August 22, watch out?

Nothing like killing in the name of God. I wonder what we would choose to war over if religion didn’t exist. Sports? :slight_smile:

Wait… wasn’t Y2K supposed to dominate us all and lead to the apocalypse, as our bank accounts disappeared and computers had heart attacks… =;

This is just another cheap trick put on my religious extremists… the end of the world ain’t gonna be predicted.

Then again… I could be sorry as my home gets swalloed by fire and brimestone around rush hour time on the 22nd…

Jehovahs Witnesses are the ones for humiliating themselves by trotting out a succession of end-of-world dates which have come and gone…
In fact not even Jesus knew the final date and could only give us the following pointers -

END OF DAYS by Mick
Jesus speaking in Mark 13
"Many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and will deceive many…
Wars and rumors of wars…Nation will rise against nation…Earthquakes…
Famines… persecutions…And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations.
Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning, when God created the world, until now–and never to be equaled again.
If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive.
But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them.
At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ’ or, ‘Look, there he is!’ do not believe it.
For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the elect–if that were possible.
So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.
But in those days, following that distress the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.
At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.
And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.
Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.
Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it is near, right at the door.
I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father"

True dat.

Do you see no problems in this?

I can see several points worth discussing, so shoot :wink:

There have always been people "claiming, ‘I am he,’ and they have always “decieved.”

"There have always been “Wars and rumors of wars”. Nation vs Nation.

There have always been earthquakes. Famines. Persecutions.

“And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations.” = Agenda pushing.

“Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning, when God created the world, until now–and never to be equaled again.
If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive.
But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them.” = lol

“At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ’ or, ‘Look, there he is!’ do not believe it.
For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the elect–if that were possible.” - This is a good one. Something I would say if I wanted to be the one true “Christ.” --if that were possible?

“So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.” - You have told us nothing.

The sun has been darkened, the moon has not given its light, stars have fallen from the sky, heavenly bodies are shaking all the time.

“At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.
And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.
Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.” - Fairy tale.

“Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it is near, right at the door.
I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.” - These “things” were happening in his time, all of them. It still has not ended, and will not end.

Wait there’s more from Jesus…“Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken” (Luke 21:26)

See, he’s talking about catastrophes above and beyond the usual run-of-the-mill catastrophes that we’re all used to.
And don’t forget he also said “in those days you’ll see me coming back”…
Hasn’t happened yet as far as I know, so keep your camcorder charged up, should be quite a show…

The JW’s do have a tendancy of making jackasses of themselves by preaching the end, and never delivering. Everyone knows, if you want to keep your religion going, you need to preach the apocalypse in the NEAR, but unknown future.

I see no problems with any of this. Although I do not like the version for verse 22 here, it misleads horribly. Instead I choose the King James Version,
"22For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

This means they will seduce others, and will have intentions of seducing the elect…but it will not be possible since God knows who will be the elect and it will go according to his plan. If the AntiChrist is the elect, he can’t be seduced since he is the master of seduction and he is pleased with the seducing.

Does that make sense? I’m pretty sure I’m correct here but I could be wrong.

I interpret “the elect” as “the masses.” They will try to get the masses to believe in them, just as Christ did.

They will succeed at seducing the masses and will try to seduce the elect(not the masses). Otherwise it wouldn’t make sense to use “if it were possible”.

Ah, the elect of the masses. I still view it as rubbish though.

Well you are entitled to your opinions. But if you wanna discuss it I’m always willing to.

Data

…the world will end.

Portent

The world will not end within the lifetime of any living person. All of the current religious activities are a fad that will wear out in fifteen years.

Profound statements…with no use to anyone but as to dump that load of your chest, do it somewhere else, or at least give reasoning behind your claims.

Please. There have been more wars by atheist reason then by theist reason, and theist wars are just a biproduct of the mentality of the:
“We are holy. You are evil.” concept.
They polarize their holy idea, then the “satanic” “badguys”, etc.

That’s not religion, that’s morality used as a weapon of mass destruction.

I suspect that you will be fine. More bonus points for the atheists.

:laughing:

Look out dudes, when stuff starts getting really bad, you’re going to be getting closer to the end.