How the Debate Forum Works

Welcome to the Chamber of Debate! This forum is designed to be more formal the the other forums. It has more structure, and is more strictly controlled. Here’s how it works:

Anyone can read the debates in the Chamber, but only those participating in a debate can post there. Before the debate begins, the rules for the debate are agreed upon (number of posts, time intervals, judges, etc.), and these will be posted in the initial post of the debate.

A parallel thread will be created in the Discussion forum, where other users can comment on it. Once the debate is completed, a poll will be added to the Discussion thread to get the popular verdict. The Debate thread will be locked after the judges ruling is presented (if judges were involved; otherwise, it will be locked after the final debate post).

If you’d like to start your own debate, you will need to organize a challenger, and select judges if you’d like to use them. Once everyone has agreed, PM the moderator with your complete rule set, and they will set it up.

Just to be clear, anyone who wants to debate can debate! The extra control isn’t designed to make the forum exclusive, just to make debates a little more. . . debate-like.

So, have at it!

EDITED: revised 5/29, see below.
EDITED: revised 12/7/2015 for readability
EDITED: revised October 3, 2016 to remove reference to “rules”, because people don’t like rules as much as they like explanations.

So the rules are mostly user-orientated?

Is there a definitive format for debate threads?

If not, then one should be discussed and widely-agreed upon as soon as it’s possible.

Also, I think there should be “discussion” threads not just for “previous” threads, but for current ones as well. For example, as two people are debating, I feel that I want to contribute in the background if I can with other posters who are spectating.

I left the rules open because I don’t want it to be too restrictive. I think the first debate is a good template for future debates, but I want to leave the option out there for debate formats I couldn’t foresee.
And I left the discussion forum reply-only so that debates wouldn’t be spoiled by outside input. Besides, if you’re really itching to discuss the topic of a debate, you’re welcome to take it up in the forum it belongs in. The discussion section here is more to respond to the debate, less so to respond to the topic. I’ll leave it as it is for now, but if it becomes apparent that this was a mistake in the future, I’m willing to revise it. Give it some time.

I changed the rules to reflect the change in policy regarding debate discussions. It seems the people want to discuss debates, so we’ll be creating discussion threads along with debate threads. My bad, RU. My bad, everyone.

Is it one debate at a time?

Yes. The debates are pretty labor intensive for staff, so we’re limiting it to one at a time. But, like any good policy, that may change as the forum matures.