I'm wondering....

How many of you have read either The DaVinci Code and/or Angels and Demons? And if you have, any thoughts? I’m very curious to know what others think about them. I’m not trying to make a point, just wondering (like I said in the subject…lol).

I read them. They are pretty good.

Warning:

Enochian magick is piss.

Way too Jewish.

Less dangerous and less absurd is:

• the elemental,
  • the druidic,
  • the natural.

I read both, but they are both historical fiction, not fact. Granted, many of Brown’s hypothesis seem logical, who who the hell know, Jesus could have been married, gay, or just poor, or just ugly. The only discussions of what his appearance was is, if memory serves, in Revelations, white hair like sheep’s wool, red eyes, rather like wino.

Who really knows. God’s, if there is a God, great game and human’s gamble.

With regards,

aspacia

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I read both. As thrillers go he writes a good book. If you’re looking for religious history then you should go somewhere else. The errors are numerous and obvious. Plus I think he has a dislike for Christianity in general and Catholicism specifically.

I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code – quite the page-turner with some nice art history mixed in. It actually made me quite interested in Opus Dei. I have more than a few relatives involved with them and wouldn’t mind a cliche (they don’t sell them on ebay nor at good fetish stores) – but ultimately my values and Opus Dei’s are too divergent.

Angels and Demons was unpolished in my mind. It was clearly a prototype for the formula he based Da Vinci Code off of. I enjoyed it nevertheless – especially since I had just returned from Rome so everything was very fresh in my mind.

Clearly both are works of fiction. Books are supposed to be FUN people! I think that the blurring between reality and fiction in the modern world is terrifying. That people read them and think that they are the truth is, well, scary.

I read it again just recently and was less impressed. I think it’s one of those books where the plot line rather than the fiction itself is the best part. Once you know the ending it’s actually pretty boring. But the first time through was a real pageturner.

Ugg. if you want a similar read, check out umberto eco’s “foucault’s pendulum”.

I tried it a few years ago but reading it was too much like work. I needed a dictionary to consult. I’m sure it’s good, but I guess I like to relax too much when reading a novel.

I read the Da Vinci Code by skipping through most of it to get to the “historical” bits, and I simply cannot read Angels & Demons. I just can’t.

Eh.

The point of a page turner is to simply read it, enjoy it, and have done with it.

I imagine re-reading the Da Vinci Code would be about as interesting as re-reading Day of the Jackal or The Borne Idenity – once you know what’s going on, it really isn’t any fun at all.

I enjoyed Name of the Rose, but I haven’t read anything else he’s written. I’m with Ned here, if I’m reading a novel for fun I’m really not looking to think. I want brainless entertainment in my mind, now.

:open_mouth:

I read that book on a grade 9 education and didn’t run into any problems. The majority of philosophy I’ve ever read has been 10X harder to read (thinking and reading is a hard task for me, my mind wander) then eco’s books, and in turn, I have a hard time sitting down and relaxig while reading most of it. Having said that, Foucault’s pendulum took me hostage for a solid week. every ounce of my free time went into that silly book. I LOVED IT. My point, is that I have the reading skill of a child with downsyndrome, and I didn’t find it a difficult read; you should give it another whirl

When you are reading scientific papers all day, the last thing you want to come home to is a book with anything that even resembles a complex vocabulary.

There are definately days where ‘See Jane.’ is about as complex a sentence as I want to see when I get home.

or non-existant!

(read challenging the verdict)

As for Dan Brown? i’ve read better thrillers. Try “The cabinet of curiosities” on for size.

Once again you read my mind.

Ok cool I sort of figured most people would have read them. I did, I thought they were a good read, but yeah only fiction. Thanks for all the replies! Keep 'em coming!

Unfortunately outside of science and theology my reading skill and interest drops below any quantifiable scale. My daughter and I compete to get the funnies from the newspaper and ignore the rest. I fear that your encouragement is lost on me.