Is love the answer to the world's problems? (story)

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Is love the answer to the world's problems? (story)

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Jerkey,

It takes humility, gentleness and kindness to understand the power of love.

Wouldn't those virtues come after the cognitive thinking and discernment it might take to understand the power behind love?
Then there would also be the "awe"!

Other than that, to kill with kindness exposes the selfish forms of human love.

I agree with this. Some forms of so-called love are not grace filled. Something is always expected in return.
Grace comes from gratis - free. With grace, there is no price to be paid.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby One Liner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
One Liner wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:I'd say that the type of love most people exhibit is love for familiar, particular persons, places or things. If these relationships are taken care of, there might be hope for a universal love; but, for now that is an abstraction, which sounds pretty, but remedies nothing.

Love can only be the remedy for our own hearts but love-in-action (grace) has the power to be the remedy for the hearts of others.

Why do you consider love in action to be grace?

When I write, I write for an audience, and myself too, and so in this specific context the specific meaning of grace can be defined as love in action (a type of beauty and elegance of motion).
One Liner
Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 pm

One Liner,

When I write, I write for an audience, and myself too,

I understand that.

and so in this specific context the specific meaning of grace can be defined as love in action (a type of beauty and elegance of motion).

Yes, I can feel that. Like the beauty and elegance of motion in the below...(beauty is in the eyes of the beholder).

grace in motrion.jpg
grace in motrion.jpg (77.52 KiB) Viewed 677 times

Real love in action IS grace - with no price to be paid...given freely.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby One Liner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Or even in this image below.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.17 KiB) Viewed 675 times
One Liner
Thinker

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Doing what comes naturally is grace? To me grace is a type of courage to do what is not natural yet beneficial to another.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:39 pm

One Liner wrote:Or even in this image below.

This is true but I am tempted to ask: Which form of love in our images requires more of a challenge?
although both of them may be given with much grace.
Joseph Joubert ~~

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby One Liner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:41 pm

One Liner wrote:Or even in this image below.

This is true but I am tempted to ask: Which form of love in our images requires more of a challenge?
although both of them may be given with much grace.

Depends on each individual person, but I personally find your image far more easier and less challenging than my image.
One Liner
Thinker

Postby One Liner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Doing what comes naturally is grace? To me grace is a type of courage to do what is not natural yet beneficial to another.

It is extremely hard to determine what is beneficial to another and often we get it wrong and make things worse.
One Liner
Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Depends on each individual person, but I personally find your image far more easier and less challenging than my image.

I'm rather surprised at your answer. Why do you find it to be that way?
Look at the woman. She's a Mom. That is her son. He is all clean and paid for :evilfun: smiling and happy.
How difficult is it to love that baby?

But I may be wrong. Why do you feel that it is easier to love, care for and reach out to that man than for the woman to love her son? at least in that image.
is it from necessity?
Joseph Joubert ~~

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Speak for yourself; I'm perfect! :mrgreen:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby One Liner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:56 pm

I'm rather surprised at your answer. Why do you find it to be that way?
Look at the woman. She's a Mom. That is her son. He is all clean and paid for :evilfun: smiling and happy.
How difficult is it to love that baby?

But I may be wrong. Why do you feel that it is easier to love, care for and reach out to that man than for the woman to love her son? at least in that image.
is it from necessity?

I am not a parent (my wife and I cannot have kids) and am not familiar with that experience (call it fear of the unknown) whereas I am more than familiar with your image and so don't fear that expression.
One Liner
Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:03 pm

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Doing what comes naturally is grace? To me grace is a type of courage to do what is not natural yet beneficial to another.

Doing what comes naturally could be another definition for grace ...or being graceful anyway. I love to dance and I'm a great dancer. It comes naturally to me so at times my dancing might seem to be quite graceful.
But there is graceful in action and there is also grace-filled in action. Is there a difference?

Grace can work as a type of courage under fire especially when one might lose their own life.
Joseph Joubert ~~

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby One Liner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:44 pm

I like to think of graceful and grace as "almost" identical and so I may not be a graceful dancer but if I am an enthusiastic dancer then my enthusiasm is graceful (not the dancing itself).
One Liner
Thinker

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:11 pm

One Liner wrote:I like to think of graceful and grace as "almost" identical and so I may not be a graceful dancer but if I am an enthusiastic dancer then my enthusiasm is graceful (not the dancing itself).

I don't see the two as anywhere near identical. Graceful implies that something can be done with ease and fluidity; grace implies unmerited reception of some gift, which is given without expectation of its return as in There but by the grace of God go I.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:36 pm

Graceful implies that something can be done with ease and fluidity;
It can be done with ease and fluidity because God gave you a gift. You are graceful because you are full of God's grace.

That is the origin of the word 'graceful'.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:27 pm

phyllo wrote:
Graceful implies that something can be done with ease and fluidity;
It can be done with ease and fluidity because God gave you a gift. You are graceful because you are full of God's grace.

That is the origin of the word 'graceful'.

A devout atheist may be a graceful dancer, given the proper skills and training.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 pm

A devout atheist may be a graceful dancer.
So?

Just because an atheist says that there is no God, does not make it so. God's grace also extends to atheists.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:39 pm

phyllo wrote:
A devout atheist may be a graceful dancer.
So?

Just because an atheist says that there is no God, does not make it so. God's grace also extends to atheists.

The atheist will swear that his accomplishments are all his own doing. But, as a theist, I see your point.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:01 pm

As an agnostic, I see my achievements in part from my own genes and DNA, gifts from my ancestors - and also as a result of my very own struggles, motivations and doings (for lack of a better word at the moment.

That's not to say that all of that stardust that descended from wherever was not full of possibility - obviously it was.
Joseph Joubert ~~

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:10 pm

There but by the grace of God go I.

It took two years from the time that God's grace entered the captain of that slave ship and had his spiritual epiphany - you know, the one who wrote Amazing Grace - to eventually stop his slave trading.

I suppose that finances pawn grace. But I know that human consciousness does not always work in leaps and bounds. I suppose that it is also possible that we do not see the gift which has been given so freely...both to ourselves and others.

Do we think that grace is like magic?
Joseph Joubert ~~

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby One Liner » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
One Liner wrote:I like to think of graceful and grace as "almost" identical and so I may not be a graceful dancer but if I am an enthusiastic dancer then my enthusiasm is graceful (not the dancing itself).

I don't see the two as anywhere near identical. Graceful implies that something can be done with ease and fluidity; grace implies unmerited reception of some gift, which is given without expectation of its return as in There but by the grace of God go I.

The grace of God implies a quality of God that is given with ease, fluidity and in an unbiased manner (it is full of grace - graceful in nature).
One Liner
Thinker

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Is it being redundant, then, to say that the grace of God is graceful? Or at least a tautology?-- as in--the taste of a peach is peachy.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby One Liner » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:48 pm

Meaning, the grace of God is effortless and fluid (as in "this" is "that").
One Liner
Thinker

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:59 pm

It took two years from the time that God's grace entered the captain of that slave ship and had his spiritual epiphany - you know, the one who wrote Amazing Grace - to eventually stop his slave trading.

If everything is attributed to God's grace, then people are purely puppets ... they are not responsible for anything that happens.

That's one of the problems with the concept of God's grace ... How much free will does an individual have?
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby One Liner » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:36 pm

phyllo wrote:

If everything is attributed to God's grace, then people are purely puppets ... they are not responsible for anything that happens.

That's one of the problems with the concept of God's grace ... How much free will does an individual have?

Pragmatically, it is about the reduction of non-virtuous pride.
One Liner
Thinker

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality