Jessica

Standard23 quote -Maybe to make people think that God can need and make use of people who doubt themselves, thereby giving meaning to the weak, who then subscribe to Christianity for meaning and value?

Nah mate, Jesus stressed he came for everybody regardless of rank. For example he said to one of the scribes “you’re close to God, well done”, and when a Roman centurion asked him to cure his servant Jesus said “sure, no prob”
Likewise a synagogue ruler once asked his help and got it. Here’s the tale, lets call the girl Jessica -

JESSICA by Mick
Jessica had a good life in ancient Israel, she grew into a fine young woman, got married and had children, and was kind and friendly to all.
Like everyone else, she knew the story of the young carpenter from Nazareth who the snooty priests had killed years before when she was just a little girl,and she often used to sit and think about him and wished she’d seen him.
The years passed, and grey hairs began to appear. Her dear father died of old age, and then her mother became gravely ill. As she sat at her bedside holding her hand and talking to her, their conversation turned to years gone by.
“Mum” she said, “you were a young woman when Jesus was alive,and i just wonder if you ever saw him?”
Her mother looked up into her eyes and said with a gentle smile:- “Well yes, as a matter of fact he came to our town one day when you were just a little girl,but you wouldn’t remember because you were…very ill…”
“Wow mum!” replied Jessica “and did you manage to catch a glimpse of him among all the crowds?”
“Yes i did,in fact he came down our very street!” replied her mother.
“Really?” asked Jessica in wide-eyed astonishment.
“Yes darling” answered her mother, “and as a matter of fact your dad ran out to him and asked him to come into our house”
Hearing this, Jessica’s jaw dropped in amazement.
“Oh mum, thats fantastic!..I wish i hadn’t been ill or i’d have remembered it, and i could have held his hand and talked to him!”
“Darling” replied her mother tenderly, “I’ve never told you this before,but when he came in he held your hand and he spoke to you!”
“Wow thats absolutely incredible mum!” said Jessica in delight, “And what did he say to me?”
Her mother looked into her beloved daughters eyes and replied:- “He said to you softly and gently ‘Get up little girl’…”
“Ooh and what happened then mum?”
“You came back to life darling” answered her mum, “he brought you back to us…”

Mark ch 5 - "He went in and said to them, “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” But they laughed at him.
After he put them all out, he took the child’s father and mother and the disciples who were with him, and went in where the child was.
He took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha koum!” (which means, “Little girl, I say to you, get up!” )

Mick…

when to stone your family:

thebricktestament.com/the_la … 06-08.html

" Deuteronomy 13:6-8
‘If your brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife tries to secretly entice you, telling you to go and worship other gods, gods of people living near you, or far from you, or anywhere on earth, do not listen to him.’"

And what was jesus? he was a “god” that early christians tried to get jews to worship over YHWH.

Remember the 10 commandments?

(well the first set anyways.)

“He said, 'I am Yahweh your God. You shall have no other gods before me.”

No other gods I assume includes Jesus.

Is it any wonder the majority of orthodox jews didn’t follow christ? his “dad” told them not to.

jesus = god.

I once knew a lady of horizontal refreshment called jessica…

Nah, Jesus wants MATES, not worshippers -
“You’re my friends if you follow me. I don’t call you servants, but I call you friends, for all things that I heard from my Father I have made known to you.” (John 14:14/15)
That verse also makes it clear he wasn’t God…

that verse says nothing about him not being God. him referring to God as his “father” is a metaphor to relate how we should view God. families are a human thing that we can look at to see the relationship between us and God.

Okay buster sort through this truckload of verses and then still try to maintain Jesus was God :wink:
Jesus said - “I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I” (John 14:28 )
Jesus said - “Why do you call me good? Only God is good” (Luke 18:19)
Jesus said - “Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don’t know myself” (Mark 13:32)
High Priest asks - “Are you the Son of God?” Jesus replies - “I am” (Mark 14:61)
Jesus said - “I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say…” (John 12:49)
“My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me” (John 7:17)
“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” (Luke 23:46)
God himself said - “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased” (Matt 3:17)
And of course Jesus regularly prayed to God, yet if he was God why would he pray to himself?

wrer there many jessicas in ancient israel?

Dunno, I don’t have the Jerusalem phone directory year 0000 to hand…

i have heard the theory that Jesus, in human form, was not as great as God… that, say, he imparted his personality and goodness and love into the human form, but the human was not God, just a physical representation of God, and an example of how we all must act.

really, mick, i thought you were a christian because of all these threads. this whole response about Jesus not being God would seem to negate that belief.

Exactly creation imperfect…Jesus was 100 percent man and 100 percent God. To say he was not would be doubting that God could perform in this way as a representation of how we need to be. God had to be fully man so that we could relate, we wouldn’t understand if he didn’t.

Or that’s how I at least see it. My words may not hold up however for such a controverisal subject. I’ll ask my uncle who is a Professor of Theology, I’m sure he can answer :slight_smile:

Which of these verses don’t you understand mate?
Jesus said - “I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I” (John 14:28 )
Jesus said - “Why do you call me good? Only God is good” (Luke 18:19)
Jesus said - "Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don’t know myself" (Mark 13:32)
High Priest asks - “Are you the Son of God?” Jesus replies - “I am” (Mark 14:61)
Jesus said - “I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say..” (John 12:49)
“My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me” (John 7:17)
“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” (Luke 23:46)
God himself said - “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased” (Matt 3:17)
And of course Jesus regularly prayed to God, yet if he was God why would he pray to himself?

if i was determined to prove the bible wrong i could find as many, if not more verses than you to pull out of context and say “see! he said ‘father’!! so they’re disconnected, right??”

You can certainly talk the talk mate, but can you walk the walk? :wink:

well… apparently not to everyone. Certainly not to mormons, JW’s, jews and muslims.

as we saw from the graph mick posted in the other thread, only 30% of the world is christians, and that includes many christians (like the two groups above) who don’t believe that.

Certainly you can understand that if a group of people go around claiming that christ is god, why more people didn’t jump on the bandwagon.

God forbid it.

mick
"Nah, Jesus wants MATES, not worshippers - "

heard of John 3:18?

“He that believeth on him is not condemned:”

I don’t believe in my mates like that mick.

creation imperfect
“families are a human thing that we can look at to see the relationship between us and God.”

So we should do this:

matthew 10:21

“10:21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.”

and

“10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (
10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.”

and it looks mick in england doesn’t believe that christ is god, creation…

so even he has found a loophole to worship jesus as a brother… but I tell you this… He doesn’t hold any family member in as high regard as he does the fairy tale from the new testament.

#1) neither of you have met christ. You’ve only imagined him based upon what you’ve been taught and what you’ve read from the books.

#2) The books are not historical records.

i’m bothered more by the belief that christianity is separate from the belief that Jesus is not God. that’s the whole POINT of christianity. it’s why “christ” is in the name! “christian” means “little christ.” it was a derogatory name used against the early christians that they kept for themselves, saying “that’s what we want to be seen as: little christs!”

i.e. CHRISTAINITY IS SO NAMED BECAUSE THEY WORSHIP CHRIST—AKA JESUS.