What would Buddha have said?

I often wonder what Buddha or Confucius or any other “enlightened” pre-Jesus thinkers and philosophers would have thought of Jesus?
For example we know Buddhists reject Jesus and string with Buddha.
Would Buddha have approved or would he have said something like “Forget me! This Jesus guy is the one you should follow! I did my bit but now I’ll hand over to him to take you the extra mile!”

Proper Buddhists allign with no one.

Jesus may have been hinting at the earlier thinkers such as Buddha, Confucius, Socrates etc when he said “many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it” (Matt 13:17)

OK…I will try to explain this to you.

Buddhists do not worship Buddha or any other deity. Buddha is a term taken from the sanskrit with a rough translation of “One who is awake”. There has supposedly been thousands of people who have deserved the title “Buddha”.

“Does a dog have a Buddha’s nature” is a little quip or a koan used to open the mind and reject all worshiping or placement of pedestals.

Jesus may have come in contact with the teachings of said philosophers. But we cannot know. The Bible is not the tell all on interactions or knowledge of people long gone. And frankly who cares? You are making this a “My religion can beat up your religion.” thread. Please stop.

“Better Socrates dissatisfied; then a pig satisfied.” - Moore

Keep an open mind, ask questions of enlightening quality and quit trying to pit religions against each other like they are fighting for a championship belt.

Personally I take the statement as Jesus speaking of people like Moses and other Westernized thinkers. Since most of the Eastern world cut itself off from the West in regards to culture.

No war has ever been fought over buddhism. I’ll take that any day. Sorry mick

Satori quote - You are making this a “My religion can beat up your religion.” thread. Please stop.
Kevconman quote - No war has ever been fought over buddhism. I’ll take that any day. Sorry mick

Chill doods, this is a “Religion” forum where we can put our wares on display for fun to compare them, that’s all :slight_smile:
For example Buddhist monks set themselves on fire to protest against the Vietnam War, yet Jesus said “don’t be worried about wars or rumours of wars”…
So who do you think was the most enlightened, him or those monks?
francesfarmersrevenge.com/st … lation.htm

no problem here. Hey mick I saw that bright star thing last night, and you’re avatar freaks me out, because it reminds me exactly of what I see, but without the cross-like glare.

Kevconman quote -Hey mick I saw that bright star thing last night, and you’re avatar freaks me out, because it reminds me exactly of what I see, but without the cross-like glare.

Yes mate, sounds like you’ve got the extra 6th or 7th sense to see things the rest of us can’t…
“The Lord dwells in the unapproachable light which men can’t see” (1 Tim 6:15)
By “Lord” that could mean the whole God-family of angels and things such as ufo’s.
Maybe they’re monitoring us to see how we’re doing, by taking air and soil samples, then if pollution levels hit a pre-determined high maybe this verse will be invoked -
“The time has come for judging the dead… and for destroying those who destroy the earth” (Revelation 11:18 )

Air Force Colonel Leroy Gordon “Gordo” Cooper who was one of the original Mercury astronauts claims that the government has withheld information that alien spacecraft have visited Earth. Cooper claims the government has “swept under the rug” the truth about unidentified flying objects. “Each administration has probably tried to figure out how, with the least embarrassment, they could confess to this whole thing,” he said
paranormalnews.com/article.asp?articleID=84

Other people can see it. They just dont think its a big deal. Their loss, I guess.

I do think its monitoring something. Being the only one who seems to care about, I feel like its monitoring me. But that might be an exaggerated self important feeling.

They’d probably think this:

“Hmmm. That guy has some good ideas, for sure, but his idea of god is way different then ours…”

Confucious had no magick power.
Buddha, maybe…

It’d be pretty interesting if Buddha and Jezus both did some magick to see who’s stronger, and how.

Kev quote - I feel like its monitoring me…

Could be mate -
“If you make the Most High your dwelling-
even the Lord , who is my refuge-
then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways

(Psalm 91)

“If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet a Patriarch, kill the Patriarch.”–Lin Chi

The Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) is not worshipped. He made his way, and gave us guidelines on how to get there, but he cannot make the journey for us.

Is there Buddha-nature in my computer? Is it in the air? Is it found in the stars? Is it in me? Is Buddha-mind different than my mind?

The Buddha taught for a lifetime, but never said anything. Not a word.

There are many paths to enlightenment, in the end if Jesus, Confucius, or Daffy Duck can teach you something, you should be appreciative of the effort, the help you are given, and then discard it, because ultimately they cannot be the one to awaken you.

“Before I had studied Zen for thirty years, I saw mountains as mountains, and waters as waters, when I arrived at a more intimate knowledge, I came to the point where I saw that mountains are not mountains, and waters are not waters. But now I have got its very substance; I am at rest. For it’s just that I see mountains once again as mountains, and waters once again as waters.”–Ching-yuan

From Shybard - There are many paths to enlightenment

BUDDHA - “I’m just a human speaking my own thoughts”
CONFUCIUS - “And me”
ALL OTHER THINKERS - “So are we”

JESUS -“I’m the Messiah (John 4:25), the Christ (Matt 16:16) the Superprophet (Matt 11:3) and the Son of God (Mark 14:61),I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say…” (John 12:49)

Now which is the logical path to follow?

Not the guy with delusions of graduer?

:slight_smile:

But faith is an emotive concept anyway.

Now you’ve already been corrected on this multiple times – you’re either stupid or willfully spreading lies. Mohammed claimed to be the "super"prophet of God too (although not the son of god).

Why would I choose one who has not modesty?

You should read up on the others before you are so quick to judge. Just cause you have a hard-on for Jesus should not mean we should as well.

Jesus was anti snooty priests.
Therefore if you’re against Jesus you must be for them !
You’re not secretly a catholic priest are you? :wink:

Mick you would have fit in fine during the Red Scare in the U.S.

I guess I also support Terrorism while we are at it.

Ha ha ha, Jesus knelt down and washed his disciples feet to show he never thought of himself as better than them :slight_smile:
And he even rode into Jerusalem on a humble donkey…
Hey I know Swami Prabhuphada of the Harry Krishnas rode into town in a Rolls-Royce…
Huh!

A man could claim to be a purple zebra from Beta Gamma 9, and still be able to teach me something.

That’s an ad hominem. I don’t like something about A so A’s argument for X is wrong. Jesus might still be right about any number of things, whether or not he’s full of it about being the son of God (or even if he were just nuts).

One can lack modesty and still have something to teach us. Again, that’s an ad hominem. Just because you don’t like Jesus or something about him doesn’t make him wrong, or discredit his other statments.