Chatbox request resurfaces

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Chatbox request resurfaces

Postby WendyDarling » Sun May 28, 2017 9:00 pm

So Carleas,

Are you and the servers up to speed so the addition of a chatbox can become an option...and soon? [-o< So many selfies and no place to go. :evilfun:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Re: Chatbox request resurfaces

Postby iambiguous » Sun May 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Chatbox? I don't know. Isn't ILP already becoming just one more social media outlet?

Maybe what we need is less chat and more discussion.

Unless of course I'm wrong. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Amorphos » Sun May 28, 2017 10:35 pm

A world full of options is better. As long as a chatbox isn’t interfering in everyday posting, it may actually get people thinking about new topics and what have you.
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
Amorphos
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Mon May 29, 2017 12:22 am

iambiguous wrote:Chatbox? I don't know. Isn't ILP already becoming just one more social media outlet?

Maybe what we need is less chat and more discussion.

Unless of course I'm wrong. :wink:

I don't have any social media accounts, so I wouldn't know. I agree with Amorphos that fresh material is needed. :wink:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby iambiguous » Mon May 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Perhaps in a perfect world we could have philosophical discussions in the chatbox.

And then leave Twitter for everything else. :-k
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:41 am

Off the cuff discussions are very revealing and folks will have very little wiggle room to jette their cause no matter how misguided. Lies of the word salad variety will be thwarted quickly.

Well, Carleas? Did you foe me? :evilfun: :lol:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:16 am

As an old person, I have no idea what Chatbox is....
anybody care to explain? and how does it relate to ILP?

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"

The RNC has announced that's its changing the Republican emblem from
an elephant to an condom because it more clearly reflects the party's political
stance: a condom stands for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation,
protects a bunch of pricks, and gives one a sense of security while screwing others.

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:22 am

A chatbox is similar to a chatroom without the need to enter a different page/site. The chatbox would typically appear at the bottom of the main index page and be available to members only who could join the real time discussion at their leisure.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Carleas » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:33 pm

This is a very low priority.

Would a chatbox encourage more and better discussion of philosophy? What reason and evidence suggest that? Its effect on discussion seems as likely to be negative, setting a tone of brevity and snark instead of thoughtfulness and nuance. To me it seems more like bloat: at best a small value-add, at significant cost in terms of time and energy to implement and maintain.

I'm willing to be convinced (perhaps there's research on what a chatbox does to a web community?), but I am not yet convinced that adding a chatbox is worthwhile, let alone a priority.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Magnus Anderson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:As an old person, I have no idea what Chatbox is....
anybody care to explain? and how does it relate to ILP?

Kropotkin

Basically, instantaneous messaging (or real-time conversation) over an Internet page. New messages appear without having to refresh the page. This gives you the incentive to think less, write short and post fast. Very very very stupid thing. Especially in the context of a philosophy forum.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:57 am

Carleas
wrote:
This is a very low priority.

Indeed. If one at all.
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:49 pm

No chatbox love here, I tell ya. Geesh!

Chatboxes provide instantaneous interaction which would require more concise replies from participants to maintain flow. It helps shy, lonely, and gregarious folks express themselves and form lasting friendships without any monster performance pressure and it is easy to join and leave a discussion. I'm gonna return with testimonials darn it.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Only_Humean » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 pm

What sort of philosophy benefits more from instantaneous interaction than a careful reading and time to consider one's response?

Chocolate's great, I like chocolate. I don't see any need for ILP to provide it, though. The world is full of instant messaging systems - do we need another? You could join the ILP facebook page and message people through that messaging system, for instance :)

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:07 pm

If philosophy has more to do with chocolate than communication, then it should be made available so flavored philosophy could occur, at least that would be original.

I thought that in ancient times philosopher's gathered for symposiums which included instantaneous communications, even debates, among practitioners.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Return to Meta