The Native American Ten Commandments

I know little about the heritage or practices of any indian tribe. It was my assumption someone who is of indian decent had made this presentation. Some tribes in North America have a spiritual background of one form or another which is why it caught my interest. Originally, I had found this video at another site, but it had no affiliations with YouTube, so I looked for it there.

If the video was created by other than someone of a tribe, I seen nothing outwardly offensive in it’s nature. I have no vested interest in perpetuating or creating ill feelings with any culture in any form. There must have been times when indian peoples enjoyed peace and joy of their lands…this is where I saw the beauty of this video.

Liteninbolt… You are right to assume that this video was created by someone of Native decent, but my assumption would be that it is made by someone who has recently discovered a part of their blood line. Someone who has tryed to learn about where they come from, we all do it at some point I assume.

I assume that most Natives would not find this offensive, It portrayed the Natives beautifully, and that is how most Natives saw themselves before the “coming of the white man”.

Unfortuantly a modern video would not be as flattering.

Like all cultures the Natives also have their commandments, Same meaning, different words. They also have a story simular to the story of Moses, different people.

Like Imp said, it would be wrong to blanket all under the same belief, just like the Commandments of Moses, we all know about it, but we all do not follow it.

It is all about respect and disciple, be good people, live a good life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM[/youtube]

Cultural appropriation.

iron eyes cody had no indian blood

snopes.com/movies/actors/ironeyes.asp

bunch of fucking environmentalist propagandist liars

-Imp

You know this could all be resolved by finding a certified historian specializing in the Indian nations. I bet one could be found by googling. I grew up in Arizona, I went to school with kids from different Indian nations, guess what??? They were no different then the rest of us. Dressed like us , talked like us, liked and disliked the same things, had pain in the butt parents, watched the same TV shows etc , etc, etc,. Some spent part of thier lives on the Reservations, some did not.
other than skin color they were your average everyday kids and they grew up to be average everyday people. some were idiots some were not, some were assholes some were not. Some went on to higher education some did not. No different than anyone else in this country.

Genocide??? Really? Humans have been killing each other for the stupidest reasons since the beginning and now we are supposed to be the ones to suddenly feel guilty for something we did not do like wipe a whole group of people out? Thats like reperations for blacks because someone in their bloodline happened to be a slave. Got news for ya, we all are descendents of slaves. Every single one of us has had ancestors that were enslaved at some point. Humans have been enslaving enemies and weaker humans since the beginning too. Worry about the slavery and genocides that are occuring now not what happened then.

The enemy is taken as slaves in manny epochs. Never never nobody else just went and took people from other parts of the world for the purpose of useing them as slaves.

Some where I became lost in this thread, are you who disagree, want the Natives to represent the “Save the Planet” campaign.
Are you angry because you feel bad that the Planet has gone to crap and you want to apoligise to the Native.

I know the question seems sarcastic, but I am serious, because I still do not understand why anyone would have been offended by this slide show.

Or, was this a thread to increase post total?

I’m not sure I get it either, I’m sure if you were a Cherokee who spent their lives on a reservation you might think it was a little bit lame, but since no culture is being demeaned or talked down at as far as I can tell, and anyone with half a brain realises this is not straight from the ancestor spirits, I don’t see how its offensive. Sounds to me like people with little or no attachment to the culture are being offended on their behalf. Which is actually what 99.99999% of PC is. I’m sure most people with racial issues are more interested in cultural glass ceilings, violence and or real issues of discrimination in their daily lives to care about something so banal as this campaign.

No as you know that’s this one.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169423

I never really got the whole point of post total wars myself, but there you go, In my experience its usually kids who seem to think if they get over a certain total they are somehow more impressive, when lets face it everyone just pegs the spam merchants and thinks they are lame pretty much off the bat. Mind you this isn’t really one of those forums that has spam kings as such, not that I’ve noticed anyway.

You are wrong. The Roman empire conquered lands including as far North as England and Sweden. Slaves were sent back to Rome for “sporting events” and for sex. If some died along the way, oh well, there will be more that followed. The Moors went out of their way to conquer lands, they shipped slaves back to their home.
The Vikings transported slaves over distances. The Asians did this quite well too.

The slave merchants of The black slave trade bought their slaves from Africans that had captured their neighbors. It became profitable to conquer a tribe then sell the survivors to merchants. Of course that part is neglected because people want to manipulate guilt. Slaves have been transported throughout time. You get captured you are either ransomed or sold into slavery. The better that transportation became the further slaves were transported. All across the old countries ancient roads have slave bodies turned to dust along them. The American slave trade is just the youngest, not the rarest or most novel. I would not seek reperations for my ancestors, I see no reason why anyone else should. Whats done is done, learn morals and ethics from it and move on.

my people have been exploited enough

-Imp

Your People?
Are you another one of those who recently discovered that you have some Native blood, and now you are offended when someone portrays “your people” in a good light, because you can feel like a Native activist.

Your anger does not do “your people” justice.

How well do you know “your people”?

you assume far too much

-Imp

I figured you were talking about Mythological peoples. The Imp has been horribly maligned and exploited.

Imp… You are assuming that I am assuming ; )

These slaves were men who were destined to die and women for sex or as servants.
Peoples brought back from those conquered lands are the enemy. The Vikings are plunderers and everybody is there enemy.
No my dear kitty,The most heinious cruelty of all actions upon our fellow man is the taking of people for the purpose of slavery. Some owners had sex with the slave but that is not the main purpose for the stealing of people. Many try to gloss over it by saying everybody did it but the whole out and out of takeing people for slave for that only purpose is performed in American history.

That is a load of garbage. A slave is a conquered person that has the sole purpose of doing their master’s bidding for, sex amusement or labor or what ever. A slave has no choice, if you are conquered you are the enemy. Those that were sold to merchants were conquered humans. Captured for the purpose of slavery to use as their master’s saw fit. Slaves have been bought and sold by all people that have ever had slaves. African slaves went to countries other than just the US at that time so that part of your argument is wrong. Wherever there was a market for slaves that is where the merchants went with their cargo of humans. Slavery was legal in many countries. Romans, Vikings etc, they all boutght and sold slaves with outsiders and with their own people.

You think taking a person as a slave that has fought you in battle is honorable? Is a good thing compared to kidnapping at night or just plain old overwhelming a village? Please if you take another person by force you are making an enemy, they sure as heck are not going to be your friend. Since when did nonfighting women and children become dangerous enemies that needed to be enslaved? Glossing over is what you are doing. You wish to paint a scene that did not exist sweetums.
Do you think that a slave cares if you think their enslavement is an honorable action? They certainly do not. They certainly do not think Well at least my free life is over honorably.

Slavery is disgraceful no matter how it was done. Painting the US as the worst is just political propaganda designed to keep racial tension up in order to serve the few that make a profit off of racial bigotry. It blinds people so well that they make people feel guilty for something they had no hand in nor would ever consider doing. Bravo, you are a PR person for a farce.

I’m insulted the British were the worst for slavery, both for time span, time period in which it occurred, and sheer numbers. Stop trying to steal all our thunder capslock! :wink:

We bought slaves from Africa for the most part, from Africans who rounded them up from their native villages and took them to slave markets; the whole of humanity is to blame for it. There is really no one absolute villain, just a series of bad people willing to exploit others for profit, just be glad we got over it. Not that I hasten to add I blame Africans as much as Europeans and let’s face it they surely were overdue an apology, given how such markets were created and exploited.

Factory work is a form of slavery. Ok I exaggerate but it sure felt like it. :smiley:

How did the Native American Ten commandments spark conversation on slavery.

We all learned about Slavery in the 3rd grade, We learned why it took place in High School.
Are we still talking about slavery?

Humans have evolved, non of us were slaves. Humans do things differently now. Now, they have riots and protest because they are angry about the past.

Or, they lash out on forums, on the behalf of their people.

But, I have finally figured out what a high post total means.

Perhaps someone could post the Ten Commandments of Moses, it will be interesting to see where it will lead.

I’m with you on that? how indeed?

Nothing. Well done Grasshopper.

Hopefully someone wont complain about them destroying their Jewish heritage by misappropriating their Levitic laws, but who can say? If any race has a reason to complain about humans and their silly justifications for persecution it would be the Jews. :slight_smile:

I think you’d have a reason to complain about the lack of real discussion or merit if this wasn’t in mundane babble. The clue is in the name I think.

I thought those big ten belonged to more than just Moses?, You mean no one else has had to follow them? What a rip off , someone really wanted to control the future in a bad way. I protest any further use of the 10 commandments since they are Moses’s, let him or any that are named Moses follow them.(Wheeew, thank goodness Moses is a male name)

Yea, what Sidhe said; We were only following our elders. :sunglasses: :-"