Lady Poverty is THE Enemy

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Lady Poverty is THE Enemy

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:33 am

Who is Lady Poverty?

Today is the Feast Day of St Francis of Assisi ... a substantial legacy whose genesis was an embrace of poverty ... an embrace that lasted barely 20 years. St Francis coined the term Lady Poverty.

Many years ago the thought popped into my mind ... poverty can't hurt you but the fear of poverty can kill you.

Haste is our enemy. It puts us under stress, raises our blood pressure, makes us impatient, renders us more vulnerable to accidents and, most seriously of all, blinds us to the needs of others. Haste is normally not a virtue, irrespective of the goodness of the thing towards which we are hurrying.

Why is haste so prevalent in our lives? Time is money! Money is the antithesis of poverty.

A writer that I know confesses that when she comes to die what she will regret most about her life is not the times she broke a commandment, but the many times she stepped over her own children on her way to her den to write.

My motto these days ... if I need to hurry I'm going the wrong way.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Re: Lady Poverty is THE Enemy

Postby phyllo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:54 am

Many years ago the thought popped into my mind ... poverty can't hurt you but the fear of poverty can kill you.
You can starve to death. You can freeze to death. You can die because you can't get medical treatment. :o
"Who loves not wine, woman and song, remains a fool his whole life long."

"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Re: Lady Poverty is THE Enemy

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 pm

The bought lie about poverty is that there isn't enough of necessities to go around.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Return to Religion and Spirituality