Ask a Satanist

This is the funniest part. My version of Satanism has been around since the dawn of time. Yours has been around since… the 60’s? Wow. Then you go onto say you base your beliefs on LeVay, who was an actual Satanist.

lol. This is the weakest sauce I’ve ever seen. Why did you come back? Clearly we’re not 14 anymore. Are you still? I can just picture you running around like some Columbine shooter wearing your black coat.

When LeVay says he doesn’t believe in mysticism it’s an occult misnomer/joke. What he is saying is that he doesn’t see it as mystic anymore. Higher ritual science as just that—sciences. That’s why he translated the Enochian language from Dee. That’s why he was, pretty much all his adult life, involved in ritual magick.

The public, safe version of all this is what he published. What you fell for.

Yeah I’m just looking through his ‘bible’ now (it’s been a while) and he leaves out a bunch of kabbalistic stuff that him and Parsons had got into.

Anyways… it’s clear to me I know more about your espoused belief system from my cursory investigations then you do, period.

I guess I’m done here.

It may seem that way from your point of view, however from where I am sitting, based on the series of clueless assertions made in your last spastic series of posts, it is evident to me you do not. I am in my 30s, and have been pursuing this path for over 20 years, so I just might have figured out a thing or two in that time. Anyway, thanks for your ‘input’.

Now , since you obviously think you have this figured out, why not put down your troll stick and let others that may not have their minds sealed so tightly shut have a go? :wink:

What do you mean by the statement in bold? Also, why not just call yourself a hedonist and forgo the Satan part?

Autotheism through adversarial manifestation. A cursory idea of what I am talking about.

As for your question re-hedonism, the term is not robust enough to sum up the philosophy. Although indulging the ego and it’s desires rather than abstaining from same is certainly an element of Satanism, there is much more to it than that.

Try THIS. The entire work can be read thought the preview function. Jason and I don’t see eye to eye on everything (as no two Satanists do, as per the nature of a bottom up religion), but he touches on a lot of deeper ideas.

First of all, the link on adversarial manifestation is interesting, but hardly unique to Satanism. Autotheism appears to me to be an odd concept that is designed to “deify” one’s own consciousness. I don’t really see much value in that that cannot be attained by Nihilism, with the only major difference between the 2 philosophies being the Satanic Autotheism concept. Who is to say that my subconscious mind is any more valuable than another, or worthy of deification?

Another issue I have with Satanism, is the down-up philosophy. It’s not so much that I don’t think it’s a useful idea, it just makes Satanism hard to define. Personally, I need to define my philosophy, because it’s so much a part of my own identity. Satanism is personal, and because of that, it’s impossible to know the exact beliefs of Satanists unless they tell you.

Well, it isn’t for everyone, and I have no desire to convince anyone of anything. This thread is for those that might be interested in what Satanism is all about in 2011.

Christianity is even older. Maybe that proves their equally vague, convoluted, half-metaphorical claims to be correct.

I’ve always thought you were a troll. No one in their 30’s would actually believe this sophomoric nonsense.

One might expect someone that has been seriously studying christianity for 20 years might have a more robust understanding of the subject material than one who gave it a cursory glance, however. For someone trying to come off as holding an intellectually superior position missing obvious points in argument like that doesn’t exactly bode well… :wink:

I’m sure whatever strawman you have assembled to represent Satanism is quite nonsensical indeed.

Now I’ll ask again, stay on topic or kindly gtfo of my thread. If you want to pwn me and make me look stupid, ask me questions you think I can’t answer. Or is throwing feces all you can muster?

There’s been a bunch of them thrown at you. You haven’t responded to either person here beyond 2 links to the 2-word phrase you keep saying, as if that is the entire argument right there.

Is that the entire argument right there? Is that, to you, inherently Satanic?

Cause that isn’t Satanism. I do that too but I call it being a confused new age peon.

Dr.S this is a pretty interesting religion (if i can even call it that). I have read through your responses and it seems like satanism is something that has become part of you. My question is a simple one. How did you become a satanist, what made you take that leap of faith and begin to acknowledge yourself as a satanist?

Isn’t Satan, or the Devil, nothing more than our internal rationalizations to do evil, to value our self-worth as greater than that of others? And isn’t rationalization nothing more than the process of lying…even to ourselves if necessary?

Are you using Satan as an adversarial opponent to the gods of traditional religions? If so, for what purpose?

I know you said this

but,

how do you explain yourself when people accuse you of being satan worshipper (with all the stereotypes in mind)?

Would you compare Lucifer to Prometheus?

It wasn’t so much of a leap of faith as it was a process of recognizing myself in the words of LaVey, and later the foundational material behind those words. As it was a reflection of how I already thought, it was more of a crystallization than a shift of gears. An avenue to pursue how I already thought, and a description of how I already lived. Taking the label was more of a matter of self honesty than anything else.

Well, in a sense, yes! If you define evil as those things our collective masters tell us we MUST NOT DO, the devil is certainly an apt representative of freeing oneself from those mental chains. Who decides what evil is. You? Me? Allah? Who decides ultimately, if not the self?

And why should any healthy person not value their own life as primary? Self preservation is the highest law, after all.

Yes, deity oriented religious constructs are a good example of ‘truth’ flowing down from the masters to slaves, but there are many others. Government, media, advertisers, various political and social interests pushing shit like ‘political correctness’ in all its various manifestations, social mores defining how we should think, speak, and behave. Satan also extends his interests to these things :wink:

Depends on the context I guess. If I were in a business situation, they wouldn’t know to begin with. If it was a friend or someone I gave a shit about, I would explain what Satanism is really about. If it was some random person, I may just embrace the role, or tell them to fuck off…depending on my mood. :slight_smile:

As for lucifer and prometheus, I guess you could compare the two light bringers…but I don’t really place that high a value on mythology aside from the use of archetype and metaphor, where it is often useful.

I wouldn’t go so far as to call it philosophy.

I will remind the thread visitors of two rules that exists within the Religion forum:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=169044#p2090563

Because I did not notice this previously, I will not take recourse at this time, but further breach of these rules will result in reflexive consequence as per the outlined rules of the forum.
To be clear, that means warnings will begin to be issued.

There is no need to address this post’s content. Doing so will not result in any change of this decree.

I do not. I define evil as immoral acts, specifically the violation by any sentient being of the rights of another sentient being to their life, liberty and property through force or fraud. (All else is individually determined virtue.)

How so, given that the Devil, our temptation to misuse force or deception, is an onerous example of a liar and deceiver?

Unbiased, objective reason defines it as I’ve done above–based on the assumption that life is of value and sentient life is of ultimate value.

“Primary”? You missed what I said (intentionally?). We carry our own weight, and look out for #1…among our fellow creatures with the same/equal rights as ours.

Throw religion out the window. All’s they’ve done is confuse the issue of morality by tacking on a lot of self-serving bs.

BTW, the pursuit of Truth is the highest law. Truth, knowledge, justice, love and beauty. Anything else is a human generated lie.

Yes, deity oriented religious constructs are a good example of ‘truth’ flowing down from the masters to slaves, but there are many others. Government, media, advertisers, various political and social interests pushing shit like ‘political correctness’ in all its various manifestations, social mores defining how we should think, speak, and behave. Satan also extends his interests to these things :wink:

What is Satanism really about for you? And if you lie or misrepresent yourself to anyone, that’s got to come back and cause problems for your credibility. Once someone determines you will lie, how can they believe anything you say?

Ok, good for you.

The difference between use and misuse when it comes to force or deception is a matter of individual perspective.

Unbiased? That would mean ALL life, not just human life (including plant life) is of value.Cows are sentient. Ultimate value? One might wonder what you had for dinner last night.

If you, as I suspect you do, mean ‘human’ life, on what do you base this special pleading? Tasking it back a step though, why is life of value, and what do you even mean by ultimate value?

Anyhow, treat these questions as rhetorical for the purpose of contrast…jets just say I do not think there is such thing as value outside of the mind where it rests and is created. Things don’t ‘have’ value, things are given value. Rather, we project value onto things.

No I read everything you said. There is no such thing as equality or rights, unless they are backed by force. As such, instances of both arise at the whim of those with the most force…either social or military.

Strangely enough, truth, justice, love, and beauty are all linguistic constructs, and purely man made. All living things, though, will do whatever they can to survive.

Does that mean you don’t get to watch nude nubile virgins dance round a fire and then wantonly desecrate their virtue, because I’m only in on religions that do that.

I should become a druid really.

And more seriously why do you bother, wouldn’t just being an atheist be the same thing?