Lets not be biased!

I’m so sick of it.

What I would like to see more of, more because I’ve seen some of it already thankfully, is a Christian Back up an atheist when another Christian is incorrect. Or an Atheist back up a Christian when another atheist is incorrect. I think it’s stupid to just agree with someone because they are of the same party as you. Why can’t we all be more sincere?

Faust to me is a great example of what ‘I’ like to see in an atheist. I don’t disrespect him and he doesn’t disrespect me, we respect what each other believes but are both willing to question so that we may learn from each other. I know I have to be careful with my words, and I’m not saying there are not other Atheist like him…but he’s just an example I’ve seen so far on this site.

Anyway that’s enough, I’ll jump down from my soapbox now.

Faust is a mature poster but sometimes what is right by one side is already the stance taken by the other so when their ideas coincide you will have athiests helping athiests and vice versa with Christians.

I do that on boards and forums, and just look at the response I get from so-called “christians” -

Steve H - “Micks a narrow-minded unchristian unqualified know-nothing silly little man and work-shy racist layabout”
Cymba - “Micks an unchristian aggressive liar showing no fruits of the spirit”
Zeke - “Micks wrong wrong wrong and denies Gods word”
Christian Trucker Pat - “Micks proud,arrogant,self-glorifying, uncharitable,offensive,lacking understanding and talking drivel”
Linda -“Mick’s a silly little Brit”
Gloryboundd - “Mick’s a senile liar and fool”
Elbown - “Mick you put me off Christianity and i’m a Christian”
SheriNuwine - “Mick you come across as a pervert,do you like cheeky little minxes who play with dollies?”
Sunami - “Mick…the lazy workshy parasite that you are”
Reverend Eric Potts - “You disgust me Mick”

That makes me sick man… That’s whats wrong with Christianity today, it’s just being misrepresented. Of course I will make mistakes and so will you, but sometimes we don’t realize and we need a Christian to tell us we’re wrong.

Whoa right there bub !
What makes you think you’re ever wrong? That’s loser talk…
Me, I’m never wrong -
“…as a christian, praise God you bear that name…that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured…for God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power…”
(1 Pet 4:16, Col 4:12, 2 Tim 1:7)

Well, there you ahve it Club Mick just called you a loser. So much for your Christian comradery.

Only a person who doesn’t care a whit about the truth would say such a thing.

My opinion of your intellectual integrity diminishes by the hour.

Hi Club29,

Just a quick note; implicit in that statement is a bias.

Connect

“Me, I’m never wrong”? And I thought only God was perfect. What’s up?

How so? You think we should be biased?

Hello Club29,

All I am saying is that we all have bias. To say we do not is ridiculous (to me). I am of the belief that we should own our bias and work from there-not deny that they exist. What I was pointing out is that your title, “Lets not be biased!” is stating a bias toward other people’s bias. It is a self defeating statement.

Dr. T

Ridiculous to you, glad you cleared that up. Ok Dr. T, would you have preferred if I used the Title, “Lets try not to be so biased when we debate”?

Sure we’re all going to be biased to some extent, that would be ‘ridiculous’ if anyone made that claim. But as I described, and sometimes you have to read the post after the title, I can’t stand biased arguments. If I was observing two Christians debating one atheist and one Christian used false material, I would like to see the other Christian point this out instead of just going along his/her marry way and ignore it.

And as being a Doctor, maybe you already knew this. But this wasn’t about whether or not the title contradicts itself, and I think you knew that. I see your point and I already knew this, I’m just talking in extremes.

For example if I posted “Lets not be Angry”, that would be contradicting would it not? For at least a couple reasons I know of. From now on if it pleases you, and I have enough space, I’ll make sure not to make it a contradicting statement ok?

Mick, this is one of those times. Loser talk you may call it, but I call it truth. If I used wrong information, or did something against what would represent Christ…I’d hope you’d tell me I’m wrong…I’d hope, otherwise I’m going to look like an idiot down the road, just like you’ve made yourself look now.

Use your power, but be careful of your words.

Club29,

I did read and understand the rest of your post. I apologize if I came off too harsh and pedantic. Many of us make statements that we wish we could take back and I appreciate your feedback. I’ve run into so many people that make statements and do not realize that they are self defeating. No need/expectation for your statements to be (unless you want to) but it is good to be clear when communicating (when possible)

Connections

Alright well I appreciate your feedback as well and I agree with you, that is an issue that I struggle with alot I’ll admit.