Materialists versus Spirituals

[size=150]Poisonous Confrontations[/size]

I still do not know what can be done to eliminate endless conflicts between materialists and spiritualists. But comments collected at several websites prompted me to compose a short on-line paper at:

pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/theo_sci.html

It can probably be used to initiate an interesting discussion here. Please share this link with those who might be interested.

The first 5 posts are delayed until approved by a moderator to reduce the potential for spam.
These approvals are done manually, so they can take time to take place.

I sent you a PM regarding your post script you continue to add to your posts:

Thank you; I just verified that the signature is correct in my Control Panel.

Totally off-topic, but are you really Ludwik, the nuclear physicist? If so: welcome to ILP, my good sir.

Yes, I am. But suppose I lied. In that case I would not contradict myself, in answering your question. Right? :slight_smile:

Haha, nice.

I’m reading the pages you linked, and I’ll probably post a comment or two, later.

For now, I just wanted to inform you that the two URLs at the end of this page are showing as if they are links (with blue color and underline) but they are not linked:
pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/theo_sci.html

These lines:
[b]http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/comments.html[/b]

Maybe you did so intentionally.
If not, you may want to put the to link.

Ludwik Kowalski, Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University
New Jersey, USA

There is much to cover so I’ll not waste your time.

Ultimate universe reality cannot be grasped by mathematics, logic, or philosophy, only by personal experience in progressive conformity to the divine will of a personal God. Neither science, philosophy, nor theology can validate the personality of God. Only the personal experience of the faith sons of the heavenly Father can effect the actual spiritual realization of the personality of God.

The union of the scientific attitude and the religious insight by the mediation of experiential philosophy is part of our long Paradise-ascension experience. The approximations of mathematics and the certainties of insight will always require the harmonizing function of mind logic on all levels of experience short of the maximum attainment of the Supreme.

In the contemplation of Deity, the concept of personality must be divested of the idea of corporeality. A material body is not indispensable to personality in either man or God. The corporeality error is shown in both extremes of human philosophy. In materialism, since man loses his body at death, he ceases to exist as a personality; in pantheism, since God has no body, he is not, therefore, a person. The superhuman type of progressing personality functions in a union of mind and spirit.

1. Truth, beauty, and goodness—discerning God in mind, matter, and spirit.

“Throughout this glorious age the chief pursuit of the ever-advancing mortals is the quest for a better understanding and a fuller realization of the comprehensible elements of Deity—truth, beauty, and goodness. This represents man’s effort to discern God in mind, matter, and spirit. And as the mortal pursues this quest, he finds himself increasingly absorbed in the experiential study of philosophy, cosmology, and divinity.” (646.3) 56:10.2

1. The achievement of cosmic art.

“Philosophy we somewhat grasp, and divinity we comprehend in worship, social service, and personal spiritual experience, but the pursuit of beauty—cosmology—we all too often limit to the study of our crude artistic endeavors. Beauty, art, is largely a matter of the unification of contrasts. Variety is essential to the concept of beauty. The supreme beauty, the height of finite art, is the drama of the unification of the vastness of the cosmic extremes of Creator and creature. Our finding God and God finding self—the creature becoming perfect as is the Creator—that is the supernal achievement of the supremely beautiful, the attainment of the apex of cosmic art

“Hence materialism, atheism, is the maximation of ugliness, the climax of the finite antithesis of the beautiful. Highest beauty consists in the panorama of the unification of the variations which have been born of pre-existent harmonious reality.” (646.4) 56:10.3

Belief has attained the level of faith when it motivates life and shapes the mode of living. The acceptance of a teaching as true is not faith; that is mere belief. Neither is certainty nor conviction faith. A state of mind attains to faith levels only when it actually dominates the mode of living. Faith is a living attribute of genuine personal religious experience. One believes truth, admires beauty, and reverences goodness, but does not worship them; such an attitude of saving faith is centered on God alone, who is all of these personified and infinitely more.

I am a 16 year student of the Urantia papers so all quotes are found there. urantia.org

Yes indeed; thank you for the interesting post, wbaunda928.

Ludwik Kowalski

Dont wanna be biased here, but I see tons of materialist arguments based on the false comprehension or complete lack of knowledge of basic Platonic concepts.

I think the shit is hilarious because theyve all read Nietzsche on the other hand for sure