What is Philosophy's Opposite?

The opposite to philosophy is what you see on ilovephilosophy.com

fundamentalism…

Its just to bad we don’t have post voteing!!!

Magisterludi is like this fat girl I used to know in high school. All of us would go to parties, get fucked up and commence with the wild shenannigans. This bitch would nurse a fucking vodka and cranberry with an eye-drop full of vodka all night and watch us, remembering what happened. On Monday, she Would gossip and make fun of everybody drunk. Yet, She still used to go to the parties.

So, who’s more pathetic - the drinkers or the fat bitch sitting on the sidelines with 17 posts?

The drinkers, because they knew what she was doing and kept inviting her anyway. :laughing:

for the record, I kept telling people not to let her come as she was a spy in the house of gettin’ crunk

holy shit H3M thats funny …she’s just sittin there pretending to partake, being all critical and negative and judgmental IN HER MIND. i hate that fat bitch…there’s always one of em wherever you go.

1st) why is this kid here?

2nd) why hasnt anyone ripped him apart or atleast told him to shut up?

hes retarded. he contributes nothing to this board. plus he spammed the shit out of everything with useless remarks to boost his sad little ego. i bet he feels really daring now too. i dont want him to. i want him to feel depressed and do a stabby stab in his eye.

Cba it’s been Done
ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … p?t=140260

You cutie pie monkey,
Philosophy’s opposite is ignorance because philosophy is a genuine thirst for knowledge to arrive at some truth. The dictionary meaning of philosophy being love of wisdom is wrong because you cannot pursue wisdom, it dawns upon you, and many of the rest of the definitions I think are wrong too. Doesn’t a philosopher give the impression that he/she KNOWS, well then their opposite would be ignorant.

thanks beena. I don’t give a fuck

That’s ok too hermes!

I’d have to disagree. You post here, and because you have the impression that you know something, that means this a veritable philosophy forum. Thank you for instilling legitimacy to this site.

All facetiousness aside, would you mind beginning a thread on a topic, idea, question or “thing” (I don’t wish to inhibit you with labels), that you feel would promote actual philosophizing, and not philosophology (as you’ve previously deemed it)?

Honestly, I’d like to know how you think one correctly tackles the endeavor of philosophy.

explain yourself; one word doesn’t make your opinion clear enough. Think about philosopher’s huge essays just to try to explain/prove a relatively tiny problem.

See that’s the problem with Whitelotus: he’s a coward and won’t actually put himself out there. He hasn’t created a post, to my knowledge and I’d be surprised if he ever does - please check my “fat bitch at the party” metaphor previously in the thread. It’s far easier to sit on the side and criticize the players, but when the guys toss a ball over and say c’mon we need an extra guy, quite conveniently, his knee hurts or he sprained his wrist.

See this is the problem and the division of things - those of us who brawl and drink and are filled with life and those poor souls who are dead and have turned their death into wisdom. I’m not even trying to paraphrase Nietzsche, I saw it all the time in college - the division in philosophy departments, honors societies, english departments, whatever departments between those students (and Professors) who loved a good time, a good argument, hearty social interaction, good food (like Rabelais, actually Pantagruel) and those students who sat in their rooms, looked at their shoes and grey clothes as they walked to class, had only venom to spit during class discussions, and weren’t involved in the world around them, in fact loathed and disdained the silly monkeys, the lowly flesh bags, around them. I do not understand the little poison grey students

fundamentalists don’t searcxh for truth. they believe they possess “the” truth… philosophy is the opposite of how they get truth.

Philosophy is the collective word for the questioning of reality (organized into metaphysics, epistemology, ethics…) and the attempting to answer the questions. The opposite of philosophy would be satisfaction with ignorance, neither desiring to question nor caring to answer.

Kory

Philosophy in my view is the collection of reasons which one gives for one’s observations. Whether it is an mystic or a physicist who studies the material world, the colossal nature of the universe forces upon them definitions which they find to be a way of life, an understanding which defines several other thoughts of theirs.

I personally find the concept of an opposite of Philosophy difficult to understand, since Philosophy is all ideas and interpretations at best and some of these interpretations are antithetic to others. So Philosophical opposites are at best restricted to one type of philosophy.

Hmm, thats interesting. I’m not sure I’d call Physics or Mysticism real Philosophy. They both seem too rescritive.

To put it simply, if I went to a Philosophy class and they started teaching me Physics or Mysticism, first I’d laugh and ask for the real stuff, then I would get angry and leave. I think any of my class mates, exept the clueless firstyears, would join me. Philosophy may be hard to define, but their is some agreement to what is and what isn’t. And both of those just isn’t.