doing it far to much. We have done it so much that Prophecy states that 5 of the 7 churches might be destroyed.

Like anything else, a well quoted verse of the Bible can lead authority to an argument while illuminating the point.

When used out of laziness, however, they are the sort of thing I gloss over and don’t notice.

Context, context, context.

astrial thanks for the post.

i typed this hastly (noticable) and didnt fully elaborate my thoughts.

about repetiotion of prayer.

it says pray without ceasing, but not the same one over again it says “god hates that”

i agree that the translations of the bible under the catholic chruch werea bit shaky.

its not a church, its more liek a government.

why trash there religion?

who made you the high authority.

I did - i am simply overpowering like that :laughing: .

well

donnie darko being my allt time favorite movie (seen it over 20 times)

im cool with that

So according to donnie darko I am now the High Authority…My first proclamation will be to ban all religion.

can you’re second be to ban mick of england and david hasslehoff avatars

[/quote]
You did, in fact, get this completely wrong. Bible says to pray without ceasing. Christ also prayed for great lengths of time. You are really all wet on this one.
[/quote]

Not sure what verse you guys are referring to but I think you both misunderstand. Rep of prayer is talking about not praying the same thing over and over and over…like what maybe catholics do. God wants you to pray real as if you are speaking to him, what comes from the heart not from your memory.

Club29 quote - Bible says to pray without ceasing. Christ also prayed for great lengths of time.

Yes but Jesus also said don’t pray just for show like some of the snooty priests did -
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men” (Matt 6:5)

And doing it alone is fine, you don’t have to go church if you don’t want -
“But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you” (Matt 6:6)

“And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words” (Matt 6:7)

absolutly.

great post mick