What is Philosophy's Opposite?

Ok, all the replies are interesting. What I’m getting at is that philosophy, at base, is an action, a three fold engagement with the world - we read, we observe/think, we write/speak (i’m not getting into that shit here!). Now, I usually try hard not to think in dualistic terms, but occasionally I slip and have an interesting accident. I think philosophy, calm and reasoned inquiry and/or discourse, is opposed by violence. You can get into A dialogue With your enemy and arrive At some contract or you can pick up your 30-30 go over to house and blow holes in him and his kids. “Negotiate that!”

this other remains in philosophy still, I think. I am curious as to how this other may effect the doing of philosophy. The last Metaphysics class I took as an undergrad covered three philosophers - Aristotle, Heidegger, and Richard Rorty. I was looking at the texts while standing in line at the University bookstore and I burst out laughing. Unintentionally, our fine Professor had chosen philosophers from the War Machines. Aristotle was the tutor of Alexander, Heidegger cozied up to the Nazi Machine, and Rorty, no matter how much Of a hippy he may be, writes from the comfortable busom of the nuclear armed US. In fact, I don't think it is possible to do philosophy without the spectre of war and empire covering parts of the writing in shadow.

ooh now there’s an interesting answer. it does seem like you need to live in a fairly rich and powerful country/state before you can go off relaxin’ and philosophizin’.

Not true… Tibetan philosophy?

aristotle, rorty, and heidegger are all considered “western” philosophers. i guess it doesn’t hold for that mysterious “eastern” realm they never taught me about at school. but even still …i’ll confidently assert that you can’t be starving and philosophizing at the same time. am i wrong? hit me with details.

Christianity

?? Bill I don’t understand. which question are you answering?

also, Tibetan Philosophy is not philosophy, per se. It is theology. Secondly, I am tired of the idea that because the Richard Gere and the Beastie Boys say that Tibetans are peaceful, they are so. Do you know what the Tibetan national pastime was from 1200 to 1910? They rode down out of the mountains and burned down Chinese towns in Sichuan and various neighboring provinces.It’s tit for tat. I don’t support Mao’s legacy of hairbrained schemes (like the Three Gorges dam or Southern Waters North!!!) but I understand their hatred for Tibet.

Ok, ok, so maybe the analogies were too much, but hey, its no reason to get angry.

But I was talking to stefan, and he did say that “philosophy is a very vague and ambiguous word” so it wouldve been nice if hermes had done what I said earlier (maybe you somehow knew what he meant, well, oops, I didn’t, somebody ing kill me)

I think the opposite of truth is opinion. I say thats the opposite of Philosophy.

The opposite could be retoric, to sort of agree what Frighter said. Is was once a competeing school in athens.

In short, kill the English majors!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah… the Sophists are the Communication majors… they all know it too, none of em can look a Philosophy major in the eye. Heh

The opposite to philosophy is what you see on ilovephilosophy.com

fundamentalism…

Its just to bad we don’t have post voteing!!!

Magisterludi is like this fat girl I used to know in high school. All of us would go to parties, get fucked up and commence with the wild shenannigans. This bitch would nurse a fucking vodka and cranberry with an eye-drop full of vodka all night and watch us, remembering what happened. On Monday, she Would gossip and make fun of everybody drunk. Yet, She still used to go to the parties.

So, who’s more pathetic - the drinkers or the fat bitch sitting on the sidelines with 17 posts?

The drinkers, because they knew what she was doing and kept inviting her anyway. :laughing:

for the record, I kept telling people not to let her come as she was a spy in the house of gettin’ crunk

holy shit H3M thats funny …she’s just sittin there pretending to partake, being all critical and negative and judgmental IN HER MIND. i hate that fat bitch…there’s always one of em wherever you go.

1st) why is this kid here?

2nd) why hasnt anyone ripped him apart or atleast told him to shut up?

hes retarded. he contributes nothing to this board. plus he spammed the shit out of everything with useless remarks to boost his sad little ego. i bet he feels really daring now too. i dont want him to. i want him to feel depressed and do a stabby stab in his eye.

Cba it’s been Done
ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … p?t=140260

You cutie pie monkey,
Philosophy’s opposite is ignorance because philosophy is a genuine thirst for knowledge to arrive at some truth. The dictionary meaning of philosophy being love of wisdom is wrong because you cannot pursue wisdom, it dawns upon you, and many of the rest of the definitions I think are wrong too. Doesn’t a philosopher give the impression that he/she KNOWS, well then their opposite would be ignorant.