Banning People

Moderator: Carleas

Re: Banning People

Postby MagsJ » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:23 am

The mods will endeavour to keep on top of the situation Anthem.
Examine what is said, not him who speaks.
~Arab Proverb
Imageaes dhammo sanantano Pali: 'this is the eternal law'

The Narcissist exists whereby every activity and relationship is defined by the hedonistic need to acquire the symbols of spiritual wealth, this becoming the only expression of rigid, yet covert, social hierarchies. It is a culture where liberalism only exists insofar as it serves a consumer society, and even art, sex and religion lose their liberating power.
User avatar
MagsJ
Triumvirate
 
Posts: 12920
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Banning People

Postby Anthem » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:20 pm

Turns out he can still PM me even if I have him foed. He's doing it as 'thesecondcoming' now.
-anthem
User avatar
Anthem
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:04 pm
Location: Undisclosed

Re: Banning People

Postby MagsJ » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 pm

We should be able to tweak the system to prevent foes from pm'ing a person - will keep you updated on that...
Examine what is said, not him who speaks.
~Arab Proverb
Imageaes dhammo sanantano Pali: 'this is the eternal law'

The Narcissist exists whereby every activity and relationship is defined by the hedonistic need to acquire the symbols of spiritual wealth, this becoming the only expression of rigid, yet covert, social hierarchies. It is a culture where liberalism only exists insofar as it serves a consumer society, and even art, sex and religion lose their liberating power.
User avatar
MagsJ
Triumvirate
 
Posts: 12920
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Banning People

Postby Carleas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Anthem wrote:what warrants a warning?

Really anything anti-social or disruptive warrants a warning. There is no hard and fast list of impermissible actions, because there are an infinite number of ways that people can make a board unpleasant. A warning says "don't make a habit of doing that, because you are spoiling everyone elses fun".

Sorry if that's vague. There used to be a list of rules, but it got to the point where it was difficult to intervene when someone wasn't technically breaking the rules, but was obviously being a pain in the ass. The "Forum Philosophy" was supposed to make the goals of the site clear, so that anything that got in the way of those goals would be understood to be frowned upon. Since all the staff are regulars, we (hopefully) have a good idea of what makes for discussions and what kills them, and we moderate accordingly.

Does that clear anything up?
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 4197
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Banning People

Postby Anthem » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:36 am

Yeah, I understand. That's how most forums are run. I just think you're too laissez-faire sometimes :)
-anthem
User avatar
Anthem
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:04 pm
Location: Undisclosed

Re: Banning People

Postby Xunzian » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:07 am

In my experience (and others can feel free to contradict me) it isn't so much a policy of laissez-faire but rather of benign neglect. Semantics, but if we're already quibbling . . .
User avatar
Xunzian
Drunken Master
 
Posts: 10367
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 am

I think it's fair to say that some are more easily annoyed than others / some are more tolerant than others - not a big deal :confusion-shrug:
Examine what is said, not him who speaks.
~Arab Proverb
Imageaes dhammo sanantano Pali: 'this is the eternal law'

The Narcissist exists whereby every activity and relationship is defined by the hedonistic need to acquire the symbols of spiritual wealth, this becoming the only expression of rigid, yet covert, social hierarchies. It is a culture where liberalism only exists insofar as it serves a consumer society, and even art, sex and religion lose their liberating power.
User avatar
MagsJ
Triumvirate
 
Posts: 12920
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Banning People

Postby SIATD v2 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:58 am

Liteninbolt wrote:Moderators don't take pleasure is taking action on someone who wants to circumvent this site's protocols. At least I know I don't.


You may not, but other moderators most certainly do take pleasure in this.
It's like going to heaven and finding God smokin' crack!
Magsj wrote:I met a guy who abhorred all authority figures but he was lovely ergo.. the two can go together.
User avatar
SIATD v2
One Man Pussy Riot
 
Posts: 2415
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Liteninbolt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:51 pm

SIATD v2 wrote:
Liteninbolt wrote:Moderators don't take pleasure is taking action on someone who wants to circumvent this site's protocols. At least I know I don't.


You may not, but other moderators most certainly do take pleasure in this.

Is this the original 'Someone is at the door'? I've moderated in other sites. Not that it was something I wanted to do...I recognized help was needed to keep those sites running smoothly. I know this personally, because I had my own philo site. I could have had mods on mine , but I didn't want to pose duress on anyone else. I had problems and decided to finish out my contract there because of the pettiness which ensued and let the site go.

I was asked to help here and did so. I can appreciate the trouble it takes to have a site like ILP. Granted the one I had was nothing on the scale of memebership ILP enjoys. In my particular case, I opened mine because I enjoy seeing what other's thoughts are and share mine.
I don't operate under the 'gotcha' or 'you're wrong' point of view. My interest is in learning by expanding my viewpoint through observing the human dynamic. In some instances I am prejudiced against having converstions with some folks because I know through viewing their posts nothing positive will become of it. The ones I have had unproductive discussions with I choose not to interact with anymore.

ILP's forum rules premise are agreeable with me because it closely aligned with my now defunct site and personal operating structure. I don't agree with a lot that is discussed, but I am still interested is seeing those different viewpoints.
Liteninbolt
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:55 am

SIATD v2 wrote:
Liteninbolt wrote:Moderators don't take pleasure is taking action on someone who wants to circumvent this site's protocols. At least I know I don't.


You may not, but other moderators most certainly do take pleasure in this.



I don't take any pleasure in doing that. I consider myself something of a laissez-faire Moderator. It may be true that I might be one of the first people to put the possibility of a ban on the table, but I don't take action of any kind unless a definite infraction of the Rules has occurred.
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

Image
User avatar
PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell
 
Posts: 7062
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Banning People

Postby Faust » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:37 pm

I dream about banning. One slow week, I even banned myself. There was no one else to ban.

A little while ago, I quit my job. Told them I didn't have enough time to ban people on ILP and so I quit.

I wake up every day thinking, "Who can I ban today"?

And I just can't get to sleep at night unless I have banned someone.

I just banned a username a few minutes ago. But I'm like a shark. I gotta keep moving. Gotta keep banning. Lest I die.
User avatar
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom
 
Posts: 16270
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby MagsJ » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Haha! too funny Faust, too funny :lol:
Examine what is said, not him who speaks.
~Arab Proverb
Imageaes dhammo sanantano Pali: 'this is the eternal law'

The Narcissist exists whereby every activity and relationship is defined by the hedonistic need to acquire the symbols of spiritual wealth, this becoming the only expression of rigid, yet covert, social hierarchies. It is a culture where liberalism only exists insofar as it serves a consumer society, and even art, sex and religion lose their liberating power.
User avatar
MagsJ
Triumvirate
 
Posts: 12920
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Banning People

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:31 am

Yeah, funny stuff.

Thanks for unbanning me, MagsJ.

That's the second time today, Faust, leave me alone already!
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

Image
User avatar
PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell
 
Posts: 7062
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Banning People

Postby Tab » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:56 am

How a bout a 'be a mod for a day' contest.

Then everyone could experience the pleasure of a damn good permaban.
Image
Click Logo For Blog
User avatar
Tab
Deeply Shallow
 
Posts: 7988
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Liteninbolt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:00 am

I think that would be a 'negatory'.
Liteninbolt
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Tab » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:06 am

Can someone ban him for me..?
Image
Click Logo For Blog
User avatar
Tab
Deeply Shallow
 
Posts: 7988
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Liteninbolt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:11 am

Make him happy and ban me for 24 hours.
Liteninbolt
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Anthem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:06 am

You guys can ban each other? :lol: Admin fail.
-anthem
User avatar
Anthem
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:04 pm
Location: Undisclosed

Re: Banning People

Postby Liteninbolt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:04 am

If you prick us do we not bleed?
Liteninbolt
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Anthem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:23 am

Prick you? I barely even know you.
-anthem
User avatar
Anthem
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:04 pm
Location: Undisclosed

Re: Banning People

Postby SIATD v2 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Faust wrote:I dream about banning. One slow week, I even banned myself. There was no one else to ban.

A little while ago, I quit my job. Told them I didn't have enough time to ban people on ILP and so I quit.

I wake up every day thinking, "Who can I ban today"?

And I just can't get to sleep at night unless I have banned someone.

I just banned a username a few minutes ago. But I'm like a shark. I gotta keep moving. Gotta keep banning. Lest I die.


1 Carry your opponent's proposition beyond its natural limits; exaggerate it.
The more general your opponent's statement becomes, the more objections you can find against it.
The more restricted and narrow your own propositions remain, the easier they are to defend.


Thirty - Eight Ways to Win an Argument from Schopenhauer's "The Art of Controversy"
http://www.searchlores.org/schopeng.htm

:roll:
It's like going to heaven and finding God smokin' crack!
Magsj wrote:I met a guy who abhorred all authority figures but he was lovely ergo.. the two can go together.
User avatar
SIATD v2
One Man Pussy Riot
 
Posts: 2415
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Tab » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 am

That bastard Schopenwhore stole my trick, I've been using that one for years.
Image
Click Logo For Blog
User avatar
Tab
Deeply Shallow
 
Posts: 7988
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Mastriani » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Tab wrote:That bastard Schopenwhore stole my trick, I've been using that one for years.


I prefer the "argument of no argument" technique.

Status: auto-win.

Is self-banning allowed at ILP? I mean, if you feel that your own personal level of argument failure is exceeding logical boundaries for any given day. Or maybe it should just be a community function, a type of voting system function. Have a page where users can vote, and after X number of votes, an offending user is auto-banned for 24-48 hours ...

Wait, nevermind, that would end up being a perma-ban for me. "The jury is instructed to disregard the previous remarks."
Image

I am not interested in preserving the status quo. I want to overthrow it.

Niccolo Machiavelli
User avatar
Mastriani
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5526
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Nuclear win, like only a human can do.

Re: Banning People

Postby Faust » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Mastriani - as the owner of a successful message board website, you may know about this already - we sometimes use the Ban-O-Matic Random Ban Selector. It randomly selects a member name to ban. Most of the time it will, obviously, select a long-gone, zero-post, just-lookin'-around member from back when stuff like philosophy was discussed here. But it's something to do.

http://www.Ban-O-Matic.com
User avatar
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom
 
Posts: 16270
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Banning People

Postby Mastriani » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Faust wrote:Mastriani - as the owner of a successful message board website, you may know about this already - we sometimes use the Ban-O-Matic Random Ban Selector. It randomly selects a member name to ban. Most of the time it will, obviously, select a long-gone, zero-post, just-lookin'-around member from back when stuff like philosophy was discussed here. But it's something to do.

http://www.Ban-O-Matic.com


I was not aware of this functionality addition to message boards. I know I should feel empowered to use it, but for some reason, my sense of self-validation in banning seems reduced to almost imperceptibility ...

Apparently, the lack of measureable e-peen drive is now officially an issue. ::sigh::

No intarwebs glory for some of us ...
Image

I am not interested in preserving the status quo. I want to overthrow it.

Niccolo Machiavelli
User avatar
Mastriani
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5526
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Nuclear win, like only a human can do.

PreviousNext

Return to Help And Suggestions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users