Banning And Temporary Bans

I just was temporarily banned by that great wise neo conservative Uccisore who is eternally within infamy of the likes of Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, and Rush Limbaugh.

With great American figures like that his name lives in infamy concerning greater American conservatism forever within the Internet history books.

One can only admire this great internet figure that goes by the name of Uccisore that brandishes an antique Americana neo conservative.

Anywho, I’d like to have a link to forum guidelines being that the moderators here are so keen to antagonize ILP’s members here with them that way when they get out of line which often enough they do I also can have a reference to slam people with. That’s right moderators, I’m watching you for now on and I’ll have the gospel that is ILP’s forum guidelines to officially persecute you with. Rules are rules after all…

I’m watching all of you. You better stay on your toes and not commit an infraction of any kind. :sunglasses:

Yes, so if somebody can link the forum guidelines in this thread I’ll appreciate that.

Yes, that’s rule number one. I want the entire list. Link please.

That’s the one that got you banned. It only applies to the SGE forms where Ucc is mod.

It’s not hard to know the rules. They are listed at the top of each forum.

I’m not interested in finding each one for you. But, I do suggest you seek them out. They are the second thing I read when I got here. Each forum is run by a different person and each likes their forum in their own way. So far, they seem to be run by the right people in each case.

Ah, so that’s where they’re hiding. Well, now I know.

I look forward in condemning moderators of their own created rules. Thanks.

Rules are for fools. However I like condemning priests with their own created list of condemnations. It’s great sport watching a priest dethroned off of their own pontiff.

It never hurts to help!

It rhymes, therefore it must be true! :laughing:

I dont agree with permabans of anybody.

No high-minded ethics would support holding someone guilty or strait-jacketed in a label for the rest of their lives.

Permaban culture is a commentary on human nature and what is most valuable facet of being human, which is the innocence of one’s nature.

I think permabans should be permabanned :mrgreen:

Cassie, in nearly all cases I agree. But in practice, we’ve found that it doesn’t always work out. I want to believe in the goodness of others and the infinite ability to change, but the practicalities of running a website don’t allow for that. Some people will come back forever and degrade the conversation every time.

And it should be noted that a ‘perma’ ban is not really permanent. It is permanent as to a username, but this is the internet, and no one knows you’re a dog once you stop talking about bones. That is to say, if a person were permabanned, reformed, and came back under a different user name, we wouldn’t know. And if they engaged civilly, over a long period of time, we wouldn’t care even if we found out. We’re not interested in punishing people, we’re interested in allowing for at least some robust philosophical discussion. We ban people to the extent necessary to allow that to happen, and sometimes a permaban is the only way to do so.

And yet somebody came here under a different username and got permabanned anyways.

Why is that?

Reformed how exactly?

Because starting a new account to circumvent a ban creates a strong presumption that the person is going to continue disrupting discussion.

One great indicator of reform is that a moderator can’t tell that a person is who they say they are. Mods aren’t checking every IP address of a new member, in order to be discovered, a person has to draw attention to him or herself. Generally, that means continuing to be abusive, disruptive, antisocial, etc. A person who earned a permaban came back and engaged civilly and in good faith would almost certainly not be discovered. Technically, they are violating board rules, so they might be banned anyway; obviously, a permaban is meant to be longer than any of the temporary bans, so someone who’s discovered to have returned within a couple days after a permaban will probably be banned if discovered. But six months later, returning and participating civilly will probably go unnoticed, and if it is noticed it is unlikely to warrant an instant ban.

I can’t say whether this happens in practice: people who are permabanned and returned are either discovered because they’re continuing the mode of participation that got them permabanned in the first place, or they simply go unnoticed. I don’t know of a case where someone has been permabanned, been absent for a significant period, returned and been a model user, and nonetheless been discovered as a formerly permabanned user. My guess is that there haven’t been any that have so reformed, but it is possible that someone has reformed well enough to go unnoticed.

I think the old goat should be allowed to post here.

His latest postings under the username Hesperus were not that disrupting at all where the ban was severely unwarranted.

Carleas, change is one aspect of it, yes. But how is it determined who needs change and what kind of change is necessary?

When I spoke of innocence of a certain nature, I did not mean it in the sense of “goodness” only, but also acknowledging the sanctity of a nature being designed the way it is and needing no “reformation”.

Where do you separate domestication and enforcing docility from decorum?

A decorum must make it possible for the widest possible views if philosophy and exploration is the goal of a forum.

Doesn’t the concept of change and reformation and improvement smell of all those communist ideals which we have had years to learn from?
Truth is in that proverb - that try and throw nature out with a pitchfork and back it returns.
Nature is beyond good and evil.

Yea, that sounds good. In the ancient polis a human being was recognized as a full one, only when he engaged and spoke his mind freely and fully amidst the whole public. Aristotle’s man as the political animal.

On the other hand, I have to agree with Durden though. The reason some of the mods gave, as recent as I have been here, is “this member is banned *because he/she already is a permaban”. That can’t be valid then.

I’ll come to Carleas’ defence and say that, from what I’ve seen, no moderator has ever banned a member just because they were suspected of being someone’s sockpuppet, even though the member did not break the rules.

I think any moderator reading this knows in his heart that this is the truth.

No, that’s not a fact. The recent bans were attributed for no reason other than simply being permabans, and carleas says that is not the case.

Permabanning has no credible philosophical ethics to it.

Atleast I haven’t read a convincing one, philosophically anyway.

You are mistaken.

Carleas says it is so, and the moderators know it is so.
Their motives are pure.

They have never banned someone when they discovered his true identity, and Jesus was raised from the dead.

I’m afraid you are very misinformed. Even Laughing Man would agree with what happened here.

In the recent ban, there was not even any hiding but even after declaring identity, a user was banned for no other reason than already being a permaban.

I dont know what kind of secular humanist you are, but one cannot at the same time profess to believe in the innate goodness of human nature and then also say nature needs reform to conform. That sounds at the least very pre judiced.

Well as long as you’re not convinced then it must not be the case.

What are you like a master logician?

“credible philosophical ethics”?

Give me a break. Go read the posts for which the guy got banned.

You can’t make a fake name, and in your first 25 posts call me shit smears and call magsj brown cow and then play innocent.

Get your facts straight you look ignorant on this topic.

Here’s his posts from the last time he snuck in. He likes to sit by himself or with a few friends who agree with him, and occasionally he just can’t help it because he’s so lonely that he has to make a fake name and sneak in here and do this…

search.php?author_id=41026&sr=posts

How can you respect such a person? Read what he writes there.

I mean the guy had 25 posts and managed to insult people in at least half of them. Yet, you guys are like, “the onlyyyyy reason he got banned was because he was a sockpuppet”.

You’re on his dick so hard right now that it’s laughable. Coming in making these false declarations when the facts are there for everyone to see.

Stop humiliating yourselves. Cut the cord. Be your own person and for god’s sake don’t get the false impression that you’re getting any smarter by going on and on about the things he does.

The facts are only half-presented - that’s only his side which makes him look like he was the troll; there’s no link to his earlier username Observer where he was having philosophical discussion with you actually - something about absurd claims in philosophy and then banned after you told the mod. because you couldn’t engage with the points, and then Observer was banned simply because he was already a perma-ban which Carleas denies happening here to his knowledge, and so I suppose he had something to say on that as Hesperus.

Anyway, is this about him, or is he only an example?
It just happens he’s the only one that happened here since I’ve been on.

This is not about any individual, atleast for me, but about the culture and ethics of permabanning itself, and I spoke about this same thing to you too.

You come in here individualizing things and then sermon me on cutting the cord. Now is the emotional cord wound tightly around you to him, or is it me?