Christianity once an introverted and introspective Movement?

Hi all,

Opinions amongst the general public about Jesus amount to hearsay, very often based on prejudices picked up from the street, mixed with unfounded imagination and shaken by emotions. The source of our information about him seems to be a book with seven seals so that paperbacks about the biblical theme seem to be more appealing than the most sold book in the world itself. The use of film and pictures and the embarrassing portrayal of Jesus in the media are only a few methods of loosing the biblical source out of view. The Hollywood productions, depending on the intention of the films producers, have done their best to promote their own vision of Jesus in the modern age. The picture of a young smiling man, seldom with oriental or Semitic features, amongst hundreds of people flocking to see him, sticks in our minds.

What becomes apparent about Jesus when reading the Bible, is that he avoided crowds regularly and especially when people least expected him to. His followers seemed to believe that he was looking for popularity and assumed that he would fulfil messianic hopes so that they literally hunted him when he sought seclusion. But he forbade them using the term “Messiah”, foresaw a less glorious end for himself and dampened many jubilant exclamations, having more the appearance of a humble sage rather than that of a victorious hero.

Of course we read about him silencing the Scribes and the Pharisees, but not in a manner that would bring him wide renown. Rather, he was a prophet who was “without honour … in his own country, and in his own house.” He was a Galilean, who found little respect in Judea. He was regarded subversive, having come from the area where numerous uprisings had been initiated, and took steps not to be lumped in with the Zealots. He was unknown among the learned of his age and considered too young to have an inspired teaching.

In numerous occasions, we read how he observes daily life from the side, commenting to his followers on his observations, showing the hypocrisy of the ruling class, who also provided the High Priest, whilst exemplifying those people who were looked down upon. But he also commented on the schools of the Pharisees and Scribes, telling those who listened that they should pay attention to what the Scribes and Pharisees say, but not to behave like them. He turned the advocated principles around, advancing the unseen blessedness of the poor, of the mourning, of the meek, of those hungering and thirsting for righteousness, of the kind, of the clean in heart, of the peacemakers and of the persecuted, whilst on the other hand criticising extroverted piety.

Rather, he tells his followers to “go into their chamber, and having shut their door, to pray to their Father … in secret” and not display their devoutness openly. They were told not to “not give that which is sacred to the dogs”, or cast their figurative pearls before the swine. However, his select few were to be neither elitist, nor snobby, but rather modest and unassuming, seeking the best for others and being more concerned with being a “good tree” which bears “good fruit” with an considerate character, rather than concerned with a pious image. Neither were they to be resentful, but prepared to move on where they were not welcome. Thereby his followers would be actively working on the substance of society, unhampered by an image issue, by simply retaining a low profile.

The “multitudes” of which we read in the Bible were rather “large throngs” of people from various districts, showing that people were placing their hope in this alternative hero, who seemed to be more promising than the militant activists who had opposed the Roman occupation. But we also read that he was uncomfortable with the hope people were placing in him, answering “Why do you call me good? No one is good except One, God!” For Jesus, the precepts of the Torah were the door to real life, which found expression by doing the will of God.

However, these and many more examples show me a unique man who had been shown a “Way” that constituted a renewed covenant, bringing about a new quality in the relationship with the Eternal One, with the Law written on the “heart and soul” of his people, with all obstinacy forgiven and past sin forgotten. However, it is an inward turning that turns to the realm in our midst, and not to something external. It is complementary to all external reality, revealing a spiritual lacking that we otherwise miss. This lacking is the metaphorical “Beam” in the eye, a one-sidedness, an imbalance that needs something to regain balance and fullness. The fullness offered by Jesus, the rest for the soul and the yoke that helps us stem the burdens we have to bear is light, and it is enhanced by faith and contemplation.

Introspection is common to Indo-Germanic and Semitic cultures, although Socrates is also said to have used introspection as a way of looking into an individual’s mind through their experiences. It is apparent in the way Jesus has people look at their lives that he saw their inability to see the true bane of their lives – their sin, or separation from the fullness in God. We are incomplete, imperfect and see only partially the reality of our existence. It is said to be portrayed in the Fall of Adam supremely, indicating that our dualism – the knowledge of good and evil – halves our perception, because of which we eventually become sick and die spiritually.

No wonder then that at the end of Matthew 5, which begins with the Beatitudes, the lesson ends with “… ye shall therefore be complete, as your Father in the heavens is complete.” The word here is τέλειος (teleios) meaning ‘complete’ and can be applied to labour, growth, mental and moral character, amongst other things. The need for such completion is apparent in the world today. We still struggle one-eyed for what we perceive to be “good” and deem other things “evil”, but our judgement is impaired and it is only in the introspective confrontation with God’s wholeness that we understand and become humble and gentle – something Jesus says we can learn from him.

Any thoughts?

Shalom

Bob, you never cease to impress.

Your points about Jesus draw more on the Gnostic approach (as it would seem), rather than the opposing traditionally accepted views; and rightly so, put out what it would mean to be a real Christian in the true sense of the word. It reminds me of that idea that Christ went to the East during the missing 18 years of his life and brought back to Judea with him an intimate knowledge of a spirituality strikingly similar to Buddhism. A sort of fusion between the Buddhist spirituality and Judaism…

Concordantly, what would have become a great new religion was to become sodomized by Roman Pantheism, causing further fusions with other ideas and mutating the religion into something unfavorable. We could imagine a white-skinned, white-beareded, white-robbed god sitting in a gold chair surrounded by clouds and looking down upon us humans, saying: “How could I have put so much faith in these humans? What a failure! Could they not have just followed a few simple tenants and set themselves on the path towards spiritual enlightenment and unity with me?” That would certainly not be the case. It is in fact not all too difficult to concieve the possibility that given the Middle East is generally in the center of a multi-continent group, the chance for exposure to other cultures and systems of spirituality is not unlikely. In fact, it could explain for the general evolution of the Abrahamic religions (as they grew out of their respective past spiritualities) being increasingly strict in the administration of belief. Taking Islam for example… a prime suspect of religious doctrine having evolved out of the previous Arab paganism and cultural laws such as the Code of Hammurabi.

Thus we have a systemic failure of the would-be Christianity that shared its shape with Buddhism due to an inherent cultural bias. It leaves me with the growing idea that no such religion can be spread to all parts of the world and be the same no matter where you go. It leaves me with the growing idea that a given religion is the way it is because it suits the best interests of the given culture that practices it. It leaves me with the growing idea that no matter how much you may press a religion upon another person, they will never ultimately accept your style.

Hi Sage,

Although I appreciate what you are saying, I find that all of the basics for an introspective movement are there, just covered over in the translation into Greek. Paul was the genius able to translate, but when he and the other Jewish Apostles had been killed or died, Christianity lost gradually the Semitic connection and consequently started making faith more outward. By the time of Constantine, those introverted Christians were the “odd-balls”.

If you read some of the “announcements” of the Bishops around 200 AD, it is just amazing how extroverted they had become. The advice of Paul in his letter to the Romans is forgotten to the illusion that they were building a Christian society. The excitement of “winning” seems to blind them to the fact that they believe to be “gaining the world” and are in fact “injuring their soul”. As I understand it, the real Christian message heals from within, not by bandaging and splinting.

I’m quite a long way away from that white-skinned, white-bearded, white-robbed god myself, favouring the command, “thou shalt not make unto thee any graven (carved) image.” It seems to be quite plain that the legends surrounding Moses and his “receiving” the law have found exactly the opposite attention to what was intended. At the latest when Hollywood had Charlton Heston lead the Jews out of Egypt, the images that came to mind when hearing the story were reduced to Cecil B. DeMille’s presentation.

I think that the development of mystical Religions that superseded idolatry was natural, since the restriction of the reality behind the universe to a block of stone is quite ridiculous. As Man’s horizons expanded, it was clear that he would have to do away with the primitive superstitions and grasp the enormity of his experience with other means. Since rationality couldn’t grasp the awe that Mankind felt, Mythology had to lend a hand. Some could cope with the No-Thing-ness of the Ineffable, others couldn’t.

The systemic failure is that of the human being. Religion, if it is real, describes the reality that is ineffable, but which Mankind witnesses all over the planet. I wouldn’t expect it all to be identical, but I expect the same problems everywhere. You see, wherever you go, somebody wants to control things and the Holy Man is out of control. He doesn’t allow himself to be compromised, he finds ways of retaining his independence and manages to move mountains. What is a problem, however, is when people believe they are holy men, and haven’t the slightest idea.

Shalom

Bob,

I think you make a good case that Jesus wasn’t out to be noticed or “get ahead” like many today who claim they are following his example. I also like to think of him as an introvert since it is obvious from the gospels he spent a lot of time in prayer and preparation before he did anything, again unlike many Christians today.

However, to go as far as saying that this makes Christianity an introverted movement is a little to much. The Great Commission makes it clear what the purpose of the church was, to both “make disciples” and to “teach them to obey”. I see the first as essentially extroverted, it’s a mission to seek and save. It demands action and speaking, example and interaction. The “teaching to obey” may very well be defined as precisely the attributes of Jesus that you highlight, and be the opposite side of the coin.

I would say that there is a danger in lacking the introspection, otherwise we just become “clanging cymbals”. But if we have too much introspection and not enough action we become too content dealing with our own “issues” and not engaged enough in the world to do any good. We need to do both.

Hi Ned,

Quite true, and in my opinion, the fact that it is uncommon is the reason why Christianity is ineffective today. I think that the attempt to compromise with a society that is effectively opposed to the aims of Christ causes many more problems than we are generally prepared to admit.

The “great” commission has a clear bias alone by the name that it has been given. It also has a liturgical setup and was clearly a part of the service within the churches. However, apart from the fact that the words are from the resurrected Jesus, there are aspects which don’t fit at that stage, one of them is the Trinity which was developed in this clarity at a later point in time.

Mat 28:18-20 (KJV)
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying,
All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things
whatsoever I have commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you always,
even unto the end of the world.
Amen.

If you take the Greek and look at possible other translations, this one comes to mind:

Mat 28:18-20
And having approached them, Jesus spoke to them, saying,
`All freedom in heaven and on earth has been granted me;
travel accordingly, disciple all peoples,
baptizing them […]
teaching them to observe all,
as much as I instructed you,
and see, I am amidst you always
till the completion of the age.’
Amen.

As far as I can see, this isn’t necessarily a “seek and save” command, that foresees the kind of missionary work we have seen, but rather it opens the field and makes clear that the Gospel is no longer restricted to Israel, as it was with Jesus. In fact, when this was finally written, the Greek churches outnumbered the Jewish ones. The instruction to “disciple” all peoples makes it clear that the disciples are no longer just the eleven or twelve, or even the seventy-two, but people from all nations. There is also no reason why people cannot be taught in quiet to observe the apostolic instruction. In fact, it was advisable at the time of writing.

We have grown used to reading the dramatic translations of the Bible, which is why the KJV is so well liked. We are also conditioned to behave in a certain manner when entering churches and cathedrals, which generally were designed to awe us. There is a lot of daily influence on churchgoers, which funnels them into a line of thinking. Basically, we are also as guilty of rewriting or re-interpreting history as any victorious movement has been. However, as Christianity not only became allowed, but also powerful, the delusion of grandeur set it and people put everything into a new perspective.

Does introspection mean that love or benevolence ceases to be the “greatest” amongst moral conviction and hope? I think that our prejudice against introspection is unfounded. All it means is that we concentrate on being disciples, or on being the “good tree”, withholding ourselves from the illusion that we can serve two masters. We are not able to serve God and Mammon. "Because of this, I say to you, Do not be anxious for your soul, what you eat and what you drink, nor for your body, what you put on. Is not the soul more than the food and the body than the clothing?”

Introspection is about caring for the soul, for the “Nephesh”, the centre of our being or heart. Only those who care for their own soul will be able to care for others. Only those who find salvation, the balance of life, will be able to help others. The inner chamber is essential to those following the “great” commission to spread the word, quietly and lovingly, ensuring that they are able to complete the work they begin. Once you begin to become extroverted, contradiction and hypocrisy is guaranteed.

Shalom

I can give an “Amen” to that. I think that having a deep devotional life is just plain hard and the cost is high. Most are unwilling to pay the cost or take the hardship, hence mediocrity at best. And I include myself in that boat. Americans want things yesterday. Devotional life doesn’t work like that. It’s much easier to talk about a devotional life than to actually have one of any substance.

Maybe. But I don’t like to reinterpret passages too much based on conjecture, so maybe not.

I don’t know much greek. This version softens it up a little but it’s still a calling to go and baptise. How can this be accomplished without some hard core evangelism? Look at Acts. There is a model of the church in action. They clearly understood this passage to mean “Go”, “preach”, and “do miracles”. Modern protestants don’t usually like the last of these, but essentially the gospel message was confrontational and that included words and action.

I understand what you are saying and given modern day evangelism. you’re probably looking for an alternative. But the book of Acts clearly supports a more confrontational form of evangelism. Plus, most of Paul’s letters do too.

I’m not nuch of a fan. It is riddled with inaccuracies and hard to read. I prefer the NIV or GNB but interdenominational wars have been started for saying less!

I don’t know about that. It took a while before they started building cathedrals.

I agree somewhat but I think over-introspection can be unhealthy. Take the picture of the church as a body. Everyone has a function. It’s important we fulfill our function and don’t just get lost within ourself. There is a world of social justice, poverty, crime and hopelessness. Too much navel gazing means Christians don’t engage in these issues. But on the other hand if your going to engage properly you need to find your devotional life. Without it, it’s just “doing stuff”.

I agree somewhat. I just think you’ve overempasised one aspect of Christianity. But it is probably one that modern Christians are useless at.

Hi Ned,

The problem is though that I think that for salvation and spiritual health’s sake, a deep devotional life is essential. Without it, we are blind people talking about the colour of the sky. I too must retain some self-criticism with what I say, but it seems to me to be indispensable. This is just one of the reasons why I started investigating deeper and took on a “mode” of faith that I believe is more in keeping with what Jesus was talking about and what Paul spread in the first churches.

If we discover that devotional life is suffering, and believe our salvation hangs on it, surely we have to make choices? I feel that the arguments about dogmas, sexual persuasion, abortion and many other issues are merely projections of guilty feelings onto other people, aiding an illusion that I am still on the right track. By attacking non-believers, many Christians just try to cover-up their own qualms. The same could be seen in generations past with general moral principles, which were often more bourgeois than Christian.

I’m afraid that “hard core evangelism” isn’t as effective as people make out. There were studies about evangelism in the UK and published in Spurgeon’s old paper, the name of which I have forgotten. The summary was that the number of “converts” were reduced by the considerable number of “re-converts” and “evangelism-groupies” who followed their favourite evangelist around the country. In addition, the number of healings diminished when Christian doctors tried to gain information about the previous medical history to prove the “healing”. Without saying it is a con, I think there are just too many temptations surrounding evangelism to avoid “perking up” the supposed effectiveness.

In fact, I would say by experience that the amount of people who come to believe in Christ because of personal contact with other Christians is incomparably higher. When I was in Christian outreach, many came to us, but those who stayed were those who joined through personal contact. In fact, judging by those who stayed, we actually lost members through evangelism. But we also lost members through the conflict between career and devotional life.

The gospel of Christ is essentially a proclamation of life, freedom and hope. People find in the Gospel, in spiritual communities and the diaconal ministries of the church the very intuitions, symbols, and spiritual elements that they search for in their quest for “a better quality of life”, but it is the quiet humble approach that is most effective. People who live in nurturing communities come to experience the power of the Gospel instead of just hearing it – this is especially true of young people – and they also experience the cold wind in their faces from society.

Are you sure? I find many examples of Christians confronted, but fewer where Christians confront others. I find many examples of conversations between few people, and examples of Jesus or the Apostles addressing a number of people, but the number is limited. Large crowds seldom had the success that modest meetings did – in fact, they were downright dangerous.

Isn’t Paul accused of not being the evangelist type, like Apollos, who can speak oh so well? Isn’t Paul boring and slow, and doesn’t his illness or his frailty disturb the Corinthians? He was with them “in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling” but “… if it is right to boast, I will boast the things of my infirmity.” This is because the power is not in words, but in the spirit that didn’t free him from his infirmity, but still he says a second time, “I will not boast on my behalf, except in my weaknesses.”

It is curious, you know. Whenever I speak of introspection with conservative Christians, I almost always hear, “I think over-introspection can be unhealthy”! Who is talking about “over-introspection”? We really do seem to be speaking about “one aspect of Christianity”… “that modern Christians are useless at” and that is why there is so much opposition. It isn’t over-emphasis if we are agreed at the beginning that devotional life is not as it should be.

I feel you are taking Paul’s allegory out of context. He was talking about the eye saying that all others are inferior because they are not eyes. What I am saying is that we lack devotional depth because we fail to introspect, and consequently fail to find our place in the body of Christ, which may be humble, but it is effective. The Bible is continually saying that God chooses that which Mankind overlooks, or that the smallest seed has great potential, or that those who feel insignificant are in reality the blessed – if they would but know it.

We all have to stop playing Christians and start following Christ, accepting our humility in the world but living the life that helps people find completion and deliverance.

Shalom

I agree with you. A deep devotional life is essential. I think many Christians who lack one are simply deluding themselves. I see many who have a kind of vicarious faith, living through the experiences that others have with God, either in films, books, or hearing the pastor on Sunday. They may agree intellectually with the concepts of Christianity but I doubt that they are actually following Christ, the whole point of Christianity. The clearest expression of this is in Christ’s command to “deny yourself, take up your cross and follow”. If you ask modern protestants to explain practically what this has meant for them, you will get some strange looks or an argument rather than a story of a life changed from the inside out. I don’t see much evidence that those who say they are following Christ are actually doing so. And I agree it begins in a devotional life.

I know what you mean. the abortion and gay issues are a smokescreen in some ways. But not completely so. There is biblical justification for these positions and I would not back down from them. But neither are they issue number 1.

I agree. I’ve looked at some the evangelism stats in the US. The current approach makes many converts but few disciples. Still, I think people have one of 2 attitudes on this. You have the fisherman approach where you would use a large net, catch many, and accept that you’re going to lose most of them later (but you still catch some, right). Then, there’s the shepherd approach where every single sheep is valuable and much will be put on the line if it gets lost (low yield, higher quailty). I don’t think either is perfect but both can be used. Maybe it depends on your personality type what method you prefer?

Again I agree. To me one of the saddest aspects of modern Christianity is the confusion of consumerism and evangelism. My church is going through a building campaign right now. I’d guess that if all phases are completed it will cost maybe $5 million give or take. The main reason for spending the money is “evangelism”. Church growth statistics show that churches who invest in new facilities can usually expect to increase numbers by up to 100%. Everyone is excited! However, if you look closer you’ll find that almost all the increase in numbers is due to transfer growth (people from another church who visit the new building and decide they want to join). That’s not evangelism, it’s just consumerism! The size of the kingdom of God did not change but for some reason we spent $5 million shuttling people to a nicer facility and probably contributing to the death of the church down the road. I don’t understand why Christians don’t see the problem with it.

I agree. But I’m not convinced that we should stop the programmed evangelism. Just do both if we can.

Paul’s travels in Acts clearly display a desire to take the gospel to the masses using word and deed. There might be an argument to make that this is only appropriate in cultures where there isn’t already exposure to the gospel message, but I’m not sure about that.

True. But he’s also pretty confrontational and vitriolic in his letters. I don’t get the impression that he was very laid back about his evangelism.

True. But I guess I’m seeing the deep devotional life as a starting point in order to fulfill some useful function whereas you seem to see it as an end in itself. Maybe I’m assuming too much.

Again true. But it depends on what the end-game is. Is finding our place supposed to make the church more effective too? More effective at what?

I agree. But you wont find much agreement on that in most protestant churches. It’s busy, busy, busy doing God’s work…

Hi Ned,

As I have answered in another thread:

It is the step towards the cross,
the surrender of life which makes it eternal,
not the shying away and holding on.
If you give the world significance,
you have bound yourself to it.
If you free yourself by stepping off,
the world becomes insignificant.
The more insignificant the world is,
the more you become free to do the right thing
and you regain your soul.
The secret of life then,
is in those words,
“For whoever may desire to save his life will lose it.
But whoever may lose his life for my sake will find it.”

Shalom

Y’Shua greatness of leadership was displayed in his lack of desire for it, his countenance of humility, his natural action when called for such, and his presence of being from introspection.

No more can any one Sage do, too bad no one gets it.

Bob, as always, you make fine food for thought, thank you.

Hi Mastriani,

Aye, there’s the rub …

Shalom

Hi Bob. I’ve read this thread with interest, and this is the point where I feel I don’t graps anymore what exactly you are talking about. Because of the objections against over-introspection, and your insistance that we suffer from under-introspection, it becomes obvious, suddenly, that no information is given as to what introspection is.
There are a lot of types and levels of introspection. Many of these are narcissistic, some of these philosophical, others emotional, some use the imagination, etc. Introspection does absolutely not, by itself, result in awareness of the Shemesch. One does in fact need to know what one is looking for.
I think we need more teachings to help people identify the radiance of the soul and the soul’s core. Jesus was a teacher of this, but instead of looking for the soul, Christians look for Jesus. It’s very sad, really. All his teachings are in this way in vain, even counterproductive. He taught to make contact with the Father, who can be know through the soul alone.

Introspection and Christianity are often contradictory. People receive a superstitious boost of faith that they are on the right path and go on with their ego’s enhanced. Very few actually radiate the light and love that comes directly from God. Perhaps you do. But perhaps this is not because you’re a Christian, but because your introspection is aimed at your soul, instead of someone elses.

What is the soul? Wherein is the souls core rooted? How does this work, how can one identify one’s own soul-light to integrate it in one’s daily awareness?
I can only speak from experience here; Initially, long hours of meditation are needed every day, even entire days. Much trial and error and following of false Gods, projections of the ego. Eventually, through sustained effort, withstanding the existential fears of dark nights of the soul, will the souls light separate itself fromt he false gods by it’s constancy and, primarily, the increasing sense of innocence we experience in it’s presence. And finally, when one finds oneself laughing through one’s tears like a child comforted by his mother, and only then is the covenant with the Father established.
it will need daily practice to sustain the covenant, as the external, demiurgic forces are great in their power to distract and confuse, but once you know what you’re looking for inside, practice will never be so hard as in the beginning years.

Once the soul is in charge of the intellect, which it will not be without some battle because it’s choices often seem irrational to the ego, fear of that which is alien disappears. I prayed to Allah directly after the white spirit of my soul broke through the red and black rocks of my ego. I am certain Allah is the Father Jesus spoke of. He is unimaginably kind and forgiving, and an unconquerable sustainer of goodness within when walking in the external world. But I reason it makes a fundamental difference whether you are devoted to Him through the medium of a priest, or through the directions of your own soul.

Honest Christianity (Awakening of one’s soul as opposed to the idolatry of Jesus) and Islam are complemenatry. Man needs them both if he ever wants life on Earth to be as it is in Heaven. And I want that.

Hi Loki

Good point! Introspection is a unique type of consciousness in that it is not always present, and is unfortunately not sought either. Like the German theologian, Jörg Zink once wrote (my translation):

Do we have the truth,
particularly about ourselves,
in the way we hold a rock
in our hand?
Or is it not more like
A star that shines in our soul
For a few hours,
Before the light of day
Extinguishes it
And we are left once more
Waiting for it to appear?

If you can understand the dualism of “the knowledge of good and evil” as the polarity that divides our perception of reality, introspection is the search for the “other half”. It arises from acknowledging that we need completion, that we need someone to remove that “beam” from our eye and not just the speck. It is enhanced by the contemplation of scripture and prayer to the sacred Unity of life – our God – and above all by humility.

It is in this communion with God that introspection reaches its goal of cleansing the spirit and healing the soul, making us more able to realise spiritual values, heal the body and cope with the world. Effectively a genesis takes place, a new birth, and a new relationship to God and Unity. It is the process described in Psalm 51:10 “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

I think we can find the sun by other means than introspection :wink: but you are right, not all exercises lead to awareness. However, if we take awareness in Greek to also mean “to see completely”, you can see the connection between Unity, completeness and awareness.

Really it amounts to giving up responsibility, which is something that is widespread. Christ is unique, but his sacrifice opened the door. It wasn’t the end of the line but rather the beginning. There is a tendency to play down the Gospels, except in the holidays, and forget that what he taught his disciples.

Hmmm, I have always regarded myself as a Christian, even if Christians often disown me and Taoists, Muslims and Jews have often identified better with my statements. As you can see, Ned and I agreed on a great deal too. However, I can understand your criticism of Christianity, but must humbly step back and say that I’m not sure that I “radiate the light and love that comes directly from God” as often as I would like to.

I will have to answer the question about the soul later. Duty calls, but I’ll be back.

Shalom

You know, Bob, it was amusing to see a small complaint about how Hollywood’s vision of your Christ only to see you paint a picture of your own…

My thoughts? Cut, print, that’s a wrap.

-Thirst

Hi T4M,

Maybe, but the image I paint with transliterated words have far less influence than the powerful images on screen. Pictures restrict the imagination, words don’t.

Shalom