Triune God.

I’m not gonna lie.

As much as I try to wrap my mind around the idea of a triune God, I still really just don’t get it.

Are they aspects of the same entity? If so, are other aspects possible?

If they are not aspects of the same singular entity, what is going on?

They are not best described as individual aspects of the same entity. More like seperate entities but with absolutley identical substance. The early Christians said “three persons, one substance”. Confused? It’s just one of those things!

Xunzian,

One might consider the three as different perspective points looking at the same entity. The qualities represented in each perspective are still the same, even as the language of current christian thought seems to separate them into individual entities.

The Trinity is like an oyster, God and Jesus are the two halves sharing the same guts- the holy spirit.
I have no problem at all with that “separate-but-one” concept :slight_smile:

See image here: gotquestions.org/images/trinity.jpg

Can someone tell me how to post a picture in a post without having to link to is?

Thanks,

Connect

Xunzian, they’re a little more like roles than aspects, but there is only one entity. Other roles are certainly possible; an infinite number of them is. The idea within Christianity (generally–there are obviously major divisions) is that, at the moment, we don’t understand ourselves well enough to talk about more yet–or perhaps we won’t ever need to talk about any more identities.

Connections, without the space in [img] and with no asteriks.

Thank you Alun Aedicita. I’ll try that next time.

Connect

Repeat post deleted

The triune – or number three, in the non-christian esoteric meaning – often has to do with father, mother and son. The three represent the origin of individual birth/existence. A triangle is relative to this meaning, aswel as other meanings. But I haven’t studdied this…
[takes a shot in the dark & finds a quote]

[edit]
Don’t mean to be mean, but I did find some fluffy pagan shit attaching different forms of love and joy to each number. Not much use there… [puts it in the trash] #-o

In old christian terms, God’s “holy spirit” is basically anything which does his will, usually metaphysical, but not always. It’s like saying: “God’s right hand”. People who “had holy spirit poured onto them” started to preach and heal, etc., because they were beginning to do God’s will, thus had/were God’s active-force. God’s will imprinted upon a substance which could actuate.

As regards “Jesus”. If we go by the Muslim interporatation, “Jesus” is not the “son of god”, because in various verses it calls “Jesus” both “the son of man” and “the son of god”. Ressurection of the dead, for example, has been said to have happened biblically – at the hands of a few other prophets, also. So, prophets do miracles; doesn’t mean they are God.

So, we’re left with no triad, by these interporatations. Triads are hardly monotheistic. Three headed god-dudes are related to ancient babylonian religionz.

I’d guess god was just born that way… in babylon. His mom, maybe she drank too much booze. Now, one head breaths, one head can see, the other head can eat and smell. I guess it works… sort of. :laughing:

Based on the diagram, could it then be described as relational?

For example, when I am speaking to my boss I am a very different person than when I am speaking to an old friend from high school, and I am a different person still when I am speaking to my present girlfriend.

While these individuals are all very different people, they are still ‘me’ but the boss-me is not the girlfriend-me, is not the old-friend-me, is not the current-friend-me, ect.

Does that work? Or am I still off?

I think the relational aspect is important. The Christian God is defined in terms of “God is love”. I’ve heard it said that the triune nature of God is the only thing that actually makes this possible, since love always has to have an object. Thus, before the world existed God was still “love” since the Father loved the Son, the Son loved the Spirit etc…). To have a monotheistic God without some aspect of multiple entities would nullify the “God is love” statement since there would have been nothing to love.

Hi Xunzian,

That would not be consistent with the traditional understanding of the Trinity. What you are describing is known as modelism or sabelism. The Father is not the Son, the Son is not the H.S. the H.S. is not the Father, etc. Each of the three personages are not the other yet all together, they are one God. They all had different roles.

Connections

=========

Triune God to me is perfection, perfect God, perfect principle. Number 3 is perfect. I think we can see the number 3 in everything. For example yourself, you came from a father and a mother. 1+2=3. A male and another male or a female and another female cannot produce a baby, it has to be a male and a female having a sexual intercourse. Another example, when elements combine, they form a compound (H2O, NaCl, etc. A table is also 3, wood, nails or glue, and a person making the table. A lighted candle: wick, wax, a match. Tshirt? cloth, thread, scissors. Three combine to form one(unity).

It looks like you’re saying the same thing to me.