Spirituality: How Long Can You Hold Your Breath?

Spirit = πνεῦμα, in Greek.
It is about breathing…esprit. respiration.

It alludes to the organisms systolic/diastolic sequence - cellular breathing - establishing a median metabolism, which is what is used as a standard to relate to otherness.
Energy/Matter are comparisons to this median.

Patterns of interactivity - also called harmony/disharmony, i.e., experienced as attraction/repulsion.

I just noticed this. I will get back to you.

Knowing of or how, doesn’t mean being able to or can… I breathe in, but the rest is dependent on how my system synthesises that air, so a case of a torpor that cannot be shrugged off or rushed out of, but adjustments made for instead… hence, less oxygen/more rest to allow for the torpor, which only allows for physiological processing at a slower rate, and the consequence of not doing so is like running into a brick wall.

I checked out that guy’s other videos, and some of the stretching ones caught my eye, so definitely having a go at those. Your advice has been very helpful so far, and if… at the very most, I have gained more discipline in being mindful with my respiration, and therefore improving my well-being, then that’s a very positive step forward.

But one day all that stopped, only to have to be restarted all over again… of mind, and body, and soul… and one’s life, painfully-slowly transpiring before one’s eyes, all the while.

The funny side of such a fate, will never be seen… how could it ever! Too dramatic? No! not enough.

One returns to the start, by grounding himself/herself, before he stretches spine straight to the sky, and begins to feel his breathing.
In…out.
One begins with a return to physis.

A hard reset, more like… calling it a return makes it sound like paradise, in comparison to the actual experience, of not being a pleasurable one in the slightest.

A return to anywhere, but that, will be gladly well-received… stretch, breathe, inhale, exhale… I’m trying my best.

I’m breathing! I’m breathing! in…out. (sulk)

No, it is absolutely not. You are horribally mistaken. You are confusing process and means with the ultimale goal. It is not possible for me to get into complete details but i can give you a brief outline.

What is yoga? It means to be one again with the ultimale within hidden reality( the god, consciousness or whatever one wants to name it, though Hinduism calls it Shurti). Now, how one is supposed to do this? The simplest way is to reverse/unfold the process of becoming human(alive). Now. how one becomes alive?

From here thr real Story begins. According to yoga, The Shurti Comes fro diiffernt dimentions and enters into body from 9th zchakra or above, come sdown to 8th one ( Between the eyes), where it meets and mearges with the breath. As soon as it marges with the breath, breathing starts and one bcomes alive. Then the breath moves down upto 2nd chakra (belly, navel or kundilini) and takes shruti along with it and one becomes aware of its body. Here. human is complete, alive and conscious.

In yoga/meditation, this process of becoming a alive human has to be reversed in order to be aware of what is within him besides the body and breath.Thus, the default process of the breath, which is from up to down, should also be reversed to down to up i:e from 2nd chakra to 8th chakra. If it happens, the shutri, whichnis spread throughout the body, starts recollecting itself at the 2nd chakra and then moves upwards wth the help of breath. Amd lastly, it comes out of the body which is an OBE state. This happens with everyone though only once in a life when one dies but a true yogi can do this willingly. that is why meditation is also called willed death in Sufism. But, unlike everyone, a true yogi can enter the body again.

all that happens with the help of the breath, tht is precisly why the brath is given so much importance in yoga, But, neither it is goal not holding breath for long times helps in any way.

with love,
sanjay

I believe you missed my point totally. The above is off tangent re this OP.

I stated above;

1. What I have suggested is very basic. It is basic towards increasing the time one can hold one’s breath for general well-being.

2. There are other considerations to it to improve one’s spiritual well-being.

Re point 1, how can anyone began a spiritual path effectively if one breathing and breathe is not efficient. For example, if the person is already panting from taking three or four steps up a stair, or panting all the time, it is not likely one will be able to focus to meditate.
The normal basic test of the efficiency of one breathing is to determine how long can one hold one’s breath in a normal condition. This is the Control Pause method.
If a person can only hold one’s breath for only 5 or 10 seconds, then one’s breath is not efficient in general and for spiritual well being.
If one is panting for breath all the time, how can one focus on spiritual practices.

In the Buteyko Control Pause method, the length one can hold one’s breath can predict [not scientifically] the kind of disease on has or the weakness of one’s organ. But in the case of Asthma the association with a short-breath is pretty obvious.

The longer one can hold one’s breath, the greater degree of one’s well being in general.
It is also the foundation for one’s spiritual well being and further improvement.

Thus the strategy here is for one to improve one’s ability to hold one’s breath for a longer period to an optimal point.

Re my point 2, there are other considerations to it [breathing] to improve one’s spiritual well-being.
This is reference to the more complicated and complex methods of breathing by yogis and other spiritual practitioners. This is not my focus in this OP.
This OP is merely to increase the time one’s ability to hold one’s breath which is a foundation toward improving one’s spiritual well being.

Btw, earlier you mentioned breathing is merely for meditation on the breath, i.e. counting or focus on the breath. I stated there are far more complex methods and principles, e.g. the one you introduced above [I do not agree with].

Prism,
it loooks to me that you are not interested In knowing further but sticking to only that what you have read somewhere. What i am telling you is not from books but from my own experiencs but You do not have an ear for it. I got it and that is fine to me too.

my best wishes
with love,
sanjay

As I had mentioned I was into Advaita Vedanta for a long time thus I am familiar with the above. I am also familiar with the Chakras, done Kundalini Breathing, Taoist Breathing and the related. Thus it is not only reading but I have had personal experiences as well.
While I have personal experiences I do not agree with the theories of Chakras presented.

You would have your own experiences but if done properly cannot be different from what is propounded by the various yoga gurus.

I am surprised by your jump from:

Zinnat: The only thing where breathing helps is that it provides a rhythmic and perpetual thing for mind to focus upon. nothing else whatsoever.

to

Zinnat: According to yoga, The Shurti Comes fro diiffernt dimentions and enters into body from 9th zchakra or above, come sdown to 8th one ( Between the eyes), where it meets and mearges with the breath. As soon as it marges with the breath, breathing starts and one bcomes alive. Then the breath moves down upto 2nd chakra (belly, navel or kundilini) and takes shruti along with it and one becomes aware of its body. Here. human is complete, alive and conscious.

In any case it is not as simple as the ‘breath’ moving and merges along with the Chakras.
What flows is the prana and pranic energy which is directed by the breath through the various chakras cycles.

If you think what you experienced is totally different from what is presented within the principles of pranayama breathing and their special techniques, you can present why yours is unique in comparison to others.

Since starting, I had become very tired at first, but I think I’m becoming a bit more energised now… I’ll wait somemore and re-gauge progress at a later stage.
I live in one of the most polluted areas in London… even though the Local Council have tried to improve this by turning roundabouts into heavily-paved junction roads with cycle lanes and banning large lorries from entering into residential areas and high-streets, so the pollution is probably a contributing factor to the state of my breathing health… as well as my main contributing factor, of toxins.

General Population -
Enjoy your usual outdoor activities.

Individuals at Risk -
Enjoy your usual outdoor activities.”

Looks like the new, recently-made junction has improved the air quality here… Fantastic!

Ah… well… I can only eat what I can digest, so an Organic Paleo diet… it keeps me well and toxin-free, and so avoids any extra stress on the system: mainly meat seafood and eggs, citrus fruit and pineapple, pumpkin squash courgette and carrots, and some carbs from plantain… but I’ve gone off starches lately… and that is all I eat/all I can eat… alongside having a morning coffee, and some water throughout the day.

All these ready meals and processed offerings are riddled with additives, and the U.K. government even recommended limiting such foods to only a few times a week, broadcasted out on the BBC. They have been proven to cause fatigue and long-term illnesses, and only a fool would pay good money to get sick.

So zero water consumption, or limiting water to drinking only when thirsty? What are the benefits of it, for you… or for anyone?

:laughing:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyut3GyQtn0[/youtube]

In most cases of improvements there is a fall back before progress is made.
What is important is one understands the model and its eventual outcome of improvements that follows.

It is possible heavy traffic can contribute negatively to one’s health, thus one will have to find ways to avoid or minimize the negative impact.

What is critical with improving one’s basis breathing and breathe status is to ensure there are sufficient oxygen intake to maintain the whole body system so that it can function at least at the basic optimal levels.

I am also on a partly paleo and keto diet.

Two main benefits of water-fasting are;

1. Ketosis - i.e. the burning of excess fats, visceral, etc.
  2. Autophagy - the recycling and renewal of worn-out or dying cell.

Water fasting means one drinks [water only] with at least 2-3 liters of water a day, sufficient to clean off whatever waste is churned in the recycling and renewal process.
Zero water for a long period per day is ‘Dry Fasting’ - not for me at present.

In a 5 day water fasting, one can lose at least a net-loss of 10 pounds via ketosis, i.e. the burning of unwanted bad fats especially those deposited in the organs, like liver [fatty liver] and other organs.
If followed up with a paleo or keto-diet, one will be able to maintain that net-loss.

In a water fast, the body system will not have food to process thus can concentrate on autophagy.
In autophagy, the body system will seek out weak, damaged cells to remove or improved upon. Autophagy will even get rid of cancel cells and promote growth of stem cells.

There many other benefits of water fasting. [Google it].

Progress has finally been made…

Yesterday was the most taxing day on me so far, but today my energy levels have picked back up, so I seem to have pushed through to a better-optimised state, after weeks of struggling through my days, and improvements have now become apparent.

If truth be told… I was going to give up on it all and revert back to my previous state… not that I’d have known how, but I’d have found a way in my state of desperation.

I’m mainly concerned with 2. Autophagy, as that has been the main issue for me in recent years, as my turnover of cellular regeneration had been minimal, at best.

I have seen a vast improvement in this in the last two weeks, which was a real energy-drainer… to say the least, but I’ve noticed that natural epidermal-exfoliation and almost-normal digestion have kicked back in.

I shall see what transpires in another week on further autophagy progress…

It is nice to hear of improvements to one’s well being.

It is unlikely one will achieve “efficient” autophagy without some sort of fasting.

If one do a 3-5 days water fast, there is a certainty of autophagy.
Point is the body must stop processing food intake [carbs, proteins, fiber, etc.] so that it can concentrate its effort on cell repairs and get rid of damaged cells.

However one can achieve autophagy to some extent via intermittent fasting for more that 12 hours and preferably 16 hours, i.e. fast 16 hours and eat within 6 hours.
The strategy people take is to increase one’s normal fast of 8 hour while asleep progressively to 10 hours, 12 hours and thus to 16 hours.

Not sure if you are trying out the 15 cycles of breathing I suggested earlier.
If so, you can increase the cycles to 30 cycles which will facilitate to increase greater breath retention which will improve oxygen intake and utility.

This is the best and most workable option for me, and I do go for extended hours without any intake, but only a few times a month… so a balancing act of fuelling up, starving down (which I can’t afford to do too often), and trying not to become malnourished.

Well… not yet, as just doing deeper breathing is a chore in itself, so once that becomes more constant and automatic, I’ll look into adding the exercises.

…and, for my next trick, I’ll mostly be building up my capacity for cardio… it’s going well so far. :smiley:

Cool…

Here is one benefit of deliberate systematic breathing;

How to lower blood pressure in 5 MINUTES
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lwYseaL4m8[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KueabH8B8M[/youtube]

I believe if one’s blood pressure is chronic, then one’s well being or spirituality will be compromised.

Efficient breathing is one advantage over recovering from Covid19.

Those who appreciate the efficient breathing techniques I proposed in this thread and has done it, would have a greater chance of surviving Covid19.

Working on my nervous system and oxygen uptake was the wisest thing I’ve done, thus far… I just knew, that with all consumerables and injectables becoming more and more toxic with each passing year, that I had to force those cylinders to fire up much more fully.

I would say to start off gently at first though, so as not to shock the system and so not slow progress down.