Linguistics

I’d say that Linguistics is linked to Psychology, as that subject is to do with the mind, how it works, and how language came into being.

Very true in the sense that thinking is Lingual, however, in this case it has to do with an etymology of a word and the evolution thereof, about which I have some questions. That is more in a scientific sense I think. Could you reconsider your statement and let me know to what conclusion you come the second time (if not too much trouble of course)? I would also like you to consider if it would be prudent to ask for a new subforum in this case. Although I am now reconsidering my statement and thinking Psychology might be the best place for it after all.

I would still say Psychology, as the subject you are approaching is discussed in many a book on how language and words evolved over time…

Linguistics is definitely a branch of Psychology…

Allright, I will post it there later. For now I would like to have said that you probably mean that Linguistics are a part of Psycho-Analysis. There is a big difference with Psychology. Just a thought.

Linguistics can be placed within a number of different broader fields, depending on the subject matter. Psychology, computer science, pure philosophy, it depends a great deal on the specific question.

Even narrowing it to etymology doesn’t strictly confine it to one domain. If it’s about the progression of language, it might better be placed within social philosophy or anthropology; if it’s about the associations that brought about a particular etymological shift, psychology or neurobiology; if it’s about the relation of past meanings to present meanings, pure philosophy.

In any case, it doesn’t seem that the subject gets enough mileage here to warrant its own forum. If it’s really just a question, HoQ might be the best fit for it, because that forum is interdisciplinary as far as the subject matter of posts. Otherwise, it’s up to you to place it where you think it fits best.

I thought of the HoQ, but I think this one is too specialized for it. Personally, I would like a Linguistics subforum. Perhaps it should be placed inside the Psychology subforum as a subsubforum or something. Is that an ‘idea’?

NOTE:
I’ll create the topic and place a link here so you can see what kind of thing I am interested in discussing. I have a couple of similar topic ‘idea’s’ to get things rolling so that others might join in the fun. Sometimes a good example can set a good precedent. :slight_smile:

I meant in terms of the forums available here, but thanks for the clarification.

I am not opposed to a Linguistics sub-forum, so it might be something for us to consider…

Jay, one vote in favor!

The topic can be found here.

It wouldn’t be high traffic, but I wouldn’t be adverse to such a forum either.
I rather enjoy etymological examination.

I enjoy it as well as anyone else, but I don’t think that it necessarily warrants its own Forum.

Say Pav, this isn’t about me voting against you in your debate with Tab, is it?
:stuck_out_tongue:

LOL

No, it’s purely a signal-to-noise thing. It might work as a Sub-Forum of Philosophy, or it may be well paired with Creative Writing, but I don’t think it survives as its own Forum.

Creative Writing & Linguistic Studies

I think something like that would work.

I think it should be a subforum as well. The difficulty is that it could go with many categories. I would not place it with ‘creative writing’ since it is a topic for discussion, to assemble thoughts on the matter or learn something. Not a scribble or something like that. If it should be placed with a ‘writing’ category I would use ‘essays and theses’ since that is a part of the ‘philosophy fora’ and entails the philosophical spirit as well as the discussion of thoughts and evaluations.

However, this kind of hermeneutic research into the use of a word by an individual or in a given time is a regular part of philosophical thought in any situation. That category seems misused for not so serious topics as well though, so I would think ‘essays and theses’ would be the best choice. What do the rest of you think?

Linguistics is most properly placed as a Social Science in my opinion.
It is the science of social communication.

Creative Writing being deemed an unacceptable Forum for it, I’d probably then go either Philosophy or Psychology.

Language has a psycho-analitic value, linguistics has a social value and hermeneutics has a linguistic value. There places for psychology in a wide sense and for social questions in the wide sense. Linguistics however has no place. There will always be an overlap, but to me a new subforum should be about a linguistic meaning and therefore I still vote for essays and theses. Should we put all xhoices in a vote?

If we place it as it’s own forum, not a sub-forum, under the section “experimental forums”, then I will gladly take on moderating responsibility for the forum.

Great! The only thing I do not grasp is why you would prefer this above the subforum idea?

1. obscurity sucks
  2. I would say it falls under the classification of, “other”, for ILP and “other” is the experimental forum.

But would that ‘other’ not entail that the linguistic forum stay ‘experimental’ for ever since it will never be used so often so as to warrant a forum of its own?

About obscurity:
Is it not the case that too many forums obscure things and that too few forums with too many subforums obscures things as well? Should a re-evaluation take place for the layout of ILP?