WORDS I HATE/LOVE

I’m an inveterate punster, Lady A. I took Anita as “a neater”.

Yep, I got that. :slight_smile: I’m not so adept; a visual pun was the best I could do by way of response.

phonetics, sonorants and fricatives are lovely, impressive words.

Fricatives gave me a small orgasm.

Orgasm is a disturbing word. it feels better than it sounds, but that’s not really a fair fight, is it.

Orgasm sounds like what it is. It packs an explosive munch and is over to soon.

“orrrrrRRRR…” and then “GASMMmmm…!”

I remember reading about an orgasm when I was young and I was terrified about having one.

I was worried I wouldn’t be able to handle it. Kind of like fear of taking acid for the first time.

But I can handle it, all too well, it turns out.

I am self employed and work at home, but I have to work at Starbucks, so as not to get into “trouble.”

without starbucks i’d never get anything done.

starbucks is a great word.

btw, I get paid to write things that are crisp, relevant and disciplined. lately i ghostwrite a shit-ton.

I have never written the word shit-ton, and I don’t ever say it. not sure about the hyphen. that uncertainty argues well for not using the word again.

but saying ton just seems so tired.

It’s soooooo relaxing to just riff like this, not having to worry whether it’s good.

i like the word “west”

Riff is a great word.

So is anonymous. And anonymity. Speaking of ghostwriting. (It’s the best thing about it, actually.)

Poe started all this when he coined the word “tintinabulation” for describing the sound of bells.
So, what are we asking to see here–

1. Words we just like? Or hate?
  2. Euphonious words vs cacaphanous words? (sounds)
  3. Words that sound like what they mean?
  4. All of the above?

No rules, just words you love er hate.

it started because i don’t like marketing jargon, the words actually make my physically ill.

fuck how can i type anything on this forum when every time I go to write something there’s this annoying dancing banana over in the
emoticon menu to the right.

This is the guy:

:banana-dance:

Jesus. Really?

I mean, how fucking philosophical am I going to get with that kind of idiocy in my peripheral vision? It’s just not very Kantian.

I hate that banana. Hate him.

The phrase banana dance is appalling, and it’s because of this emoticon. And the stupid peanut butter jelly thing that started it all.

Time was, I would have thought of harry belafonte or something – the phrase banana dance would have been oddly soothing, quaint, tropical and balmy.

But now it just means an atrocity of pixels, the bane of user-generated content, a post-modern hell where non-sequitors don’t even make ME laugh.

non-sequitors used to MEAN something to me. until a dancing banana came along and hijacked non-sequitors, ALL non-sequitors.

This banana is a nonsequitor that KILLED ALL NON SEQUITORS.

with all our abilities, and so many people suffering, and that banana is all we have to show for it. the world deserves to, I don’t know, what, explode?

But you’re in marketing, right? And you spend the majority of your waking hours producing dancing bananas… or grapes… or some pollyanna with big tits draped over the hood of a car. It’s the amurrican way! (oops, off topic) I like the word crotch. It trumps all the other bullshit words in sound and meaning… say it reeely slow…

You won’t catch me saying the word crotch in public, or even in private. It might explain why you’re alone these days. But it does speak to the potency and pungency of the word – the fact that I can’t say it for fear that my wife, once hearing it, will instantly fall out of love with me permanently. She might even fall out of love with life, like I did, when I read it above. Thanks for that.

And re: marketing, FUCK and YOU.

We don’t dream up dancing bananas. There is no WE in marketing. What we’re supposed to do is help people with a clear, memorable and motivating sales or brand message, which can mean just about anything. The banana means just about nothing, if even that. Which is not something I do in marketing.

A dancing banana by any other name is still… :laughing:

Sorry about the unmentionable word. Maybe rainey can produce a poetic treatment that would allow that word the light of day. I still like it, but I won’t say it in front of your wife. Safety first.

Crotch needs neither good marketing nor poetic treatment. Crotch is a damn fine word. (There is no WE in crotch.)

The dancing banana is evil, as are most emoticons. It just happens to be the evilist.

The dancing banana is an affront to anyone with even the tiniest bit of aesthetic sensibility.

But evil - mmm, I’ve recently taken quite a shine to that word.

rainey, just curious, is it evilist or evilest? Engrish confuses me sometimes.

Anita, so dish… what is it you find interesting in evil? You’re not contemplating something are you? :confused:

JT, apparently I’m even more clueless than I thought [size=75][the clueless, clueless about her cluelessness - it’s a vicious cycle - I’m getting dizzy][/size] - anyway, word on the street is that as a white woman, I personify evil and - AND! - I can make men do whatever I want them to do! How fun is that?!

Okay well gotta run, with all this power comes great responsibility you know, so much evil to do, so little time…

Lately the word ‘uptick’ is irritating. No known reason.

:laughing: Yeah, that’s a name I could hate with little effort. REAL UNORIGINAL. The epitome of dipshitism.

OK OK… you can do anything you want with me, just be gentle, please? O:)

Is that more irritating than ‘downtick’?

I’m tired of seeing the word ‘moron’. I mean, it’s … moronic.

From “Mother Goose”–
Diddle, diddle dumpling,
My son, John.
One shoe off
And one shoe on."
Isn’t that a beautiful set of words?

Or you’ll be a winner of bullshit bingo.

Bullshit! :laughing:

If I ever hear downtick, I’m sure it will be just as irritating, if not moreso.