Matrix (first movie only) or Star Wars (vols. 4,5,6 only)

Star Wars 4, 5 and 6 or Matrix 1?

• The Matrix
  • Star Wars
0 voters

So?

I have a feeling that it might just come down to which generation you are.

For me, The Matrix!

“My name… Is Neo!”

same concept really, different generations.

messianic films. if you observe closely you will see as their predecessors Lawrence of Arabia, and Ben-Hur.

Matrix was the one that impressed me most on the first watch, but if I were to sit and watch any of them now it’d be the Star Wars films.

Damn son, what a movie. That and Bridg Over the River Kwai are the two military masterpieces of their time. Or wait, what year was Patton made in?

Don’t be confused. The messianic is just a conduit for the real substance of the movies.

I will take a minute here for some unforgivable sacrilege on many levels: Star Wars’s book is the Bible.

The Matrix’s is Simulacra and Simulation

I disagree. I think its one of the main reasons they are epic, culturally defining films.

apparently George Lucas was influenced by the works of Joseph Campbell, who in turn was influenced by Carl Jung and Mircea Eliade, the three gnostics of the modern era

he was influenced by many people. He was also influenced heavily by Akira Kurosawa, whose work included nothing of mesiahnism. only battle, honor, and subtler themes of the human experience.

Regardless of what generation you’re from, when it comes to philosophical themes, the matrix is immeasurably better then the star war films.

I’m polling more for the emotional and spiritual significance it has for you than for the amount and quality of philosophical themes.

I was thinking this too. Apples and Oranges. Not anything close to “Same concept really” as Duality said.

But, when it comes to philosophical themes, I don’t think I’ve yet come across a movie that comes even close to the quality of 2001

True but then Star Wars never set out to be philosophical, it’s pure fantasy in a galaxy far far away-- escapism. The Matrix’s philosophy wasn’t that deep, let’s face it, superficial at best I think. I think the question is flawed because both films set out to be very different things, so judging them with regard to each other is impossible. You might as well judge Lord of the Rings against Fight Club for all the similarities they exhibit.

Star wars is only escapism for those who like Star Wars and are escapists(i.e. losers).

A lot of the Star Wars literature is very good though, very deep.

Especially with Boba Fett.

Listen, I’m not equating these movies on the grounds of philosophical themes or messages. Indeed, as FJ says, I would be posting about movies like 2001 or eXistenz if that were the case. I am equating themm on grounds that Dualism hinted at; namely, that they are both generation defining movies that revolved around a Hero’s journey.

Don’t tell me which one you think is better quality, tell me which one got to you more.

Or, rather, which one means more to you.

Why are escapists losers? It’s not like they don’t wake up put on their shoes and go to work like everyone else. Some people like to relax with a fantasy some don’t, It hardly makes them a loser if they do. Not everything has to have some deep and intrinsic meaning, people might like both the depth and the fantasy…

I likes me fantasy and I likes me depth. Don’t judge me on it because I like a breadth of things. :slight_smile:

There’s a differance between enjoying something and using it as an “escape”.

I play a lot of RPG’s but that doesn’t mean i’m using it as an escape.

So what are you using it for? Be honest it’s something you do to get you away from the real world and something you can enjoy thus.

I am Honest, my life isn’t so miserable that I wish to escape from it.

I simply enjoy a good story, I like to encounter certain settings and ideas, recurring themes and all that.

In order to increase my own understanding, in fact my view of life is that of a story; so with that I see it as a way to be entertained and also learn at the same time.

Ever play Rome: Total War?

You forgot Lord of the Rings.