It's just this

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

It's just this

Postby phyllo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:41 pm

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
forever in the next.
Amen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/1 ... 65139.html

You can even take out God and an afterlife and the meaning remains the same :
Grant me the serenity
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
taking this world
as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that all things will be right
if I surrender ;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Re: It's just this

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:38 am

It works if you work it. Keep coming back.

Is this an AA meeting?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:30 am

Why is denying God such an imperative? Do you deny your parents their parental rights from conception on?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby gib » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:00 am

Isn't this where Christianity and Buddhism meet?
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

It is impossible for a human being to go through life not thinking irrationally even if they think of themselves as rational
Also just as irrational decisions are not always bad then rational ones are not always good no matter what the intention
- surreptitious75

The rating of rationality can be higher and always is higher than the person trying to be rational. Rationality is less emotional than the person delivering it.
- encode_decode

Is that a demon slug in your stomach or are you just happy to see me?
- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:23 am

If you'll walk down a bit of memory lane with me my cherub, Gibbmeallyourluvin..., for those with the chutzpah to cherry pick the most fantabulous aspects of all the belief systems, I offer you, everyone, an improved understanding of everything. PM me for full disclosure :-"
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Why is denying God such an imperative? Do you deny your parents their parental rights from conception on?
:

Perhaps that is the reason right there. Many think of God as a parent and so often because of this we refuse to grow up, to become independent, we lean heavily on that God.

One of my favorite quotes by Paul Tillich: "The courage to be is rooted in the God who appears when God has disappeared in the anxiety of doubt."

That doesn't feel good but perhaps it's one of the best things which can happen to us. The God within, if we experience the Divine, takes a more mature, rational and non-rational place within us causing us to break away from the patriarchal influences of old.
We grow up just as we grow up when we have cut that emotionally-needy umbilical cord from our parents.
Neediness is not love.
Last edited by Arcturus Descending on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby phyllo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:33 pm

The God within, if we experience the Divine, takes a more mature, rational and non-rational place within us causing us to break away from the patriarchal influences of old.
Who or what is that "God within"?
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Yet another example [to me] of a frame of mind that can work to comfort and console you "in your head" as long as you don't bump into others who think the same thing but who have very, very different moral and political and religious agendas regarding the kind of world we need in order to actually facilitate it.

For example, "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...".

In what particular context? Perhaps on your own as an individual you can't change the way something is. But if you organized politically with others you can forge a movement that might actually accomplish those changes.

And to the extent that you recognize the manner in which you construe the parts that trouble you are rooted existentially in a particular subjective point of view, is the extent to which you recognize how, given new experiences, that can change. In other words, you're not locked into one or another rendition of God or Reason.

Your options can increase dramatically. And maybe, if you're lucky, you won't become entangled as I am in the grim reality of conflicting goods.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Uccisore » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:56 am

God grant me the serenity

Huffington Post

Hahahaha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8mPuckq ... ure=vmdshb

http://deepfreeze.it/ Curious about corrupt practices in video game journalism? Look no further.
Uccisore
The Legitimatizer

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:00 pm

phyllo wrote:
The God within, if we experience the Divine, takes a more mature, rational and non-rational place within us causing us to break away from the patriarchal influences of old.

Who or what is that "God within"?

The "real" Self which we come to know though it is a process of exploration, courage, honesty.
Psychic wholeness.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby phyllo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:03 pm

The "real" Self which we come to know though it is a process of exploration, courage, honesty.
The real self is god.

Okay.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:33 pm

phyllo wrote:
The real self is god.

Okay.

I'm not saying that we become gods. I'm not speaking of the God of the Jews and the Christians.
I just meant coming to wholeness in a sense though it's not complete but a moment can feel like eternity. We can experience the divine without thinking that we are gods or God.

When we're able to stop leaning on a god in the "sky", we are able to intuit and experience at some point something which transcends belief and language.
It's very difficult to put into words - perhaps it's like returning to who we were when we were simply star stuff permeating the beginning of existence itself or some other existence.
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Harbal » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:57 pm

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Why is denying God such an imperative? Do you deny your parents their parental rights from conception on?

The existence of parents is not normally considered a matter of controversy.
Harbal
Thinker

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:44 am

Agree with the OP.

There are terrible evils [human-based] in the World that could exterminate the human species, i.e.

1. Secular-based evils
2. God-based evils.

Humanity must address the above two main categories of evils to leave no possibilities the human species could be exterminated. This is why the denying of an illusory God is an [one] imperative.

It is undeniable religions [especially the Abrahamic] are hindrances to the progress of humanity and Islam [by Allah commands] is the one religion that has the possibility of exterminating the human species.

Religions has their pros and cons. The present state and conditions of humanity is such that it is optimal where the pros outweigh the cons. As such religion is a critical necessity for the majority of humans at present but not necessary the future.

To get rid of the critical dangerous cons [extermination of the human species] humanity must find sound fool proof alternatives to replace religions to deal with the unavoidable existential dilemma. The most effective approach to mute the excesses of theistic religion is to deny the existence of God [illusory] as real.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:17 am

What's so difficult about tailoring your own religion?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:28 am

That which is deemed absolute tends to be very
resistant to tailoring by those who think as such
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:31 am

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:What's so difficult about tailoring your own religion?

The present state of theistic religions that posed a threat to the extermination of the human species is this;

1. God exists as real
2. God delivered an immutable holy texts.
3. God promised eternal life to believers.
4. Non-believers are inferior and can be exterminated (re Islam)
5. Even when the human species is exterminated, believers will live forever.

Therefore it follows as long as God is taken to exists as real, there is the possibility of the extermination of the human species on physical Earth.
One may claim most theistic religions are not serious threats to the human species. But the point is their theism lent support to the claim of existence of God as real to the malignant religion of Islam.

But if Premise 1 is false and eliminated, then theism is eliminated and thus defanged without authority and there will be no possibility of the human species be exterminated by any theist[s].

There is still the possibility of the human species be exterminated via the secular mode but that is another topic that must be addressed separately.

One can still tailor one religion that is not along Premises 1 to 5 to suit one's own needs. If this is practiced on a personal and private basis, there is no big issue nor serious threats from it.

The other issues are, even if they are not a theistic religions re P1-5 above, there are always negatives from any organized institutional religions, e.g. organized institutional set-up of Buddhism also has their share of problems with all sorts of evils and scandals. This is not a priority but organized religions of any form must be done away with in the future [not now as pros outweigh their cons].
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Return to Religion and Spirituality