What was that about religion being good for society?

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/pdf/2005-11.pdf#search="Gregory%20Paul%20religion%20study%20pdf"

Ohhhh. Where do they establish the causal link, “sort of”? I must have missed that part.

A very broad and blind generalization wouldn’t you say?

First of all, evolutionary science shouldn’t be repudiated by religionist, it should be accepted, what can hurt the truth?

America is a nation made up of idiots. Religion is a fad, another credential to go on someone’s resume. While many claim to be religionist most of them don’t actually live like religionist. We try to mix secularized beliefs with religious doctrines… and that doesn’t seem to mix well does it? People ruin nations. People’s beliefs can ruin nations when acted upon, but that however depends on the religion, so you can’t really toss them all in one sack and call it religion.

Regardless of the above comments, nihilism isn’t very healthly either. I think you’re forgetting that we killed God in the 19th century, and Nietzsche said himself that 1. a universal madness would break out, 2. The 20th century would be the bloodiest century in history… Hmmm more bloodshed in the 20th century than all previous centuries combined.

Sometimes 2 exclusive things really don’t go together, two seperate things that becomed unified usually become war, so possibly this will answer your question. America is trying to stay neutral, and since we can’t stay that way, we will crumble over time as we already seem to be.

But as you may be able to see, secularization is being superimposed into america and american Christians. Soon the idea of God will be gone, not just the respect for him. Then we can all be happy nihilist is there is such a thing.

They show a strong correlation, but nothing on the scale of mass society’s can be definitive.

BTW I never understood why Faust was redeemed in the end, eternal redemption in love? What crap.

Club29 you misuderstand Nietzsche… then again you misunderstand a lot of things.

I misunderstand Nietzsche? No… i don’t believe so, maybe you can explain how what he said actually happened and how that’s been misunderstood.

I misunderstand alot of things? Inform me.

“Surveys” is scientific terminology for “we accept these opinions for this target demographic group of individuals, as matching our preconceived notions of what should be the outcome”.

Garbage, and not empirical.

Please Mast, you are completely misrepresenting how scientists conduct surveys.

Good scientists make sure the questions will force the answer they want in any demographic.

That’s precisely what a survey is… most are fine tuned to get the results that they want.

LMMFAOROTFL … outwitted once again.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

No its not. Nietzsche equated Christianity, and all belief in absolutes with nihilism, not just that the fall out when those absolutes dissolve will turn people into nihilists, but that these beliefs made them nihilists.

Ohh yes EDIT:[removed ad hom] its all one big conspiracy.

Lets not forget what Gibbon largely attributed to the cause of the fall of the Roman empire, and why Churchill held the United States in such high regard. The united states became a super power in a large part due to the power of the constitution. The fact that the states was built on secular ground was a great boon, now that document has been so terribly amended, and a fervent fever of religious fundamentalism is throwing this superpower into a new middle ages. I think the decline of the United States is quite telling,

Rounder,

Just to lay this out as plainly as possible:

You are biased to particular suppositionary stances, just as anyone else. Most at least tend to acknowledge their biases accordingly.

Empirical methodology in this era; due to time, resource, political and other constraints, cannot be viewed with a blind eye based on one’s own personal agenda to “prove something wrong/right”.

There is no ad hom, and certainly no conspiracy. Grow up, and save those sorts of puerile responses for someone in their adolescence.

Surveys of any type, are not to be considered empirical. There is no methodological counter measurement for balancing the results of a survey. As stated by others, they are “targetted” at specific demographic groups, to elicit particular numbers, to suit a particular preconceived notion. It’s a known bad.

Real empiricism is set with controls in place, variables accounted for as best as can be prior to experimentation, and a hypothesis in place, with pronounced definitions, and a general likely conclusion being tested as the outcome.

A survey does not meet any of those criterion, ever.

Even if it did, you still have to deal with “statistics”. You can make the data say ANYTHING you want using varying statistical models. Last year the heritage foundation released their numbers showing that abstinence training was working. It was later found out they, threw out all of the people who “broke” their vows…

LMAO.

The defense rests, your Honor.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I must remind you, that “spirituality” [most often, inner cleansing and self-improvement] – is not “religion”, and “religious” is simply “zealous”.

Zeal = extremism = conflict.

As always, you say: “religion” when you air aiming to expose the toxicity of Christendom & Islam, but you do not say: “semetic perfectionism” because you don’t want to offend the semetic perfectionists; instead, it becomes a useless argument revolving around the pidgeon-holing of all religion.

Rounder - as to Faust - it depends which version you read whether he was redeemed or not. My parents gave me this name, and while I have read most versions (or heard them - I was named after the opera, twice removed by generations of Fausts) I am not responsible for the outcome of any of the stories. (Ad hom expletive omitted).

Correlation?

Yaaaaaaawn.

edit - Decline? Of the US? What decline might that be?