Mother nature

If god created the earth and everything on it plants animals etc and god is male…then why do we call it Mother Nature?..

Historical, pre-christian language conventions?

Well God is male, and I believe he created the heavens and earth. But for why we use mother nature, not sure, tried looking it up?

purely preferance of humans and we abide by the decision for the name.

its really just called nature, mother nature is what enthusiasts call it through some weak reasoning and logic.

and where the f does god being male come from ? christianity ? im not a follower so i guess not from my view, anyway for a male to exisist it has to have or have had a female counterpart in its species, so thats saying there was a she god ‘gave birth’ lol! to this man god. which it ludacris since the laws here ( laws of the universe ) do not apply to that of a god.
i doubt ‘god’ has as sex.

God created man in his own image. Probably means he’s that of a male.

I find it fascinating you question this but when it comes down to determining how our universe came to be you’d rather believe nothing created something.

How can a supposedly immaterial substance have an image?

We have no knowledge of universe-creation and so cannot know what it takes to happen. If you insist nothing cannot create somethig, what created God?

Well, as an atheist, I can see several answers to both questions, from a theistic perspective the most obvious (IMHO) are:

1. Since God created Adam first, it is reasonable to infer that God is male. Adam was created in God’s image, Eve was created from Adam. (The position of Lilith here is uncertain and would imply a both-gendered God, but that isn’t canon, insofar as I understand it)

2. God doesn’t need to follow the laws of the universe. If you program the physics of a game, you don’t necessarily need to obey those physics yourself. Look at ragdoll physics in modern computer games. Not realistic, but very very fun. Why couldn’t God (who exists outside of this universe) do the same?

doesnt neccesarily means that he is a male, i thought that bible quote meant god created man so he would act god like.
either way i dont belive in christianity and what i say still stands.

when did i say i dont belive in god ?, i said i dont belive in christianity also i dont belive in religieon. i believe in the existence of ‘god’

By that reasoning why don’t things God created before humans actually portray his image, like other animals or trees or rocks? Seems anthropomorphic as ever to me. Furthermore, evolution has given an extremely gradual mutation of species, so drawing a line at current (male) humans seems very arbitrary and, again, anthropomorphic!

What exactly are you suggesting by this? That God created himself?

thats not an athiests answer, thats a christians…

do you yourself belive god is male ?

oh and and your second answer contradicts with the first, if god doesnt need to follow the rules of the universe then he wouldnt need to be male just his creation (adam) would, in order to reproduce. god would have no need to reproduce in such a way since hes all powerfull and does not follow our laws right ? there for he wouldnt need to be a certain sex. being male would be useless to him, hes all powerfull he wouldnt need to be bound by our laws.

possible gods always been, remember god doesnt need to follow the rules we have. we are under the rule of action - reaction but not god ( i assume )

God may well be able to create physical laws, but would still be bound by logical laws - we don’t know for sure how far they extend, and hence how far God’s power could go.

Well, let’s look into this further:

1. According to the Bible God created Man (specifically Adam) in his image. I don’t think it is too far of a stretch to say that this statement would suggest that God is male. Adam is male. Adam was created in Gods image. Ergo, God is male. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
    You say it is anthropocentric, but since man is created in God’s imagine, I think it is fair to argue that it is deiicentric and that anthropocentricism is a reflection of the deiicentric universe we inhabit.

On a side note, why 'male’ness can exist without 'female’ness is beyond me. But that ties into #2.

1. Why would God be bound by logical laws? He exists outside of this Universe and creates all the laws within this universe, but because he does exist outside of the system, he isn’t bound by it. Think of Fajia and their definition of Rule of Law. The Emperor creates the law, and he is bound to them, insofar as he creates them to be relative to him. If he wants to create a signing statement, well, it is his game, so why not?

What do I, myself, believe?

I, personally, think that the Big Bang provides the clearest and most elegant explanation for the beginning of the known universe and that Evolution is the only reasonable explanation for life on Earth. I do not believe in the Christian God, nor any other Divine being . . . though I have a soft spot for the chinese shamanistic view of Heaven, because of its ties to Confucian religio-philosophy.

That doesn’t mean that I can’t see the question from another angle, though.

God has always been there. How do you know what God is made up of?

its not why maleness can exist without famaleness, its why would, god has no need for it, he cant be classed as male unles god has a female counterpart. to label god male drags along that law, god its most likely that hasnt got a sex.

Well you can make that determination if you don’t believe the Bible is God’s word, you are free to accept that. But that still doesn’t disprove God could be male. If God knows all he’d know this would cause confusion, therefore he wouldn’t have sent his son but his daughter. So here again you must Deny that Christ was the messiah. You deny alot of truths by saying that God was not male. But in denying this biblical texts you’ve accomplished nothing but Created your own opinion. In result you’ve created your own religion, an impersonal God at that.

Mother Earth is deriviative from the early religions which viewed it as a being that gave life. Gaea I believe is an early name for Mother Earth.

Earth is represented as a fertile land that gives much abundance. And besides very rare exceptions in nature only females can give birth.

Thank you, finally.

I still think it’s simply a human desire to apply our predicates to God. If He does exist, I don’t imagine he would need to be a paticular sex.

You still speak of physical laws which I agree God could create. Logical laws are different, e.g. do you think God could be exist and not exist?
What do I, myself, believe?

I don’t know what he would be made up of. How do you know God has always been there?