Poetry Slam

Everything sounds great.

I mean, I think that the 90’s brought us some really good music, but for every excellent mainstream band, three bands were crap. It is for that reason that I find it difficult to categorically defend any decade. The same goes for musical genres, except I am sure there is some garbage when it comes to non-gangster rap as well as there are certainly some excellent bands.

The question is, what is in radical opposition to rap? The first answer that comes to mind is country, which I also can’t stand, so I will defend the second answer that comes to mind, classic rock.

Rainey has declined to Judge as he simply has a lot of real-world stuff to do.

It is with great pleasure that I announce Oughtist as my second Judge.

Do you have any inkling as to who your three are, Carleas?

By fag i meant what eminem means. not necessarily a gay person…just a feminized overly sensitive person. I think I’m right about it, too. Most poets are fags.

Do I get a gavel? I want a gavel!

xzc, Mr. Shambles, will you be judges? xzc, because he defended his actions by reference to Eminem, a sure sign of good judgement. And Shambles because he knows as much about poetry as me, and he’s new so I know he’ll be fair.

Yes, I would also like to see XZC and Mr. Shambles as judges, that would still leave one more assuming the two of them agree.

I wouldn’t mind judging a poetry off/slam , but i think you guys should decide basic criteria to strive for which can be taken into account by the judges.

Critiquing poetry isn’t very celebrated, it can be like weighing apples against oranges… I have never had a hard time expressing my taste in the past though, and i think the results here will be interesting…

Twill be done to a turn I reckon’.

If Carleas reciprocates, I would like to have you as a judge.

Basically, I don’t think that there are going to be too many structural flaws in this poetry Debate between myself and Carleas. Essentially, I think that it may be judged as any Debate would be. I think that the whole poetry thing just makes for challenging formatting.

Pending confirmation here from Carleas, everything looks good.

But for heavens sake outline the debate formally!

I’m sure that Carleas will tend to that in the actual Debate thread, or in this thread. As this Debate was at the suggestion of Carleas, I am hesitant to attempt a formal outline without first consulting with Carleas.

I would like to reiterate that I’m not certain how qualified I am to judge this, but like Wonderer said if there are some basic criteria to go by I’d be happy to do my best to help out.

So, I humbly accept (just don’t judge my judgment too harshly!)

xzc declined to judge this overly sensitive spectacle, so we’re at four judges. Is that enough?

I think that the judgement of this debate will be somewhat subjective. The structure of the poems should be a consideration, as should the poem-ness and the argument-ness of the posts. Other than that, vote for what you like, and explain it as well as you can. Nothing more formal I can offer, I’m afraid.

Oh gosh…

might need to find a fifth in the case of tie breakers. There’s bound to be ties on at least one of the rounds (unless one of you offers up some crushingly overwhelmingly kick-ass lyricism).

Let’s leave the tie to popular vote. If it’s subjective anyway, popular taste is a good decider. If someone kicks ass, then the judges will indicate that. If it’s close, the majority will break the tie.

I agree to those terms.

Sorry I wasn’t here yesterday, kid was in the hospital but he’s (mostly) better now.

Topic:
Which type of music is best, with Pav defending Classic Rock and me defending Rap.

Rounds:
1.) Verse
2.) Haiku (5 7-9-7 Haikus)
3.) Freestyle Poetry

72 hours to respond (will probably go faster, but just in case)

Judges:
Amor Fati
Oughtist
Mr. Shambles
Wonderer
(A tie will be broken by public opinion)

Sound good? We can start tonight. Amor Fati, did you flip a coin?

carl will be heads

pav tails

got a shiny new quarter in hand, which i’ll flip…

heads: carl goes to bat first

knock knock

anyone there?

wha happen?

I posted today, check out the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=167744