Top Ten Songs That You're Embarassed to Love

Top Ten Songs That You’re Embarassed to Love:

You may have guessed this, but this thread is for posting the Top Ten songs that you are embarassed to love.

Obviously, people may do this however they want, but may I politely request that we limit the YouTube links, otherwise I’ll end up being effectively locked out of my own thread because my computer can’t handle them all.

1.) Europe-“The Final Countdown”

2.) Ace of Base-“The Sign”

3.) Duran Duran-“The Reflex”

4.) Falco-“Rock Me Amadeus”

5.) Dexy’s Midnight Runners-“Come On Eileen”

6.) Boys II Men-“Motown Philly”

7.) The Whispers-“Rock Steady”

8.) Tears For Fears-“Shout”

9.) Ginuwine-“Pony”

10.) Weird Al Yankovic-“Amish Paradise”

Fun idea, Pav! You’ve got some great ones on your list. (And thanks so much, I’m gonna have “The Reflex” stuck in my head all night now. :laughing: )

I have a lot of embarrassing favorites, here are the first 10 that I came up with, in no particular order:
Love Shack – B52s
Lips Like Sugar – Echo and the Bunnymen
Cradle of Love – Billy Idol
Joey – Concrete Blonde
Sugar We’re Goin’ Down – Fall Out Boy
Who Do You Love – George Thorogood
I Miss You – Honeydogs
Candy – Iggy Pop
Your Body is a Wonderland – John Mayer
Walk Away – Kelly Clarkson

“I sold the Renoir and the TV set…”

By the way, what is embarassing about loving a Fall Out Boy song or a Thorogood song? I will admit that, “Love Shack,” is a little embarassing, but that’s just a song I like and not one I love. It’s also the one most likely to get stuck in my head because of this, either that, or, “Cradle of Love.”

Yeah, they’re all fun songs, but not exactly profound - their lyricists won’t be winning any songwriting awards any time soon… But heck, ya gotta mix a little Stephen King in with your Shakespeare, I always say. :slight_smile:

I love that phrase! I hadn’t heard it before you just said that, but I like it.

Sometimes, you do have to read unprolific literature such as Shakespeare to loosen up after finishing a Stephen King novel. I’m being somewhat serious, here. On a Philosophical level, if you compare The Long Walk to Romeo and Juliet I think that the formal kills it in virtually all regards. The Long Walk being something of a prophecy as to the direction that society (as a whole) is heading compared to the fact that were it not for stories such as Romeo and Juliet I don’t think you would have afternoon soap operas which seem to utilize such storylines to a large degree.

F***ed up rich people, unrequited love, murders, suicides, melodrama, it’s all there!

I agree, both King and Shakespeare deal in universal themes, as you noted, love, betrayal, death, insanity, war. The major difference is that Stephen King is much more accessible to the average reader, whereas Shakespeare takes work to really “get.”

[size=80][Trying to get back on-topic =>] [/size]The same is true of music - some music requires a trained ear to fully appreciate, while other music (our guilty pleasures) only requires a catchy melody. :slight_smile:
[size=75]
[Are we the only ones with embarrassing favorites? :confused: ][/size]

We are not the only ones that have such favorites, just the only ones who are not afraid to admit it.

In no specific order –

1. Tainted Love - Soft Cell

2. Mmmbop - Hanson

3. Rockstar - Nickleback

4. Tiptoe Through The Tulips - Tiny Tim

5. Tearin’ Up My Heart - N’sync

6. Ice, Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

7. Land Down Under - Men At Work

8. Cupid Shuffle - Cupid (more a guilty pleasure dance, but I do love the song)

9. Some Girls (Dance With Women) - JC Chasez

10. Hey There Delilah - Plain White T’s

Terrific song!

You should be…j/k

I don’t even want to see Hanson brought up in this thread, LOL. The Middle-Hanson, whatever his name is, is directly responsible for what is probably the most embarrassing moment of my entire life.

“GOD-DAMN, who is she?”

That almost made my list. I think that everyone thought, “Amish Paradise,” was hilarious at that time, but to still love it now edges out, “Ice, Ice Baby,” a little.

Why is that embarassing?

Word to your mother.

“Hey There Delilah” is embarrassing because it’s a sappy, overplayed song…but it’s so sweet, and I love acoustic guitar. Guilty pleasure :slight_smile:

But it’s still not as sappy as “Hey There Vagina”. Now, that’s a more realistic version of a man’s love song. :wink: :laughing:

Toxic - Britney Spears
Ride Like the Wind - Christopher Cross
Who’s the Man - Heavy D and the Boyz
Miracles - Jefferson Starship
Trigga Happy Nigga - Geto Boys
Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
Ride on Time - Black Box
She’s Homeless - Crystal Waters
Just the Two of Us - Grover Washington, Jr.