Stephen and the Hitmen

STEPHEN AND THE HITMEN by Mick
There’s a true episode in the life of Stephen of Perm, one of the early Russian missionaries that shows how everybody likes a true, proper Christian:-
He discovered in the region of Perm pagans with a different language and therefore out of reach of the Gospel.
He learned their language and went out to preach in their midst.
The local shamans wanted to destroy him and they sent a group of armed men to kill him.
They came back and the shamans said, “Is he dead?”
“No”, they said, “we couldn’t kill him, when we met him face to face, there was such love and openness in him that we knelt down and begged for his blessing.”

We don’t know how he treated them when they turned up to kill him. Maybe he knew they’d come to get him, maybe not, but it made no difference to him.
He probably said something like “Hello my friends, have you come far?
I was just about to sit down for a meal, come in and join me.
Tell me about yourselves, you lived in this area long?
Got any family?
Tell them they’re welcome to visit me anytime, i’m going to build a small meeting hall for the community, everybody’ll be welcome.
You look like hunters, we’d love you to show us how to catch some fish and game, you can take groups of kids out to teach them woodcraft if you like…
Want another cup of tea?
Oh you’re not leaving already are you?
Just a sec, let me pack a few sandwiches and a little wine for you in case you get peckish on the way back.
Come again soon, i’ve enjoyed your company…”