When You Finish a Story...

I sometimes play around with graphic design for fun. Thought some of you might enjoy this one:

Looks cool, and a good quote.

Mr. Dosty is a favorite of mine.

No, I don’t think so. This is the sort of observation that is really a value judgment. What it is suggesting [at least to me] is that you ought to feel ashamed of telling the story.

That’s ridiculous. It always depends on the story, why you told it and how others react to it. There may be something to be ashamed of. There may not be. Or some will feel ashamed while others feel anything but.

It’s always about a particular dasein situated out in the world.

it’s okay, u don’t have to relate to it bro. i do.

I agree that most everything is situational, and very few, if any, one-line quotes will successfully state something that is always the case. At the same time, though, I think it’s a quote that most people could identify with to the extent that they’ve felt that way at least once. I don’t know if he meant for that quote to be taken literally in all cases.

The problem is, if you want to have a quote that hits with power, it has to be somewhat dogmatic. All of my, “Maybe’s,” “Usually’s,” and “Sometimes’,” may be meant more literally in their presentation, but they’re not what quotes that stick with people are made out of.

I like your graphic. It feels really strong…
At first, I felt maybe the blue ought to be above and the brown below - you know, sky above, ground below, :laughing: but it doesn’t really matter. And the brown is stronger.
I always liked Fyodor too…one of my favorites.
There was a time when I tried to exhaust him.
Do you know where that quote came from - an excerpt from one of his books or just a quote of his.

This quote from Notes from the Underground may also drive home what Fyodor might have meant by your above quote.

“Every man has some reminiscences which he would not tell to everyone, but only to his friends. He has others which he would not reveal even to his friends, but only to himself, and that in secret. But finally there are still others which a man is even afraid to tell himself, and every decent man has a considerable number of such things stored away. That is, one can even say that the more decent he is, the greater the number of such things in his mind.”

Anyway, the quote in your thread, or ANY quote for that matter, if we peel it back layer by layer, might just speak to us and reveal something interesting to us. Some of us (not you) are just NOT capable of seeing the tree for the forest. :laughing:

:frowning: :slight_smile: :smiley:

I like the blue part best. The whole thing’s pretty nice.

I like the exercise. But, your covers says nothing about what’s inside, it doesn’t illuminate

what is trevor talking about? what exercise? inside what? is he on drugs?

haha, the exercise of doing some form of art work for a book you’re just read, thus the stuff inside is the book itself, the story…ja?

there’s no book

I just re-read your OP and title and realised it was merely a quote haha, y’see my mistake, either way, it doesn’t illuminate…

it wasn’t meant to, i’m fine with that.

Yeah, it’s good to read the OP before you comment.

I did then I re-read it. Hence the “re-” part. :unamused:

Notice what I said, trevor – “It’s good to read the OP before you comment.” Perhaps I should’ve added, “…in it’s entirety…” to that.

Alright. It’s good to read the OP in it’s entirety before you comment.

Doesn’t make a difference either way to the point I was making. As I said in my reply to Humpty, I assume you read that. Speaking of points - what’s yours?

It does make a difference. Had you gotten it through your head that it was a quote you were reading, your comments wouldn’t have even occured to you. That’s my point.

Despite how ridiculous this argument is I have to say that these little battles between you and I around the boards are more fun than they are with most people.