Osama bin Laden is Dead.

Am talkin’ bout the PR, mmm’kay? The official front, mmm’kay?

Just out of curiosity, why are you so incensed here? What motivates that?

Do you really have to ask? I say what I think and I’ve got people throwing arguments at me that don’t have anything to do with what I said, because they’re based on either misinterpretations or somebody just pulling something out of their ass and pretending I said it.

Do you think the official front is important?

Why shouldn’t we try a little honesty for once?

Okay, but most of what we say eventually has to be put in a larger and larger context. And surely that is the case regarding the killing of bin Laden. There is a context even larger than my own: What is it about human nature that makes these things not only possible but prevalent throughout our history?

Anyway, to me you seem to be more pissed off at others for not agreeing with you [or not agreeing with how you believe the argument should be framed] than you do with the argument itself.

I do that sometimes myself. But then I’m a polemist. It’s all calculated.

I really don’t give a shit if others agree with me or not. I did not come into this thread to discuss a personal opinion. It’s not about whether I agree or disagree. I’m just talking about something that happened, and leaving out how I feel about it. Still didn’t get that? How many more times should I say it? 100? 1,000? What will it take?

And I don’t give a shit about how the argument is “framed”, whatever the fuck that means. I have no issue with the points you brought up other than how you misinterpreted what I said and then related your points to that misinterpretation.

The question I asked specifically relates to the PR aspect.

Not important, interesting. We’re talking politics after all.

I’ll agree that it’s interesting. It’s interesting to hear what they’ll come up with next. It’s also sickening, frustrating, and sometimes soul-crushing (for me, at least).

Who are you referring to - “they’ll”?

Soul crushing :laughing: You’ve invested yourself into it too much - politics is like nuclear waste, keep a safe distance.

The people who make the news, of course. It filters down from somewhere. People in political circles, I’d wager.

It’s soul-crushing to me because the nonsense is like toxic waste spreading around the entire world. Whenever I think too much or too deeply on the state of the world, whenever I consider all the proven and unproven lies our own government feeds us, whenever I ponder how many people out there are completely oblivious to anything but their own little bubble, I feel…I dunno. It’s difficult to explain. I feel like I’m going to explode, like I need to get away, like I wish the whole world would just blow up and everyone would die, I start to wonder if I shouldn’t just fucking kill myself because that’s the only way to get away from it. I feel as if my very soul is being crushed by the weight of the world.

8-[

Riiiight, I’m just going to go and stand over here instead… :arrow_right:

Yeah, you go ahead and do that.

The deeper you dig into stuff like this the more you realize it’s about human psychology. That and dasein.

Here, I’ll show you what I mean:

That’s pretty much how I feel about the world. Like Brenda from Six Feet Under.

Here’s a couple of interesting bits;
The Nine Lives of Osama bin Laden
and

Who really killed Bin Laden - and why?

You’re already on a temporary ban, and I only compound a pre-existing ban for very good reason, so please know that further posts of this nature will result in a Warning.

You do realize that A, I haven’t posted in this thread in over a week, and B, I do see all of the mods coming at me at once - just after I talked some shit to one of you. The comments on this thread were made days ago, and yet nothing was said to me about any of this until after I started giving her shit. That’s not a coincidence.

BlurredSavant,
The moderators here don’t relish pointing out questionable behavior. I can assure you it’s no power-trip for me. The job doesn’t pay enough. The thing we do care about is promoting harmony without needless posturing.

It is understood that heated debate will occur. Our aim is to try to curb possible incursions of this site’s rules. There has been many times I have bit my tongue and have the scars to prove it. Emotion is a component of discussion, but knowing how to utilize it with reason and calmness can be challenging. In my younger days I could have been easily gone off on a tirade. Now that I’m quite a bit older, the coolness of reason has tempered my compulsion to fly onto expletives while being generally a pain in the derriere. My attention has since turned to the meat on the bone and am content with gnawing away at that. The thing is, we all won’t get what we want from ILP, so we must try to find good middle ground from it.

It is a coincidence.

If you look in the Chamber of Debate, then you will notice that I was quite delayed in judging a recent Debate between Carleas in Gaiaguerrila, and I stated that life had, at that time, been absolutely crazy for a little over a week. It’s quite possible that I missed this thread during that time, that’s inexcusable, of course, but that’s clearly what happened. You know me well enough to know that I don’t let posts like that one go.

Further, and this is just my personal Moderating, a post directed at another Moderator would have to contain more than pure ad hom for me to step in, directly or indirectly. I would quite possibly toss out a Warning for a post directed towards another Moderator that violated some other rule, but not for ad hom, it’s tough not to expect a little ad hom here and there if you are a Moderator.

Finally, if it was not a coincidence, I could have issued a separate Warning, and extended the ban had I wanted to. Obviously, I didn’t want to.

Okay guys.

I heard somewhere (I think while watching the news) that the “burial at sea” plan was designed to prevent those sympathetic to Bin Laden from obtaining and using the body as a means to rally and incite more anti-U.S. sentiment. It had nothing to do with Islamic custom or tradition. That actually makes sense.