Simple logic

From Shybard - There are many paths to enlightenment

BUDDHA - “I’m just a human speaking my own thoughts”
CONFUCIUS - “And me”
ALL OTHER THINKERS - “So are we”
JESUS -“I’m the Messiah (John 4:25), the Christ (Matt 16:16) the Superprophet (Matt 11:3) and the Son of God (Mark 14:61), I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say…” (John 12:49)

Now which is the logical path to follow?

not the path of the jesus. he was just a con artist and slight of hand expert who fooled people into think he was something he wasnt.

But if thats that case explain to us what he was in it for, money, fame, crucifixion… ?

power, plain and simple…then when they found out he was just a common crook…the nailed him up.

Nah, Pilate found him not guilty :slight_smile:
“Then said Pilate to the chief priests and to the people, I find no fault in this man” (Luke 23:4)
However then the snooty priests piped up with “Hey just a minute chummy, this Jesus dood said he was a King, and that’s treason against Rome because only Caesar is a king!”
So Pilate said “Hmm yes you’re right, okay I find the prisoner guilty of treason”.
See, neither Pilate or the priests said Jesus was a crook…

I don’t think you’re being fair Mick, or particularily logical.

Jesus gets five quotes, Buddha barely more than five words. I mean, come on dude, we may be atheists but we’re not idiots (or insane)

cheers,
gemty

hey Mick…its simple logic. to commit treason is to break the law…if you break the law you are a crook…QED my old mate!

What was jesus in it for? Who knows. If someone claims to be the son of god, are you going to think he is a)crazy, or b) the lord? The fact that a book was written around his actions 2000 years ago, and it is still in circulation, doesn’t mean it was any less a madman then anyone else claiming to be the son of god. If any one deserves respect, it is people that preach their viewpoints without using the fear of god as an incentive to listen to what they are saying. Jesus had a few good things to say, but all in all, his philosophy was nothing special, or new. I think he was just a cool cat, preaching some good ethics, enjoying his life, and that was that.

Do cool cats get crucified? I’m an avowed atheist materialist and no lover of Christianity, but such a portrait of Jesus is simplistic to the point of bullshit.

Enjoying life??? Possibly up until his crucifixion maybe. If anyone derserves respect it’s Jesus Christ. Amoung all others. He alone offered himself as a sacrifice to save us from our misery.

Say what you want about him, but no other leader has done that. You may think your words are soothing to a Christians ear, but to me what you’ve said is a slap in the face.

Thanks aporia. I just have one question for you nohotdogbuns. You say you know Jesus, you explain in detail of who you think he is, you shrink him down to just a cool cat, and in all of this information you’ve grasped from the Holy Word of God you miss the reason of what Jesus was in it for???

If you’re going to use the Bible, use all of it. Because you have no idea what you’re talking about and it’s making you look, to put it bluntly, dumb.

Did Buddha say he was the Son of God? If he did i’ll listen to him, but in the meantime he’s just another human to me.
And I ask again - If Jesus had arrived in Buddhas time, what do you buddhists think Buddha would have said about Jesus?

After Jesus’s first few gigs “Jesus’s family and friends tried to take charge of him,saying he’s out of his mind” (Mark 3:21)
"Many of them said, “He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?”(John 10:20)
But when he began freaking them by raising corpses to life and curing peoples ills they began saying “Er…on second thoughts…” :wink:

They prolly would have ignored him as they had/have hundreds of Gods in India and still do to this day.

Correct me if I’m wrong but Buddha believed that if you find yourself in the abode called hell, no sweat, you’ll get “re-born” out of it.
Thats a dangerous philosophy because it weakens peoples fear of hell, we can almost imagine Satan saying - “Don’t worry if you find yourself in hell, you’ll get reborn out of it sooner or later, you can trust me, would I lie?”
No wonder Jesus had to come to set things straight by telling us hell (and heaven) are eternal, once in, NEVER out…

He was killed for his beliefs. What exactly does that have to do with being a cool cat or not?

this guy died for his cause. Though he may not have walked up and said “here, kill me”, you don’t give him enough credit if you think he didn’t realise that his actions would most likley lead to his death. Thich Quang Duc burned himself to death for the sake of his fellow man. These men stood behind their ideals to the bitter end, and in my eyes deserve more respect then JC. Why? JC “knew” he was the son of God. He “knew” a crucifixtion wasn’t that big a deal if the promise of eternal happiness was at the end of it, and hey, saving the world while you’re at it makes you look like a pretty charming chap as well.

Where did I say I “knew Jesus”? You may make note of the “I think” that proceeded my implication that he was a cool cat. In all honesty, I have never read a verbatim copy of “the Holy Word of God”, becuase none exists to this day. The scriptures in the current version of the bible have long been twisted for the sake of politics, and this somehow cheapens the whole expereince for me. There is a plethora of literature available from long before Jesus’ time, and most of it remains untainted by politics. I would rather study unscathed ancient philosophies that better align with my ethics.

Follow the word of god verbatim, or don’t follow it at all. I doubt the bible was meant to be taken literally, and having said that, I don’t think any corpses’ were raised, water turned to wine, or arks built. Lets face it, the bible has some wacky advice to give, so I find it hard to blindly accept JC’s involvment in necromancy.

As I’ve said before, when anybody begins a statement with “I don’t think…”, it means its just their personal opinion, guess or hunch without a shred of backup and is just a blank round.
But Christians have plenty of backup and fire full metal jacketed rounds :wink:
Ammo store - [size=75]Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers Deuteronomy Joshua Judges Ruth 1 Samuel 2 Samuel 1 Kings 2 Kings 1 Chronicles 2 Chronicles Ezra Nehemiah Esther Job Psalms Proverbs Ecclesiastes Song of Solomon Isaiah Jeremiah Lamentations Ezekiel Daniel Hosea Joel Amos Obadiah Jonah Micah Nahum Habakkuk Zephaniah Haggai Zecharia Malachi Matthew Mark Luke John The Acts Romans 1 Corinthians 2 Corinthians Galatians Ephesians Phillipians Colossians 1 Thessalonians 2 Thessalonians 1 Timothy 2 Timothy Titus Philemon Hebrews James 1 Peter 2 Peter 1 John 2 John 3 John Jude Revelation[/size]

When you were a child, did you ever play games in which you made up all the rules so they suited your personal interests? That’s what you just did here with logic.

OK. You are wrong.

By this expression you have obviously never read about Buddhism. So lemme school you a bit. To live is to suffer. One of the most important statements. This is to be taken that life as we know it; is our equivocal hell. He most certainly did not say “no sweat”. It is a dangerous philosophy simply because it does not coincide with your’s. Seriously tho. Read more. You can’t make gigantic assertions about things you know nothing about.

I know you recently posted saying “Mick go die in a fire”.
Is that little gem the sort of enlightenment Buddhism gives you?
Are you a typical Buddhist?
Are all Buddhists like you?