Sparkling Water

Nohotdog quote - I’ve only read about 1/4 of the bible…

Me too, the longwinded historical bits bore me out of my skull :wink:
I prefer the bits that matter…

SPARKLING WATER by Mick

A copy of a single gospel in pocket-sized slimline booklet form of 30 pages or less can be picked up for a few pence in any bookshop,or free from most Christian groups, and can be read in just a couple of days.

Those few pages are a treasure chest containing:-
“…the unsearchable riches of Christ” (Eph 3:8/9)
In which Jesus promises:-
“I’ll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world.” (Matt 13:35)

In easily-understood language:-
“And the common people heard him gladly” (Mark 12 :37)

Notice he didn’t come to teach the Old Testament:-
“God has anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor” (Luke 4:18 )
and he:-
“…went all about Galilee preaching the gospel” (Matt 4:23)
and told his disciples to:-
“Go into all the world and preach the gospel” (Mark 16:15)

His followers knew:-
“He gives us all we need for life” (2 Pet 1:3)
because:-
“The covenant of Jesus is superior to the old one” (Heb 8:6-13)
And that they must:-
“…fix our eyes on Jesus,the author and finisher of our faith” (Heb 12:2)

Sadly there are still too many Christians who can’t grasp that the essence of Christianity is SIMPLICITY; it’s almost as if they think “Surely Christianity can’t be as uncomplicated as that, it’d be too easy!”

So instead of simply accepting Jesus’s sparkling fresh water:-
“Whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst.” (John 4:14)
they stir in chunks of scripture from elsewhere in the Bible,notably from the Old Testament, thereby needlessly muddying the water.
That’s why all sorts of conflicting Christian denominations and cults have arisen,each drinking a muddy home-brew of their own because they haven’t heeded Pauls concern:-
“I’m worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ” (2 Cor 11:3)

Does anyone here read the New English Bible? It’s an Oxbridge publication, I believe, under the direction of the major churches of Great Britain - maybe from the sixties. I have a copy, but it’s in the other room. Waaaay over there. Anyway, it’s the only one I read. It doesn’t do much for Numbers, for example - but what would? It’s generally pretty easy on the eyes. I never hear it mentioned, but it’s really a good translation.

Huh?

I like the good old fearless King James version, but I glance at the NIV (New International Version) for useful crossreference, but most modern translations are wimpy and politically correct.
Hey I haven’t picked up a Bible for a couple of years now because its much easier to browse them on the net, this is a good site -
biblegateway.com/keyword/
One thing I like doing there is typing in a word or phrase and up comes a list of all verses containing it…

why wouldent you read them all?

…Are you serious? You’re asking why wouldn’t he read all of the bible right?..

I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but maybe I already have. Reading every version of the bible would be for the most part, incredibly stupid.

Heres an example of why:

John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his only beggotten son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. - King James Version

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. - New International Version

For God so (A)loved the world, that He (B)gave His (C)only begotten Son, that whoever (D)believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. - New american standard bible

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - New Living Translation

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believes on him may not perish, but have life eternal. - Darby Translation

For God loved so the world [Forsooth God so loved the world], that he gave his one begotten Son, that each man that believeth in him perish not, but have everlasting life. - Wycliffe New Testament

for God did so love the world, that His Son – the only begotten – He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during. - Youngs Literal Translation

I tried to get the really odd ones in there as you may see…hehe. But they still run consistent. Everyone seems to have bought the lie of the telephone game from the original scriptures as well as bought the lie that translations are done off of other versions, they’re done of the originals.
Not saying you bought this lie, but all these versions run consistent with each other, just for some others are ‘easier’ to read.

King James Version in my opinion is best because it’s known to be the most accurate from the original with the big words it uses. But I haven’t heard of a version yet that contradicts what another version says…if it happened to I would take King James over any since it’s been there the longest, I’m pretty sure…? Might need some feedback on that though.

Yromem quote - why wouldent you read them all?

Because many of the newer versions are politically-correct crap :slight_smile:
For example the fearless King James uses the word “heathens”, but its been replaced in most newer versions with “nations”.
Huh !

The bible…the ancient version of the Sun daily sport…without the nipple count.